What's new

Would you vape on a bus?

The thing is there are laws against smoking. I don’t think they apply to vaping, rather, places make rules about vaping, such as bus and train operators choosing to include vaping in their smoking policies. Hence why it’s valid for a pub landlord to allow vaping in his or her pub. He or she couldn’t decide to allow smoking in the pub, as that would be breaking the law.

I think this is a better situation than vaping being subject to laws about where you can and can’t do it. The reason this happened with smoking is because it’s toxic and harmful, which is not the case with vaping. There is no need for it to be regulated by law.

The thing is there are laws against smoking. I don’t think they apply to vaping, rather, places make rules about vaping, such as bus and train operators choosing to include vaping in their smoking policies. Hence why it’s valid for a pub landlord to allow vaping in his or her pub. He or she couldn’t decide to allow smoking in the pub, as that would be breaking the law.

I think this is a better situation than vaping being subject to laws about where you can and can’t do it. The reason this happened with smoking is because it’s toxic and harmful, which is not the case with vaping. There is no need for it to be regulated by law.
Yes. And that's the point of the question. If it's not regulated and most here agree they wouldn't do it on the bus how to address those that would? would you do it in a hospital? Allowed in a prison cell? Would you like it advertised glamorously as tobacco once was? It's a tricky thing to sell it as a smoking cessation tool while at the same time asking (rightly in my view) for it not to be compared to cigarettes and to detach ourselves from that industry...

@ZendeR things won’t be any different than they are now. Smoking in enclosed public spaces is illegal, and vaping isn’t, but organisations might include vaping in their smoking policy, or have different rules around it.

For example some people can vape in their work (the office downstairs from mine) and some can’t (my office).

If there is a sudden increase in people vaping on the bus, I’d imagine the driver would likely kick them off. Not because it’s against the law, but because it’s against the rules of the bus.

Last edited:
I wouldn't vape on a bus, or even around other folk out of common courtesy. I really enjoy vaping but I am not so desperate that I can't wait a while. I am not sure any good can come from vaping on a bus or subjecting other people to the clouds, no matter how good they smell.

I do understand why some would like to raise awareness of vaping as a healthier alternative to smoking and fully support that, but there's enough information out there for anyone to adopt vaping as an viable alternative to stinkies.

So many things these days are 'in your face' that maybe just getting on and enjoying vaping while being considerate to others is a better way to go?

I will mention again that if anybody has ever had no choice but to let go a really foul smelling fart in an enclosed public place, I don’t understand why they’d have a problem with someone having a puff of a low power vape in the same situation. Far, far less offensive and unpleasant.

I was on a bus during the heatwave, the driver had the heating on, there were no windows you could open, the sun was beating in the windows and someone appeared to be eating raw garlic. I think most of the other passengers would have preferred if he was vaping.

I don’t understand why they’d have a problem with someone having a puff of a low power vape in the same situation. Far, far less offensive and unpleasant.

Because the masses have been fed so much mis-information over the years, to many think they are the same or worse than fags.

For me, I don't vape where I wouldn't have smoked. (including in the house) I don't do it in me own car either, when I have a passenger or two that don't vape.
To the OP, the answer is no.

The whole "vaping on buses" argument seems like a straw man to me. If you read the article and then the comments below almost all of them are basically complaining about the idea that the ban on buses could be lifted, rather than anything about all the positive things in the rest of the article.
Its like that one nugget has been planted so people can demonize the whole thing.

For the record, I wouldn't vape on a bus, in much the same way as i never felt the need to smoke on a bus even when i was on 40 a day. I would like to see separate areas for smokers and vapers though, many vapers are in the process of giving up and it seems unfair to force them into temptation as it were.

The only public transport I use is aircrafts.
Ive stealth vaped on every flight.
Is it right?
No.
Has anyone ever noticed?
No.
Babies, kids, feet on the back of my seat, drunks, no legroom in a noisy horrible germ infested tube.
What I do is the least offensive thing Ive seen on planes.

Because the masses have been fed so much mis-information over the years, to many think they are the same or worse than fags.

For me, I don't vape where I wouldn't have smoked. (including in the house) I don't do it in me own car either, when I have a passenger or two that don't vape.
To the OP, the answer is no.

I wasn’t talking about the masses though, I was talking about people that vape. Are you saying that the people who vape who wouldn’t do it in enclosed public spaces do so because they know the masses have been fed mis-information? Would you still refrain from vaping in places where it’s permitted (certain pubs, for example)?

I will mention again that if anybody has ever had no choice but to let go a really foul smelling fart in an enclosed public place, I don’t understand why they’d have a problem with someone having a puff of a low power vape in the same situation. Far, far less offensive and unpleasant.

I agree the vapour would be much less unpleasant. I don't think that's a valid comparison though. A person farting has limited control over their digestive issue. People make a conscious choice to vape, and eat foul smelling food, etc.

Back
Top Bottom