What's new

Yorkshire MEP's tobacco law passed

K

KulrMeStoopid

Friday 11 October 2013

A crucial step towards a new law on tobacco by a Yorkshire MEP has been passed. Linda McAvan was responsible for guiding the legislation through the European Parliament. The proposals include a ban on flavoured cigarettes. 65 per cent of the surface of packaging will be covered in text and picture health warnings if the plans are now backed by ministers. But MEPs rejected her proposal, backed by the government, for e-cigarettes to be regulated as medical products. Instead MEPs voted for more lax controls on their manufacture and sale.

http://www.europeandyou.com/news/1418/3/

She claims here that the British government wants e-cigs to be medicines. I might be missing something, but I never got that impression. We know the MHRA recommended this, but as an independent organisation (that would benefit financially from the move), and it seemed to me that this recommendation came because they were expecting it to become EU law.

I've never got the impression that government itself is fighting for the medical classification - in fact, we know this is something the Lib Dems are actively opposing, and the kind of issue the Tories would likely allow them to have their way over (to keep going the illusion that they are working with the Lib Dems and not just stifling all of their policies).

Back
Top Bottom