What's new

Could a flavour ban eventually make its way to the UK?

As someone who lives in the US, the government nannies have decided we are worse than Big Tobacco.
San Francisco is quite another matter. Drug addicts regularly shoot up in full view at transit stations and nothing is done. Sanitation teams are devoted to sweeping hypo gear off downtown streets, yet they cannot keep up. Many of the hypos are provided by, you guessed it, the same people who banned vape flavors.
I could go on, but you get the idea.

I don't think it will but the industry can do a lot more to make sure it doesn't.

The biggest persuader to the general public is the whole 'marketing to kids' argument, if they are convinced by that then we're fucked and a flavour ban will be the least of our problems.

No childish packaging and if you are going to make a sweet mixed fruit flavour call it something other than Skiffles, Stikkles, Swiffles or whatever. ... Gummy Bears? no, lets not go there, you can have that flavour but call it something else and at least try and make it seem like it's made for adults and is a serious alternative to smoking rather than an alternative to eating a packet of sweets.

As far as I'm concerned that's the biggest thread to vaping right now. The public will see a tobacco product, made by the tobacco industry, that is being targeted at kids.

Like @ObiWanVaponi says it is a lot like the whole alco-pops thing

"One of the first complaints was from Alcohol Concern. They argued that the cartoon lemon on Hooper's Hooch appealed to under-18s. Owners Bass accepted the findings and changed their packaging."

Lets not wait until we are forced in to talking action and lets not load the gun with ammo for people that would happily shoot us down.

Flavoured ciders, vodka and gin etc are all really popular now .... strongbow dark fruits is 100% alco-pop and barely even tastes alcoholic but they had the sense not to call it Vinto and put a smiley cartoon face on the can.

Package, name and market it sensibly and we'll be fine.

Maybe not, we dont have a Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) like the USA. The EU, Labour Party and the SNP are gagging to further restrict vaping and make it as expensive and unattractive as possible, the Tories know full well that there are massive financial black-holes and that Brexit will fuck it up even more. The latest EU consultation on excise duties for liquids and Novel Tobacco Products is a massive threat to consumers, manufacturers and vendors. Tie that in with the "Think of the children" brigade and vaping is under the cosh big time. Even smokers tend to dislike vapers, sit in the smoking area vaping at Wetherspoons, there's nearly always some tension.

It's all very well people suggesting DIY, it's not for everyone and certainly no good to vendors, in 6 years of vaping I know of only 10-15 people who DIY their juice. Having worked in a vape shop on and off there are a fair amount of people who are and remain clueless about how long their stock coils last and how to change them, it's a complete mystery to them. I just cant imagine them making their own juices. The people enthusiastic about rebuildables and making juice are online, on social media and members of forums, they are not really seen in vape shops, certainly not buying much, shops rely on selling stock coils and eliquid, that's where the weekly and sometimes daily repeat business is.

Maybe not, we dont have a Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) like the USA. The EU, Labour Party and the SNP are gagging to further restrict vaping and make it as expensive and unattractive as possible, the Tories know full well that there are massive financial black-holes and that Brexit will fuck it up even more. The latest EU consultation on excise duties for liquids and Novel Tobacco Products is a massive threat to consumers, manufacturers and vendors. Tie that in with the "Think of the children" brigade and vaping is under the cosh big time. Even smokers tend to dislike vapers, sit in the smoking area vaping at Wetherspoons, there's nearly always some tension.

It's all very well people suggesting DIY, it's not for everyone and certainly no good to vendors, in 6 years of vaping I know of only 10-15 people who DIY their juice. Having worked in a vape shop on and off there are a fair amount of people who are and remain clueless about how long their stock coils last and how to change them, it's a complete mystery to them. I just cant imagine them making their own juices. The people enthusiastic about rebuildables and making juice are online, on social media and members of forums, they are not really seen in vape shops, certainly not buying much, shops rely on selling stock coils and eliquid, that's where the weekly and sometimes daily repeat business is.

We get quite a nice mix of mixers and what you would consider your "Standard Vapers" in our shop, but I totally agree with your point, if something like this where to come over to the UK (which we understand may be more unlikely, the UK has taken a softer approach to the TPD than other countries), people who just want to use their stock coils and don't want to make their own liquid, as they may find it a bit daunting, may be put off vaping and go back to smoking which is so much more harmful. We always try to educate customers on how to use their vape and what eliquid is best for what they are trying to achieve, be it to completely quit or turn it into more of a hobby, backward attitudes such as the flavour ban are completely counter productive to harm reduction.

We have just been swapping stories of smoker disdain in the office, one of the girls was actually asked to move away by a smoker because it bothered them in a local pub, unsurprisingly she didn't exactly comply.

We have just been swapping stories of smoker disdain in the office, one of the girls was actually asked to move away by a smoker because it bothered them in a local pub, unsurprisingly she didn't exactly comply.

I have been hassled about my "Toxic Fumes" by an American in America.:D

If a smoker had the balls to confront me about vaping the second word would be off.

I have been hassled about my "Toxic Fumes" by an American in America.:D

If a smoker had the balls to confront me about vaping the second word would be off.

Well, as we said, she wasn't exactly compliant with the request :D that's the polite way of putting it!

Back
Top Bottom