What's new

Would you vape on a bus?

I've not had to get on a bus for well over a decade now (Thank Zeus!!)

From my hazy memory though I believe abit of vape would actually improve the thing vastly!

If I was forced, at gun point, to get on a bus though, using my kit, no I wouldn't vape. It would be inconsiderate. If I had a discreet little MTL Pod though, I'd probably use it but very sparingly and hold the vapour in as long as possible.

I know the report suggested there should be a debate on vaping in public spaces and stations got a mention.

Is there anywhere in the report where it is suggested that vaping on buses might be a good idea?

I suspect not. I have only read reports on the report so can not be sure.

This idea has certainly been the most negative part of the reporting I have seen today imo.

It is a seriously stupid idea. Where did it come from? Does it come from the report? Or is it just ridiculous extrapolation by journalists?

I'd not be on public transport long enough to need a vape anyway, certainly wouldn't want to on-board.

Some folks suffer from B.O yet i have to put up with the smell on public transport and all it needs is people to consider others and wear deodorant. People cloud the air with shite music played while sitting on buses, again i put up with it because its not my business , yet if i vaped it would be frowned upon because of the smell or clouds. there are other things people do on buses that annoy me. So is it really that bad if folks where allowed to fill the air with pleasant smells.
The 20th century no one bothered about what everyone and his or her dog was doing, nowadays to many want to poke their noses in other folks business and want piffling rules to stop folk enjoying themselves.
what i am saying is there's 2 sides to the consideration of others thing. Live and let live not live but moan about the way others live.

I'm not comfortable vaping in enclosed spaces with other people at all, and I'd rather not have other people's clouds surrounding me either.

I know the report suggested there should be a debate on vaping in public spaces and stations got a mention.

Is there anywhere in the report where it is suggested that vaping on buses might be a good idea?

I suspect not. I have only read reports on the report so can not be sure.

This idea has certainly been the most negative part of the reporting I have seen today imo.

It is a seriously stupid idea. Where did it come from? Does it come from the report? Or is it just ridiculous extrapolation by journalists?

You are right, I think the vaping on a bus question is just media spin.

Some folks suffer from B.O yet i have to put up with the smell on public transport and all it needs is people to consider others and wear deodorant. People cloud the air with shite music played while sitting on buses, again i put up with it because its not my business , yet if i vaped it would be frowned upon because of the smell or clouds. there are other things people do on buses that annoy me. So is it really that bad if folks where allowed to fill the air with pleasant smells.
The 20th century no one bothered about what everyone and his or her dog was doing, nowadays to many want to poke their noses in other folks business and want piffling rules to stop folk enjoying themselves.
what i am saying is there's 2 sides to the consideration of others thing. Live and let live not live but moan about the way others live.

I get where you are coming from but being pragmatic about how the world is rather than how it should be or how it was, I strongly feel that given the proportion of vapers to non vapers and the amount of negativity towards vapers (yes stoked by bogus news and misrepresentation of science) IF vaping was allowed on public transport it would prompt a backlash that would be negative for vapers in general.

in the alternative universes where vaping became a common thing prior to the mid seventies when folk were still smoking on buses and cinemas then things are working out different and folk are happily vaping on buses.

You are right, I think the vaping on a bus question is just media spin.

Whether I am right or not on whether it is in the report or not.
I am right that vaping is not going to be allowed on buses in public service.
Not anytime in the next couple of decades anyway. Maybe if they discover vapers live longer than non vapers.

Very good points made by everyone. The discussion is of course beyond a what to do in a bus but how society in general treats vaping. Officials will now read this report and policy will be developed. So, in an ideal world for the legislator, does no one vape or smoke; or do people happily vape away if they want too? What should be the end goal? I think if vaping will be considered as a smoking cessation tool only, than it should be subsidised, available on prescription but also suffer from heavy regulation such as people not doing it where it may affect anyone else. It becomes a medicine or drug almost. A less of two evils.

If vaping should be seen as a legitimate activity in itself outside of smoking cessation then I don't think it's use in public space should be regulated beyond unintended secondary effects (like not endangering driving or obstructing view in a cinema). It should also be taxed appropriately and the "gateway" considerations taken seriously. We will be for instance advertising it on TV as a good/cool/yummy thing rather than help to quit the fags.

These may be two polar ways of looking at it but and the right answer may be somewhere in the middle. But when developing new policy, the legislator will have to regard vaping in one of these frameworks that to me sound mutually exclusive.. interesting times!

Back
Top Bottom