What's new

America's first vaping accident fatality

Looking at the kit which would be similar to this one it probably had no vent escape holes turning it into a pipe bomb.

https://www.roadsidevapes.com/colle...v-rex-copper-mod-by-smok-e-mountain-authentic

The throw of the recessed bottom firing button is adjustable and light to the touch while keeping the mod from firing when placed upright. A reverse-threaded locking ring prevents accidental firing and the solid copper contact pin can be adjusted for both atomizer fit and battery rattle. Vent holes are hidden in the switch and are functional when the locking ring is open.

The throw of the recessed bottom firing button is adjustable and light to the touch while keeping the mod from firing when placed upright. A reverse-threaded locking ring prevents accidental firing and the solid copper contact pin can be adjusted for both atomizer fit and battery rattle. Vent holes are hidden in the switch and are functional when the locking ring is open.
Surprised me that.
I read the article and it said the mod exploded and fired into his skull with something dislodging into his brain.

• Autopsy report explains the vape exploded and penetrated his skull and brain

Nasty business. Poor man.
Vape Safe everyone.
It's easy to become complacent when using a device day in day out.

I've got one of those [right side in photo]. They're selling them quite cheaply there, well made too.
Old fashioned design compared to now & I can imagine the switch getting sticky if not kept clean and checked properly. Spring might have collapsed. But it's a 'high-end' mech mod made in the Philippines nearly half a decade ago so if it has an inherently dangerous design fault it's taken a while to come to light.

IMAG0865.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one of those [right side in photo]. They're selling them quite cheaply there, well made too.
Old fashioned design compared to now & I can imagine the switch getting sticky if not kept clean and checked properly. Spring might have collapsed. But it's a 'high-end' mech mod made in the Philippines nearly half a decade ago so if it has an inherently dangerous design fault it's taken a while to come to light.

Does it have a venting system?

On offer though. :8:

Threads are buttery smooth, as the Youtubers say - you can lock it with a deft flick.

Does it have a venting system?

It does - holes under the switch contact plus a loose-fitting button with a gap around it. You can't tell from the outside though. It occurs to me as I checked it just now that it would likely auto-fire if the contact got loose and the lack of movement in the button didn't alert you. Especially if you have the cell positive down. It's an old uncommon mech though - that site is the only one selling it that I've seen in years so it's unlikely to happen again any time soon I'd hope. Got mine in a sale from Local Vape in the US.

Edit - just looked and it was under £30 in the sale, according to me in 2015 - massive bargain at the time. Supposedly they were selling off the last remaining stock iirc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom