What's new

prof john ashton suspended

I have an ordinary job in a warehouse with a shirt with the company name. If I go out of work in that shirt and get in a fight; I can be sacked for it. In that cheap poly/cotton shirt; I represent the company. He is in a much more responsible position and if he goes off on one like that, and talks absolute rubbish too; then he needs suspending while they work out what to do.

Unusually for me, I'm going to swim against the tide of opinion on this - I think it's a lamentable action.

Suspend people for being shit at their jobs, fine.

Take measures because of opinions people hold or actions outside of work, not fine.

John Ashton co-wrote The New Public Health. In a section about smoking the authors, to paraphrase, stress the importance of listening to communities when making public health policies - see Page 97 here...

http://www.johnrashton.securemachines.co.uk/documentbank/The New Public Health(84-113).pdf

He may not be shit at his job but I dislike the hypocrisy and the lack of empathy for the "community" of vapers.

I have to agree, it would have been far more advantageous to vapers if the position continued to be filled by someone who's science was so bad that even a tabloid journalist would have had trouble giving it credence, and who failed to understand that comments you make in social media are public statements not private conversations.

I'm hopeful in thinking if someone as intelligent as prof ashton has trouble making the 'anti' arguments stick...then it's only a matter of time,before the rest start falling.
Tbh though it just looks like he's had a mini breakdown of sorts...

Disagreeing with me is often the wisest choice to make. ;)

But that's not any definition of denigrate I understand. I'd take 'disparaged' himself but I believe that people have the absolute right to think and act as individuals and not as a limb of a corporate entity.

I feel that this is an intelligent man who simply has a set of feelings regarding a topic not shared by others on the other side of the fence. Late night, a couple of whiskeys in, I'd have done exactly the same when I was younger.

If we are looking to win arguments and gain friends then attacking people is not the way forward...which is why I tend to stay away from reasoned debate on the issue - I like to call people how I see them...which doesn't make me that dissimilar to him :D

I'll make a couple of foolish choices and agree with you on some points then :grin2:

There is no doubt that he is an intelligent man and yes, he has strong feelings on the subject. It is the manner in which he handled himself which attracted the cross-hairs. He has previous form with Twitter outbursts which suggests that this is not his first rodeo and he understands the possible repercussions of it. Sure, I understand...late night, Dutch courage, blood is up and the bait is swinging, ready to be snatched. We've all been there and done the same thing. I'm not trying to kick a man when he is down, far from it but you pays your money and you takes your chances, as the saying goes.

Anyway, I could be wrong but I doubt that this will be anything serious. I'm sure he will be away on holiday for a bit before quietly slipping back into his position again during more current news stories.

I can see where Mawsley is coming from, for the most part.
It is a shame that Prof John fell victim to an acne faced youngster, fresh from uni, and in his first role within the Human resources department, looking for his first victim to hang on the "disrepute" gallows, but "behavior liable to bring the organisation into disrepute" is on page one of every companies/organisations disciplinary procedures handbook so, like it or not, the honourable professor got nabbed firmly by the goolies on this one.
On a positive note, even if he never works again, I am sure that he will not end his days eating discarded pizza and Kentucky wings reclaimed from street side litter bins.

So the prof gets suspended for knobheadish tweeting......meanwhile in Rotherham all manner of professionals are keeping their jobs regardless of ignoring reports of child sex abuse rings operating on their patch....1500 victims later and still no sackings, doubtless all in the name of political correctness. It's a fucked up society.....No wonder people are turning to ukip.

Back
Top Bottom