What's new

Dutch to ban flavoured e-cigarette sales from 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
For myself, the problem with some of what has been said in this thread so far seems to be lumping all governments together over their policies towards vaping. But in reality they have different reasons for bringing in certain legislation in different forms in their countries.

Take the USA, yes they have a large tobacco industry, and it is a country where politics is a big money "industry". So it is inevitable that they federal government will be lobbied strongly to stamp out vaping / make it unattractive. Also on a state level a lot of the states vie to be the "cleanest" state, so for example in California both smokers, and vapers are made to feel like social outcasts. Also they do have evidence that a lot of "high school" students take up vaping, whilst never having been a smoker.
Don't forget they have had many cases of vaping causing lung problems, mainly due to idiots thinking it was fine to put THC in them so they could get out of their minds whilst out in public.

The Dutch government, whilst being one of the most liberal minded in Europe over cigarettes, Cannabis, and the sex industry, probably has concerns about youngsters that have not smoked, or used drugs may have the inclination to start vaping "candy" flavoured juice. Note that they are not banning all flavours, leaving vapers with only natural liquid, but are allowing Tobacco flavours which still fit in with the flavour profile of their "tolerated" products.

Turkey has taken a somewhat innovative approach so far. President Erdogan hates both smokers (despite having a large tobacco industry) and vapers alike, to the point where he said to one member of his cabinet that if he lit a cigarette in his presence he would be sacked. So far to piss the smokers off he has made it illegal to smoke in bars, restuarants, public buildings, etc. For vapers he has not banned it, but made it very difficult to get their supplies. It was explained to me once by one of my drivers whilst working there. Now I can't remember which way it worked but it was you could buy the kit in Turkey, but you could not buy juice, might have been the other way round though.

The UK on the other hand has one off the easiest going policies in the whole world as far as vapers go, I doubt if we would have ended up with the hated TPD rules if we had not been in the EU, as they were brought into the EU laws, legally our government had to impose them whether they wished to, or not.
Sometimes I have watched the Parliamentary channel on TV when there were debates over aspects of vaping legislation, and it was surprising how many MP's vape themselves.
Smoking has been actively discouraged over many years here, due to lobbying from various health organisations, and duty revenues are falling due to people either stopping smoking, or cutting down, although the duty rate is put up now, and again. Our government has no reason to cut down on vaping "as it takes away cigarette duty" don't forget every item we buy for vaping, tanks, mods, juice (flavoured or unflavoured) (20mg or 0mg) and even batteries produce 20% revenue in the form of VAT, not only that, but anything we import from China etc, is subject to possible duty charges.

You have to look at the wider picture / circumstances in each individual country before saying that governments are biased, or corrupt over vaping regulations.
Just so you are aware Bez the UK was one of the EU representatives that got the rulings thru in the first place ...

Just so you are aware Bez the UK was one of the EU representatives that got the rulings thru in the first place ...

I note your point, but that is not pertinent to my statement (although it was contained in a rather long post)
Here is that part again.

"I doubt if we would have ended up with the hated TPD rules if we had not been in the EU, as they were brought into the EU laws, legally our government had to impose them whether they wished to, or not."

So, my point was referring to if we were not in the EU at that point in time. So there would have been no UK MEP's to vote either way, in a parliament that had no jurisdiction over UK law.

If we had not been a member of the EU at the time the TPD regulations were debated / voted through in the EU parliament, I very much doubt that any debate on the matter would have taken place in the UK parliament due to lack of support, let alone have been voted on in favour of the same regulations being imposed in the UK.

Last edited:
What about being free of smoking weed?

that will never happen. neither will there be a blanket ban on tobacco products Which is something i would support. Ban flavours in Holland, mm i wouldn't even take any vapegear there, i would spend a lot of time drinking coffee though. Mind you i haven't been to Dam for 14 years now.

Such a backwards place to have legal smoking of a carcinogenic, physcoactive substance but no you can't smoke that strawberry milkshake flavouring..

AMSTERDAM: The Netherlands plans to ban flavoured electronic cigarettes from next year to make vaping less attractive to young people, the government said on Tuesday (Jun 23).

Flavours currently available range from mojito and strawberry ice cream to mango and chocolate, health authorities said.

With its sweet tastes and perceived lower health risks, vaping has rapidly become popular among young non-smokers, who are often seen to use them as a stepping stone to regular tobacco products.

"It is unacceptable that 20,000 people die every year in our country from the effects of smoking and that every day around 75 kids start smoking", deputy health minister Paul Blokhuis said.

"The smoke-free generation we see coming also needs to be free of electronic cigarettes."

The government will refine the tobacco law to include the ban on flavoured e-cigarettes, which is likely to take effect in the first half of next year, the government said.

Tobacco-flavoured vaping products will remain available, mainly to help regular smokers kick their habit, it said.

E-cigarettes, which electrically vaporise a nicotine-infused solution, are defended by proponents as a healthier alternative to regular cigarettes. But studies have shown the devices were more damaging to health than expected.

In 2015, the Dutch Institute for Public Health showed smoke from e-cigarettes contained all kinds of chemical substances which could cause cancer. Late last year, US researchers said the use of them increased the risk of developing chronic lung conditions such as asthma or emphysema.

A Dutch government report in 2017 said that over a quarter of people aged 12-16 said they had tried vaping at least once.

Electronic cigarettes and water pipes have been banned in the Netherlands for anyone under the age of 18 since 2016.
Hold up a second …. They sell weed legally but vapes are banned lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom