What's new

18-year-old college student's lung COLLAPSED after vaping Juul pods

"Juul pods almost killed me: 18-year-old college student's lung COLLAPSED after vaping for a year
  • Chance Ammirata's left lung collapsed last week
  • The 18-year-old from Florida had to have surgery to reinflate the lung
  • If he hadn't gotten to the hospital fast enough, he would have died
  • Doctors told him the hole in his lung was from smoking - but Chance said he smokes about on Juul pod every two days
  • Chance will never be able to run cross country again or SCUBA dive Juul claims that it's products are 'safer' than cigarettes
  • At least nine other teenage vapers in Wisconsin were hospitalized last week US regulators are demanding Juul to disclose the chemicals in its pods
  • Chance is using social media to warn other teens to stop vaping
An 18-year-old college student's lung collapsed due to damage from the toxic chemicals in his mint Juul pods, he told DailyMail.com.

Chance Ammirata, a rising freshman at Florida International University (FIU) in Miami, was at death's door last week as a result of the device he thought was 'safe.'

On average, Chance vaped about one Juul pod every two days - roughly the equivalent of 10 cigarettes-worth of nicotine a day.

The Food and Drug Administration does not cap nicotine content for cigarettes or vapes, contents of other chemicals vary from product to product and everyone's tolerances vary for nicotine are different, so it's not clear how much is too much.

It has recently announced plans to add more substances to its list of toxins e-cig and cigarette makers must be disclose, as well as to regulate nicotine content.

But these changes didn't come soon enough to save Chance vaping far more than his young body could handle.

What he thought was just a strained muscle turned out to be devastating damage that required major surgery to repair to repair.

Now, Chance is blasting a warning against the trendy e-cigarettes to his social media as he begins the long road to recovery. "

Full story here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ents-lung-COLLAPSED-vaping-year.html#comments

Can't say I know much about Juul pods. never used them. Comments anyone?

I have never read so much shit in all my vaping days. Sorry for biffing on, but get a fucking grip for fuck sakes.

Try not to get too worked up about it @3dj we don’t your lung collapsing and you ending up in the news.

Having just spent 20 minutes reading hundreds of the comments attached to the mail article, the big news for me, arising from this story is that, the general public are no better advised about the truth related to vaping as an alternative to smoking than they where ten years ago. I still see comments about popcorn lung and smokers still suggesting that vaping is so bad for you, that it is probably worse than smoking. The ignorance is depressing and the opinionated, are so confident in their beliefs, I can't see the public perception of vaping ever changing.

Stories like these will keep on popping up and the ignorant will buy it, hook, line and sinker, every time. I guess only time will tell.

Having just spent 20 minutes reading hundreds of the comments attached to the mail article, the big news for me, arising from this story is that, the general public are no better advised about the truth related to vaping as an alternative to smoking than they where ten years ago. I still see comments about popcorn lung and smokers still suggesting that vaping is so bad for you, that it is probably worse than smoking. The ignorance is depressing and the opinionated, are so confident in their beliefs, I can't see the public perception of vaping ever changing.

Stories like these will keep on popping up and the ignorant will buy it, hook, line and sinker, every time. I guess only time will tell.
what pisses me off is the old news thats been debunked years ago is still online for the uneducated to see and spread so sadly we will never hear the end of it.

I go outside at work for a break and a Vape ... 3 days ago one guy also on a break said to me ... vaping John ? ... that's just the same as smoking ... :eyeroll:

"Juul pods almost killed me: 18-year-old college student's lung COLLAPSED after vaping for a year
  • Chance Ammirata's left lung collapsed last week
  • A pneumothorax can be quite common in young males who smoke, never heard of any relationship with vaping
  • The 18-year-old from Florida had to have surgery to reinflate the lung
  • It's a minor procedure to drain fliud, it's not open heart surgery
  • If he hadn't gotten to the hospital fast enough, he would have died
  • Where the symptoms are distressing, it would take some time for anyone to die. The body has two lungs, many people function perfectly well with one removed
  • Doctors told him the hole in his lung was from smoking - but Chance said he smokes about on Juul pod every two days
  • Doctors were surmising that he smoked, maybe he did, but he vapes Juul pods, he doesn't smoke them
  • Chance will never be able to run cross country again or SCUBA dive Juul claims that it's products are 'safer' than cigarettes
  • Why not...? Altough there is an increased likelihood that a second pneumothorax may occur, there is nothing to suggest that he cannot live a completely normal life
  • At least nine other teenage vapers in Wisconsin were hospitalized last week US regulators are demanding Juul to disclose the chemicals in its pods
  • This is very localised, were they known to each other, did they use the same vape, what else is at play here...?
  • Chance is using social media to warn other teens to stop vaping
  • Maybe he should focus his attention on his studies, there again, in America's claims culture, going all out on social media would certainly look good for any pending claim

• @zouzounaki yer right, it's a load of pish.

Last edited:

I would bet most of those commenters are smokers.

Back
Top Bottom