What's new

10 chemicals identified so far in e-cig vapor that are on the California Prop 65 list

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.tobacco.ucsf.edu/10-chem...list-carcinogens-and-reproductive#comment-589

The following compounds that are on the Proposition 65 list have already been identified in mainstream or secondhand (sidestream) e-cigarette vapor:
Acetaldehyde (MS)
Benzene (SS)
Cadmium (MS)
Formaldehyde (MS,SS)
Isoprene (SS)
Lead (MS)
Nickel (MS)
Nicotine (MS, SS)
N-Nitrosonornicotine (MS, SS)
Toluene (MS, SS)
As the two papers linked above note, there are other toxic chemicals in the vapor as well as ultrafine particles, that likely have cardiovascular effects.

Whats important to note is that according to the original paper (Abstract here) the levels were significantly lower than cigarettes and comparable to those found in nicotine inhalators.
[h=2]Abstract[/h] Significance Electronic cigarettes, also known as e-cigarettes, are devices designed to imitate regular cigarettes and deliver nicotine via inhalation without combusting tobacco. They are purported to deliver nicotine without other toxicants and to be a safer alternative to regular cigarettes. However, little toxicity testing has been performed to evaluate the chemical nature of vapour generated from e–cigarettes. The aim of this study was to screen e-cigarette vapours for content of four groups of potentially toxic and carcinogenic compounds: carbonyls, volatile organic compounds, nitrosamines and heavy metals.

Materials and methods Vapours were generated from 12 brands of e-cigarettes and the reference product, the medicinal nicotine inhaler, in controlled conditions using a modified smoking machine. The selected toxic compounds were extracted from vapours into a solid or liquid phase and analysed with chromatographic and spectroscopy methods.

Results We found that the e-cigarette vapours contained some toxic substances. The levels of the toxicants were 9–450 times lower than in cigarette smoke and were, in many cases, comparable with trace amounts found in the reference product.

Conclusions Our findings are consistent with the idea that substituting tobacco cigarettes with e-cigarettes may substantially reduce exposure to selected tobacco-specific toxicants. E-cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy among smokers unwilling to quit, warrants further study. (To view this abstract in Polish and German, please see the supplementary files online.)

It's worth noting that Dr Glantz, whos blog this is from is an anti-tobacco campaigner.

that aside his summary doesn't quite marry up to some of the detail in the papers he cites. For example.

formaldehyde is nasty stuff - and the paper that researched the 2nd hand (sidestream) vapour noted that it was present. At levels approximately 10 times less than a conventional tobacco cigarette, though it goes on to say.

Schripp et al said:
Ohta et al. (2011) proposed the formation of formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and methylglyoxal in the e-cigarette because of the oxidation of propylene glycol during contact with the active heating coil. However, continuous monitoring only showed a slight increase in the formaldehyde concentration in the 8-m3 emission test chamber before and during the consumption of the three liquids(see Table 4 and Figure 2). This might be caused by the person in the chamber itself, because people are known to exhale formaldehyde in low amounts (Riess et al., 2010) and the increase was already observed during the conditioning phase (Figure 2). Furthermore, the release of formaldehyde was also below the limit of detection in the small-scale experiments. The expected rise of the formaldehyde concentration in the chamber from smoking a conventional cigarette with a peak value of 114 ppb is shown in Figure 2.
[ link (pdf)] (emphasis mine)

So Formaldehyde which is one of the big nasties on this California list might not have been caused by the e-cigarettes tested but by the test subject exhaling it themselves over the test time, and the graph they show would tend to support that theory given that ti was in the test chamber before any e-cigs were tested, the level increases very slowly over a long period of time, in line with the test subject and not the e-cig being the source, and then jumps dramatically when a tobacco cigarette was tested.

We need lots more research on e-cigs, we don't need jaded bloggers with axes to grind, writing up misleading headlines about the studies that are done, when on first glance they might appear to support ones ideology.

The devil is in the detail Dr Glantz as you should be more than well aware. Shripp et al note that formaldehyde was present, do not (cannot) conclude that it was there as a result of the use of e-cigarettes, go so far as to propose a plausible reason to account for it's presence like the good scientists they appear to be, and then you shoehorn their research into a blog post that fits with your preconceived ideology that e-cigarettes cannot possibly be safe and should be controlled. While breathing in e-liquid vapour can't be as safe or as good for you as breathing in clean air, they are orders of magnitude (plural) better for you than smoking conventional tobacco and campaining for them to be treated in a similar fashion to tobacco cigarettes costs lives. Probably not that far away from, oh say about a billion lives this century.

:) you guys are great! I hate to admit this but I posted it the way I did to get conversation flowing. It is always amazing to see the crap that these places put out there, discredited :D

I was wondering if nicotine strength, zero nicotine or unflavoured juice, different ratios of PG/VG would have an affect on those results?

I was wondering if nicotine strength, zero nicotine or unflavoured juice, different ratios of PG/VG would have an affect on those results?

Im sure they would to be honest. It also depends on whether or not the stuff was mixed in a sterile environment too.

http://www.losalt.com/
I need go there, because i have taken so many of these with a little pinch, ...
I guarantee ( like that means anything ) that if i go outside right now, and take an air sample next to the road, i get far far far 'worse' results, in bigger numbers too.
And if i do it twice i bet the results differ.
Vape is better than burn. Fact.

They can keep their bloody "losalt". It gives you long arms and massive hands!

healthy_lifestyle.jpg
http://losalt.com

Last edited:
The main argument for choosing vaping over tobacco cigarettes seems to be missing:

With tobaco cigarettes, there is a constant output of sidestream 'passive' smoke but with vaping, there is very little (if any) sidestream and the mainstream will have been 'diluted' by ingestion prior to exhaltion.

I wonder if a study has been done comparing the toxicity of 'passive' vapour to samples of air taken from beside a busy road? Don't see the 'experts' wanting to rush through a ban on combustion engines to protect the public from 'passive driving'.

Back
Top Bottom