What's new

At it again! Tories plan to hit 2.9million with VAPE TAX

Juice Shop

Postman
Tories plan to hit 2.9million with VAPE TAX to raise extra £40million for NHS

WHITEHALL sources say so-called ‘sin-taxes’, which are set to hit the UK’s 2.9million vapers in their pockets, will produce increases of £40million in this year’s autumn budget for the NHS.

By SAM STEVENSON
PUBLISHED: 00:42, Thu, Aug 2, 2018 | UPDATED: 02:24, Thu, Aug 2, 2018

Vaping-Tax-997720.jpg

So-called "sin taxes" are set to hit the UK's 2.9million vapers in their pockets (Image: GETTY)
The taxes are part of an initiative by the Treasury to find ways of funding the extra £20billion pledged to the NHS.

They would introduce the punitive measure to a recreational activity which claims to help people stop smoking.

Last night Chris Snowdon, of think tank the Institute of Economic Affairs, said a vaping tax would harm the UK’s health.

He said: “The UK’s liberal approach to vaping has become a model for the rest of the world.”

Supporters of vaping say it cuts cigarette consumption and therefore has a positive impact on public health.

Roughly half of regular users claimed they used e-cigarettes to curb their smoking habit.

Thirteen organisations, including Public Health England and Cancer Research UK, released a joint statement in 2015 on vaping, reporting that it was at least 95 percent less harmful to health than cigarettes.

Users of vaping and e-cigarette devices typically spend £275 a year of vaping fluid - a five percent tax would cost them £13.75 annually and raise almost £40million.

The UK Vaping Industry Association (UKVIA) is the UK’s leading forum for supporting, developing and promoting the £1billion vaping industry.

The UKVIA professes vaping will be known as a 21st-century success story.

The Association says it “fully supports responsible regulation that is in the best interests of consumers”.

However, it disputes the EU’s current approach of putting vaping products in the same bracket as tobacco.

The UKVIA is calling for an urgent review with industry involvement on the EU’s current position.

The average 20-a-day smoker spends more than £3,700 a year on cigarettes.

According to the Tobacco Manufacturers’ Association, the tax, both excise duty and VAT, raised through the sale of tobacco products continues to be a major source of revenue for the Government, contributing around £12billion annually.

On a typical pack of 20 cigarettes the total tax burden of £6.28 accounts for 82 percent of the recommended retail price (RRP) of £8.50.

Vaping-Tax-1443669.jpg

Users of vaping and e-cigarette devices typically spend £275 a year of vaping fluid. (Image: GETTY)
And on some of the least expensive brands the total tax burden accounts for up to 90 percent of the RRP.

The Government’s policy of high-level taxation has resulted in taxes on tobacco products in the UK being among the highest in the world.

Credit: The Express
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/9...-cigarettes-treasury-NHS-autumn-budget-vaping

to be fair if we want vaping to be reconised as its own thing then taxes from the tories will follow, same as pasty tax.

It means the industy is recognised as its own thing rather than as a tie in to tobacco,

What suprises me is that we have never actually seen a drive for vaping business in this country, such a growing industry and yet there is no support for growing it from the government

Frankly, it wouldn't matter which party was in power, they all would do the same. Kinda inevitable really.

It pisses me right off how these tabloid idiots claim it'll raise money for the NHS. Utter bollocks.

Yep, it was always a matter of when. Ridiculous in a way though that vapers are being stung with the NHS shortfall since vaping has potentially kept a lot of people out of hospital.
I mean, I get the argument that vaping has indirectly cost the government a lot of tobacco tax revenue, but still.

It means the industy is recognised as its own thing rather than as a tie in to tobacco,

To me it suggests the exact opposite. Vaping being lumped in with tobacco (again!) and therefore having to pay for the "sins" of tobacco.

We need to publicly shame the Gov over this. They are responsible for people smoking, they legalize tobacco. They allow it to be sold knowing it is more addictive than Heroin. What can you do to prevent getting taxed. Buy loads of juice now before they tax it and if you want a new device buy it from China. This will at least show them they can't get away with taxing a product that gets used as a cessation device. After all they are willing to put the money up for methadone which is a medicine to help people quit smack.
Another thing to consider is a tax will drive the underground of cheap shit being sold at car boots etc which the Gov will make nothing out of.
The Gov should be happy with the VAT they get. But nope the tax is aimed to get people back on the fags and that is the be end and all of what the Gov is aiming at. WANKERS! the lot of em

To me it suggests the exact opposite. Vaping being lumped in with tobacco (again!) and therefore having to pay for the "sins" of tobacco.
You have to take into account the government want to tax everything they can.

they tax your home, your car, your food, your water, your utilities, your pay, etc

then they tax your luxeries, like your ciggies, your vapes, your alchohol, your sugar (was once a luxury item), your snack food.

It is the way of the country, they even taxed your spare room in your home. They would tax the air we breathe if the Lorax would let them

You have to take into account the government want to tax everything they can.

they tax your home, your car, your food, your water, your utilities, your pay, etc

then they tax your luxeries, like your ciggies, your vapes, your alchohol, your sugar (was once a luxury item), your snack food.

It is the way of the country, they even taxed your spare room in your home. They would tax the air we breathe if the Lorax would let them
Yes, totally. I'm inured to taxes. It's the sin I'm arguing. In a futile manner.

Back
Top Bottom