What's new

Doors hide tobacco displays New Zealand

K

KulrMeStoopid

A Blenheim construction company has been on a marathon tour of Marlborough, Tasman and the West Coast fitting cupboard doors to cigarette display cabinets at dairies and gas stations.
As of today tobacco products must be completely hidden from public view and stockists are no longer allowed to make reference to them, under the Smoke-free Environments Amendment Bill passed in July 2011.
The bill raises the fines for selling tobacco products to under-18s, with the maximum penalty is $10,000 for a business, compared to $2000 in the past. An instant fine of up to $1000 for underage sales will also be imposed.
Blenheim construction company Andrew Lawson Builder Ltd got the contract to fit cupboard doors to all the Imperial Tobacco display cabinets in dairies, supermarkets and petrol stations in Marlborough, Tasman and the West Coast.
Contract manager Paul Bell said it was a four-day marathon to fit the doors of tobacco displays at about 30 dairies, supermarkets and petrol stations.
The doors were built in a factory in the North Island and delivered to Blenheim, he said. "Two of our guys just loaded up the truck and drove around Blenheim, Nelson and all the way down the West Coast."
Most business owners seemed to accept the law change and only one or two people thought it would have a negative effect on sales, he said.
High Street Dairy and Takeaway manager Ashley Solomon said the cupboards are "ugly", but do not appear to have deterred people from wanting to buy cigarettes.
"People are coming in a bit confused asking if we still sell smokes. . . they look a bit worried until they find out we still have them."
Britain-based Imperial Tobacco, which is one of the top two manufacturers and distributors of tobacco products in New Zealand, organised and paid for the doors to be fitted.
Electronic cigarettes which are designed to help people quit smoking will also have to be removed from display, Solomon said.
LAW CHANGES
Retailers must not allow any tobacco product to be visible to the public.
Tobacco prices can no longer be openly displayed.
Retailers can display a sign indicating that tobacco products are available in the store, but the current "Smoking Kills" and "No Sales to Under 18s" sign will be prohibited.
Retail or trading names that contain words, phrases, trademarks or company names that advertise the availability of tobacco products will be prohibited.
Retailers can receive instant fines for some offences.
<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/likebox.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fhome.php%3F%23%21%2Fthemarlboroughexpress&width=300&colorscheme=light&show_faces=false&border_color&stream=false&header=false&height=62" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
- The Marlborough Express

Retail or trading names that contain words, phrases, trademarks or company names that advertise the availability of tobacco products will be prohibited.

So even the word tobacconist would be banned? Talk about overkill... this denormalisation crap is just getting surreal now.

"People are coming in a bit confused asking if we still sell smokes. . . they look a bit worried until they find out we still have them."

All of our local ASDA's have fitted big sliding doors over the ciggie section - and it does look as though they've closed the kiosk! They've put signs on the front saying that they carry a full stock of tobacco products and sales are carrying on as normal!

Like SteffiJade has said - OVERKILL. I can't wait to see armed guards and patrol dogs patrolling the ready meal, booze and non-diet drinks sections! :biggrin-new:

Ragiv, my friendly Dairy guy explained it to me: you can't open the door to show them what's in the cabinet, but you can show them a pre-printed sheet with pictures of the packets on.

Ok, that makes no sense at all. But the anti-fun brigade will be happy.

Being in Parliament is joy admixed
Tariana's had her tummy fixed
Now she eats but once a day
And smoker's rights she takes away

Turia_Turiana3c__Small_.jpg

Planking Dunne's hair is a rug
His voting makes no sense,
But he bans every single drug
While sitting on the fence

peter-dunne-hair-today-gone-tomorrow1.jpg

Politicians are the same everywhere.

I thought they were closed too when we went in to buy a lotto ticket. I checked the price list (our local asda didnt have pics!) no ecigs listed there either!

Personally, I think it's stupid ( i think a lot of things are stupid )

It is up to PARENTS to raise their children up proper.

Most kids start to smoke by nicking a cig from where? Their PARENTS.

Most kids are asked to smoke by WHO? Their MATES.

My kids, even though I smoked, we had the smoking talk and theyve seen what it can do. They also have seen first hand the benefits switching to vaping has :)

I taught them that. Not the govvie, not the cig companies, not the school or some law. I did.

You can hide it, it just means the kids will learn about them somewhere else.

Where one door closes, another one opens :) at least it is providing work for the cabinet makers. Seems a load of pointless beaurocracy to me but what do I know!

Back
Top Bottom