What's new

E-cigarette teen popularity prompts concerns

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/09/11/electronic-cigarettes-quebec.html

Parents say Health Canada not doing enough with cigarette-like product

CBC News

Posted: Sep 11, 2012 10:50 AM ET

Last Updated: Sep 12, 2012 12:07 AM ET

hi-esmoke-852-8col.jpg

E-cigarettes have been gaining in popularity with teenagers. (Radio-Canada)

The risks of e-cigarettes2:23

Parents and experts are expressing concerns about the rising popularity of electronic cigarettes with teenagers since the product's health effects are still unknown.
The electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, have been increasingly present in Quebec corner stores over the past year and are being seen as a possible gateway to smoking. The product makes steam similar to tobacco smoke.
Health Canada forbids the sale of e-cigarettes that contain nicotine, but authorizes the sale of the nicotine-free version of the product.
More parents have been coming forward with concerns that Health Canada is not doing enough to control the product. Health Canada has not issued any concerns or reports about e-cigarettes since 2009.
In the last report, the federal health department recommended Canadians not to buy e-cigarettes because they could "pose health risks." The department did state that these risks had not been fully evaluated.
Quebec's public health director also recommended that people steer clear from the pseudo-cigarettes with or without nicotine. A warning published in June shows that the health and social services department is working to find out more about the product, including its chemical compounds and their effects on people's health and possible safety issues when using the product.

There are 8 year olds down my street you see very often rolling joints!

Id be happier seing a kid with an ecig....as long ad it wasnt better than mine!

Would be so pissed if I saw a 10 year old walking down the street rocking a hellfire and GGTS!

I kinda agree with you Darth, nobody would like to see a teen or under take up a nic habit at all but vaping is the lesser of 2 evils i guess in a weird way lol
The govt would have better time and money spent on stamping out teen drinking and drug taking, this would maybe also reduce crime, 2 stones and all that

2 stones? You Must have a bad aim....

I usually get 2 birds with one stone.....

:p:p:p

Anyway, yes totally agree judy

Alcohol is the worse drug ever,
if it was just been invented it would be banned and classed as a Class A drug
not only does it effect you but others around you
IE fighting/killings/hospital`s/police resources etc etc

Teenagers experiment with all kinds of things ... it's part of growing up.

These 'concerned' health bods should be grateful that teenagers are savvy enough to realise that vaping is a safer way to experiment than analogues.

Back
Top Bottom