What's new

Do you want to see the positive view from the scientists?

Very good.
A must listen for anyone with concerns about the safety of vaping.
Yes it is long, and there is nothing important to see (except the toast)
Just put it on speaker while you do something else.

I’ve listened to about half of this and need to stop as I have stuff to be doing, I’ll come back to it though. It’s very interesting. It’s quite optimistic that they’re actually having this debate and getting experts like Pelosi over to give evidence.

That was very informative and encouraging. The Italian chap on the left spoke a lot of sense. Let's hope "the power's that be " listen.

agree, very interesting. didnt think i would sit through two hours of it but i did.

I liked him, seems like a bit of a character. We should try and get him on here! :)
It was funny when he lightened the moment by getting his breakfast out [emoji38]
Made a good point though about how some testing is wrong because they over do the temperature on the ecig to produce toxic particulates.

It seemed very positive, the two women did seem to have a bit of an axe to grind and seemed to be looking for something negative but on the whole I thought the questions were well thought out and revealed a desire to be informed about the subject rather than just confirming their own preconceptions...

I do not see the government changing vaping laws for a good time after brexit, because they will have other priorities but

I found it rather encouraging.

IF the government were to take on the scientific opinions expressed in this committee meeting then there is certainly hope for larger bottles of juice to come back in the future. If the government continues its interest in reducing waste then, even more so.

The size of tanks did not come up but, if we can be trusted with larger bottles, then with a bit of lobbying surely we could be trusted with bigger tanks.

On the evidence given we should be safe from any tax that would discourage switching from fags.

On nic strength, perhaps a little leeway to push for an increase but I can not see it going back to 7.2%.
Diy was only alluded to briefly as a consequence of restrictions, it was mentioned that some of us were storing higher nic.
The view was that some folk would benefit from higher nic with one scientist mentioning up to 36mg, but balancing that with the observation that with modern kit there is less need of it.

On where we can vape, it was all positive with almost zero risk from second hand vape, so a good case to be made for more areas to be made available for vaping.

On flavour, they were suportive and not into restricting the choice of flavours that might help folk get off the fags .
It is known that flavours are the most likely source of as yet unknown risks, the scientists were relaxed about this because vaping is so much safer than smoking, and any chemicals that turn out to become a cause for concern can be removed.
There is a case to be made for reducing the amount of flavour, if not the range of flavours.
One scientist mentioned being ok with up to 5% aroma. (I am not even sure what this means given that what we call a flavour could be a saturated solution of the compounds in pg or any percentage less than that)

Just a few thoughts based on IF the government were to take on board what these scientists say.
Obviously this does not take into account any lobbying from powerful vested interests that would come with any new law.

I think the problem is that, however encouraging this debate might appear, uk governments have a record of ignoring and sacking acknowledged experts when they make recommendations that go against policy/public opinion and installing monkey yes men. Look at the debacle that is uk drugs policy and what happened to David Nutt.

I think I’ll hold off on being too confident of any positive change until the situation progresses.

Back
Top Bottom