What's new

21 billion reasons to ban ecigs

It really does. It seems like a concerted campaign as Puddlecote points out in his blog

I read some of it, then I felt myself falling asleep :) ... let me know when a cartoon version is released, I can just about cope with cartoons :)

Well, I'm not going to argue with James' estimates but...

Total tax revenue from tobacco for the current financial year was £9.5 billion or £12.1 billion if you include VAT. Which is 2% of the total revenue.

A lot of money!

Now you can massage figures to say what you like, of course, but apparently the cost to the NHS of smoking is about £2.7 billion. But when you add in things like fires caused by smoking, cleaning up cigarette butts, apparent loss of productivity (yes, that old chestnut), absenteeism from work (yawn) etc. apparently it cranks it up to around £13 billion.

Now that could be a load of old toot, but if that argument works, then if everyone packed up smoking, the savings would pretty much equal the loss in revenue.

Let's hope so - because if that's true, there won't be any need for the government to tax e-cigs.

Of course, the problem is the interim period. As smokers convert to vaping, there will be a drop in revenue but not a correspondingly noticeable saving. I think that's where the danger area lies...

Cheers
Adam

then I felt myself falling asleep :) ... let me know when a cartoon version is released

Mum ... I wasn't but now I have too ... LOL :strawberry:

sick-in-bed-598x441.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ps.. Mum can you delete the extra pic uploaded by mistake please Mum... :strawberry:

Also, think about this... a lot of us are ex smokers gone to vaping... We are still going to have some kind of later in life effect from the years of damage we've done to our bodies. The NHS is still paying to clean up our mistake while more and more people are converting to vaping. So the revenue income is going to dwindle while the cost of healthcare is going to relatively stay the same (when it comes to smoking related illnesses) We may be prolonging the inevitable, but the bill is still going to be there when it is said and done.

The gap however small or large over the next 10, 15, 20 years is going to have to be covered until real cigs are a thing of the past and vaping is the only available option (once more clinical studies show the risk from vaping is significantly less than smoking)...

Am I making sense or is this my over-active imagination again?

Last edited:
You always make perfect sense to me .... its just that I have the attention span of a gnat ! ;)

Back
Top Bottom