What's new

Viscount Astor to ask Her Majesty’s Government what is their policy on regulation

every time I hear "flavours specifically targeted at children eg bubblegum" I want to punch someone!

the 3rd speaker was by far the best (didn't catch his name, mixing juice)

Last edited:
It was an interesting watch, not really sure what to make if it though, sounded promising overall

The part about vaping runs from approx 14.00.00 in the video stream to about 14.45.00.

Some valid and interesting points raised by the 'toffs' there but as always, the official response is basically that they're going ahead with medical licensing regardless.

The cost of licensing apparently ranges from about £80,000 up to about £250,000 but I note no reference was made to whether this is per product or whether this would cover an entire product range. Given that the official position is also appears to be against flavourings, I'd assume that it would be per product and that anyone selling a range of flavourings would needa license for EVERY different flavour and nicotine strength of eliquid they sell.

I also note that a point was raised suggesting that the driving force behind regulation are groups like the BMA and that they are possibly resentful that vaping has done more to get smokers off tobacco in the space of one year than they have done in the space of ten years.

This seemed to be largely ignored in the response.

Although some good points were raised, it seems that the government is only interested in taking advice from bodies like the BMA and are determined to pursue medical licensing regardless of what happens in Europe.

They say that it will be a voluntary scheme, but it seems to me that anyone who chooses not to 'volunteer' for licensing will be placed into a different category than licensed products and probably be subjected to restrictions... which of course, plays into the hands of big pharma.

I was also dismayed to see that antipodean 'faghag' toad sat behind the 'toffs' with this little group of minions scribbling away, presumably to scurry off and compose rebuttals. It's worrying to me that people like him are likely to be left to sort out the details.. kind of the real power behind the throne type thing.

To sum up my impressions, some good points raised but the government position is to stick fingers in their ears saying "la la la, we're not listening and we're going to do what we want regardless of what anyone says".

one of the most positive things ive seen so far from the upper echelons on ecigs.. a worthwhile and interesting watch indeed and hugely incouraging

I think the third speaker was Viscount Ridley - nice to see someone who's been properly briefed for a change.

Did everyone else boo when they saw Jeremy Mean in the background?

Here's a transcript of Viscount Ridley's speech from the same debate - bloody awesome
http://saveecigs.wordpress.com/

My new favourite Tory!

Quote of the speech:

"For every child who goes from cigarettes to electronic cigarettes, there would there have to be 1,000 going the other way, from e-cigarettes to cigarettes, for this to do any net harm"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom