What's new

vaping when pregnant

On most eLiquid bottles there is a warning not to use whilst pregnant or Breast feeding, but as said above if NRT inhalers can be used then why not eCigs

Interesting - I didn't know NRT was approved in pregnancy - in that case, it would be hypocritical (and biased) for any GP to advise against ecigs, as nicotine inhalators contain everything that's in an ecig, plus other disturbing ingredients that aren't in ecigs
Im glad you pointed that out :) NRTs scare me

Though it may be controversial (and I'm not condoning taking any chances), I strongly suspect the risks of smoking in pregnancy are overplayed (much like the unproven risks of passive smoking). My generation and older is littered with people born to smoking mothers and these are people now living much longer and healthier lives.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Though it may be controversial (and I'm not condoning taking any chances), I strongly suspect the risks of smoking in pregnancy are overplayed (much like the unproven risks of passive smoking). My generation and older is littered with people born to smoking mothers and these are people now living much longer and healthier lives.

During my twin pregnancy, my OB basically demanded that I stop trying to quit smoking. He said if the "facts were true" and smoking made smaller babies, it might mean I would carry my twins to term. I was 2 days shy of full term and had 5lb9oz and 6lb12oz twins that were the 1st in the hospitals history, to go home on a normal discharge date (3 days after emergency c-section) They had no side effects present at birth due to my smoking either.

I even have a pic of me in the courtyard of the hospital smoking the next day...not a proud moment, but god I needed that cig!

If ecigs had been around in 2000 I would have used that instead!

Just grabbed a box of OHs nicorette gum
"If you are pregnant, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse for advice before using this product"

Reading the leaflet its promoted as "a safer alternative to smoking" and "on those occasions when you cant or dont want to smoke, eg social situations such as a party, in the pub or when at work"

Also "you can use NRT as a safer alternative as the risks to your baby are far less than smoking......"

"Breast-feed just before you use ..... gum to enusre the baby gets the smallest amount of nicotine possible"

If you do need to use NRT.......the amount of nicotine the baby may receive is considerably smaller and less harmful......."

So now we know the 'official stance' on using nicotine whilst pregnant :D

Obviously, because of the thousands of chemicals in a cigarette, the ideal would be to eliminate every risk, no matter how small or theoretical, and stop smoking - and maybe in the early stages it reduces the risk of miscarriage (I don't know, but I'm sure there must be research in that area), but I know loads of people who's mothers smoked in pregnancy in the 60's and they don't appear to have suffered any detriment. My ma didn't smoke, but I still had health problems.
Luck of the draw!

thanks to all you guys and gals for your thoughts and opinions now have an appointment with my GP to ask about 0 nic vaping whilst pregnant.

I would vape if I was pregnant now. I smoked (although cut down to 3 a day) with my first child and quit with my 2nd completely (and for four further years too!)
My mother didn't smoke when pregnant with me but she did smoke with my little brother and sister. Both were small birth-weights but family stress and poverty could have also been a factor.

Pretty sure the only real problem with smoking during pregnancy is the volume of carbon monoxide you are inhaling resulting in the blood's inability to carry the normal level of oxygen attached to the haemoglobin. NRT and ecigs ought to have no effect on carboxyhaemoglobin levels.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Back
Top Bottom