What's new

America's first vaping accident fatality

Correct me if I am wrong but when mechs explode or fire an atty like a rocket, is it not almost always an internal short in the battery.
Venting holes have little effect because of the speed of reaction. the atty is most likely to strip the threads and be launched at high speed.
Battery abuse is the most likely cause of such an internal short.

Sorry I do not have links, but that is my understanding from stuff i have read over the last few years.

I do not believe good or bad mod design have a huge bearing on these incidents, but pushing batteries too hard for too long does.
Most of us have seen at least one video of a mod going boom, instantly, no warning. That does not happen because of an atty short, or aotofire, or poor venting. believe it happens when an abused battery is used too long and shorts internally when crystals (dendrites) pierce the pos/neg barrier.

I am sure other mech users will know more about this than me, and put me right.

I'm sorry, but the article just does not sound right to me. And I sincerely apologise if it is true.

The main reason being, why would F.E.M.A. (Federal Emergency Management Agency) be commenting on an ecig accident, even if it was fatal.
Unless someone can tell me different, I was under the impression that they where only called in to deal with the aftermath of a disaster and the such like..

Another thing that bugs me is, would a single 18650 battery exploding (even an unvented mech) produce enough energy to propel any part of said mech (or the atty ) with enough force to completely penetrate the human skull.

And with this being in the dailyfail, exactly how much of it is factual/accurate.

I'm sorry, but the article just does not sound right to me. And I sincerely apologise if it is true.

The main reason being, why would F.E.M.A. (Federal Emergency Management Agency) be commenting on an ecig accident, even if it was fatal.
Unless someone can tell me different, I was under the impression that they where only called in to deal with the aftermath of a disaster and the such like..

Another thing that bugs me is, would a single 18650 battery exploding (even an unvented mech) produce enough energy to propel any part of said mech (or the atty ) with enough force to completely penetrate the human skull.

And with this being in the dailyfail, exactly how much of it is factual/accurate.

IT is true. It is not one news artcle, it is well covered in the American media, including the coroners report.
Have you not seen pictures of attys embedded in walls? Yes an 18650 can do that.

Edit. Just looked at your postings hoping to find you were not a mech user. Immediately see you have exploded (i assume you mean vented) a mech. I would say understanding how bad it can go is essential if you are going to use a mech.

Last edited:
Another timely reminder for us mech users not to take anything for granted and check our kit regularly.

Another timely reminder for us mech users not to take anything for granted and check our kit regularly.

I really do not think it is the kit but what you do with it. Do you have kit to check what is going on inside your battery?
Do you push you batteries beyond what thet were designed to do?
Do you know how long you can do that before shit happens?

I do not push my batteries so do not have to know, but if you are pushing things beyond recognized safety limits, the batteries are what you want to be checking as much as the rest of your kit. I am sure Mooch will have covered the topic somewhere.

I really do not think it is the kit but what you do with it. Do you have kit to check what is going on inside your battery?
Do you push you batteries beyond what thet were designed to do?
Do you know how long you can do that before shit happens?

I do not push my batteries so do not have to know, but if you are pushing things beyond recognized safety limits, the batteries are what you want to be checking as much as the rest of your kit. I am sure Mooch will have covered the topic somewhere.
Agreed, but could just have been just a faulty cell that escaped the QC checks...

Back
Top Bottom