What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Are E-Cigarettes Here to Stay?

K

KulrMeStoopid

By Denise Mann
WebMD Health News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
69x75_e_cigarettes_unknown_consequences.jpg

July 20, 2012 -- Electronic cigarettes are picking up steam -- and not surprisingly, especially among smokers.That is the main message that comes from a new study in theAmerican Journal of Public Health.About 40% of individuals reported they had heard of e-cigarettes, and awareness was highest among smokers. What's more, smokers seem to be among the most likely to use e-cigarettes.E-cigarettes go by many names including vapors, personal vaporizers, and nicotine vaporizers. There are many brands, flavors, and nicotine strengths available for purchase at convenience stores and on the Internet. They are not regulated by the FDA as a drug delivery device because they are not marketed as quit-smoking aids."This is an unproven device and we know very little about its long-term health effects," says researcher Jennifer Pearson, PhD, MPH. She is a research investigator at Legacy, an antismoking group in Washington, D.C. "E-cigarettes are probably less harmful than combustible cigarettes, [but] we don't have data to say that and can't talk about long-term effect."There are many unknowns and unanswered questions, she says. For example, have they encouraged former smokers to reignite their nicotine addiction? Are current smokers using them to quit or to circumvent smoke-free indoor air laws? And how are they affecting people who have never smoked. "Are they acting as a gateway products?"Pearson and colleagues call for greater regulation of these products until these questions are answered.
Anatomy of an E-Cigarette

E-cigarettes resemble traditional cigarettes. They have a cartridge, a mouthpiece, a vaporizer, and an indicator light. Here's how they work: You inhale, and the vaporizer converts a nicotine-containing solution into a vapor mist. The smoker then inhales this vapor. When the vaporizer runs out, you can purchase refill cartridges.According to many harm-reduction advocates, their main selling point is that they only contain nicotine, not all of the other hundreds of other chemicals found in tobacco. This suggests that they may be a safer cigarette.The new findings suggest that smokers are interested and have tried e-cigarettes as cessation devices. E-cigarette manufacturers do not market their products as such. But "the word on the street is that these are cessation devices and should be used as such," Pearson says.
E-Cigarettes May Be Here to Stay

Another issue with e-cigarettes is that you can't always be sure what you are getting when you purchase nicotine cartridges.Pearson suggests using FDA-approved smoking cessation tools to quit smoking.Michael Siegel, MD, disagrees. He is the associate chairman of community health sciences at the Boston University School of Public Health.They do have an important role to play in getting people to quit smoking, he says. "Taking them off of the market would be a disaster because essentially all of these smokers would be forced to go back to cigarette smoking," he "They feel like a cigarette, look like a cigarette, and you smoke it like a cigarette and see vapor when you exhale," he says. This is appealing to a smoker who is often as addicted to the nicotine as the actual act of smoking a cigarette.They are not attracting new smokers, he says. "Very few never-smokers are using these products, so all the concerns that kids and nonsmokers are going to use them seem unfounded," Siegel says.Gilbert Ross, MD, agrees. He is the executive director and medical director of the American Council on Science and Health, a New York City-based consumer education/public health organization."E-cigs contain only water vapor, safe [diluents] such as glycerin, and nicotine, in a cigarette-like delivery device, and [are] highly likely to be much less harmful than inhaling combusted tobacco smoke."predicts.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20120720/are-e-cigarettes-here-to-stay?page=2

The gateway product is ridiculous, I think most of ex smokers, scoff at NON smokers that pick this up. Ill tell anyone, yer an idiot if you start vaping just for the hell of it.

The gateway product is ridiculous, I think most of ex smokers, scoff at NON smokers that pick this up. Ill tell anyone, yer an idiot if you start vaping just for the hell of it.

you are of course entitled to your own opinion but as a life long non smoker who wouldn't have gone anywhere near an analogue i have tried my wifes pv several times and while i can't see myself vaping regularly i quite enjoy trying her new flavours and as it's not particularly damaging to my health i don't see why vapers would have any issue with this, i'm an adult making an informed decision on what i put into my body, certainly don't consider myself an idiot

i thought that vapers would like to see vaping gaining popularity but perhaps not

cheers

All smokers were non smokers at one time.... I think they are wiser to become a vaper than a smoker and a lot wiser to go straight to ecigs rather than using fags to warrant their use :strawberry:

you are of course entitled to your own opinion but as a life long non smoker who wouldn't have gone anywhere near an analogue i have tried my wifes pv several times and while i can't see myself vaping regularly i quite enjoy trying her new flavours and as it's not particularly damaging to my health i don't see why vapers would have any issue with this, i'm an adult making an informed decision on what i put into my body, certainly don't consider myself an idiot

i thought that vapers would like to see vaping gaining popularity but perhaps not

cheers

I probably didn't word it correctly, so let me try it again. I did write this while the house was being shouted down/barking mad by the kids and dog.

I think if someone was a non smoker, had no interest in it, wouldn't want to start vaping. But if you chose to do so, right on, the more the merrier.

I just have only met one other non-smoker who went to vaping, skipping the whole cigarette smoking thing...And it was almost like she started doing it to fit in with her exsmoking,now vaping friends. Needless to say, she didn't stick with it.

It's part of human nature, I can't wrap my head around why a 100% non smoker, would want to pick up vaping (0 nic maybe?)

So forgive my ignorance as there have been very few introduced to me and I had no idea that was how you became a vaper :) I didn't mean to insult at all.

Last edited:
All smokers were non smokers at one time.... I think they are wiser to become a vaper than a smoker and a lot wiser to go straight to ecigs rather than using fags to warrant their use :strawberry:

my thoughts exactly, had my wife stayed on the analogues i more than likely would never have tried vaping, perhaps some vapers feel that any non smokers that begin vaping would make bad press for them and i can see this point but if it's really as harmless as everyone seems to think what's the problem you can't have it all ways, if it's harmful USMMUK makes a valid point, if it's as harmless as everyone seems to make out then what difference does it make ?

cheers

my thoughts exactly, had my wife stayed on the analogues i more than likely would never have tried vaping, perhaps some vapers feel that any non smokers that begin vaping would make bad press for them and i can see this point but if it's really as harmless as everyone seems to think what's the problem you can't have it all ways, if it's harmful USMMUK makes a valid point, if it's as harmless as everyone seems to make out then what difference does it make ?

cheers

Anything is harmful in excess and anything that is not meant to be in our bodies will have a even a fractionally small effect on our bodies, sometimes positive, other times not.

Non smokers who pick up vaping are kind of Elite in this aspect. There are not many people who do it.

So educate me? I can't change my opinion if I don't understand it.

A non smoker often starts smoking to fit in with their friends..... in my opinion they would be better if their smoking friends had switched to vaping.

If they were going to start smoking to impress, its pointless to tell them not to vape...... One advantage though, with vaping they can choose to eliminate the addictive nicotine. Which means if the habit is purely to fit in, they can stop whenever their circle of friends change...... unlike addicted smokers. :strawberry:

Remember most pick up bad habits when they are young..... and the young often can't envisage future dangers.

i'm sure you're vastly more experienced in both analogues and vaping than myself a non smoker who has only vaped a few times, don't think it's a case of educating you, just took exception to being referred to as an idiot that's all, i'm interested in different points of view and was genuinely curious about vapers opinions of non smokers taking up vaping.
i did also ask my wife if she only switched to vaping only for the potential health benefits would she be happy to be asked to vape outside amongst smokers and she said she would which as a non smoker surprised me, it just goes to show that depending on your perspective opinions vary, none of us are right or wrong, it's up to everyone to educate themselves and make there own choices, in my opinion anyone that ever began smoking is an idiot however i don't think the same of non smokers who begin vaping

Back
Top Bottom