Vape Club
What's new

British Medical Journal Study

Mr Ripple

Legend
http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j3262

Not sure if this has been shared yet.
The two paragraphs selected are a couple of key points for those that loose the plot as I did when reading as it's quite lengthy.
I suggest getting the kettle boiled.

""""""""Discussion
This study has two principal findings. First, in 2014-15, e-cigarette users in the United States attempted to quit cigarette smoking and succeeded in quitting at higher rates than non-users. Second, the overall population smoking cessation rate in 2014-15 increased statistically significantly from that in 2010-11. The 1.1 percentage point increase in cessation rate (from 4.5% to 5.6%) might appear small, but it represents approximately 350 000 additional US smokers who quit in 2014-15.

Conclusion and policy implications
This study, based on the largest representative sample of e-cigarette users to date, provides a strong case that e-cigarette use was associated with an increase in smoking cessation at the population level. We found that e-cigarette use was associated with an increased smoking cessation rate at the level of subgroup analysis and at the overall population level. It is remarkable, considering that this is the kind of data pattern that has been predicted but not observed at the population level for cessation medication, such as nicotine replacement therapy and varenicline.2325264344 This is the first statistically significant increase observed in population smoking cessation among US adults in nearly a quarter of a century.23 These findings need to be weighed carefully in regulatory policy making and in the planning of tobacco control interventions.45""""""""

Smoore
http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j3262

Not sure if this has been shared yet.
The two paragraphs selected are a couple of key points for those that loose the plot as I did when reading as it's quite lengthy.
I suggest getting the kettle boiled.

""""""""Discussion
This study has two principal findings. First, in 2014-15, e-cigarette users in the United States attempted to quit cigarette smoking and succeeded in quitting at higher rates than non-users. Second, the overall population smoking cessation rate in 2014-15 increased statistically significantly from that in 2010-11. The 1.1 percentage point increase in cessation rate (from 4.5% to 5.6%) might appear small, but it represents approximately 350 000 additional US smokers who quit in 2014-15.

Conclusion and policy implications
This study, based on the largest representative sample of e-cigarette users to date, provides a strong case that e-cigarette use was associated with an increase in smoking cessation at the population level. We found that e-cigarette use was associated with an increased smoking cessation rate at the level of subgroup analysis and at the overall population level. It is remarkable, considering that this is the kind of data pattern that has been predicted but not observed at the population level for cessation medication, such as nicotine replacement therapy and varenicline.2325264344 This is the first statistically significant increase observed in population smoking cessation among US adults in nearly a quarter of a century.23 These findings need to be weighed carefully in regulatory policy making and in the planning of tobacco control interventions.45""""""""

Hi mate,

Good god it goes on a bit.
I almost fell asleep by the end.

If I read it right they are backing up the theory that vaping reduces smoking.

But it is a report from the US, and all the states are doing their best make vaping difficult, or even stamp it out completely, despite there being no federal law against it.

@Badboybez
Essentially yes.
It's a study carried out by the British Medical Journal in the states as to wether folks were more successful in quitting smoking using vaping as NRT.
It was this study that has made the states hold off from banning vaping by extending for a further 4 years for more information to be gained.

AcmeFog
Back
Top Bottom