What's new

Toxicity Assessment of Refill Liquids - by Dr. F

qu1t

Initiate
Just thought I would share this, sorry if it's been posted before, but I could not find it on a quick search.

IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Toxicity Assessment of Refill Liquids for Electronic Cigarettes

If you cba to read, it is the latest study & findings from Dr. F and his team of scientists (who are pro vaping)

Conclusions
None of the products under scrutiny were totally exempt of potentially toxic compounds. As this new
market has developed largely outside an appropriate regulatory framework, some manufacturers and
vendors apparently lack the adequate know-how about safety.

Also a note from the man himself who is on the forum I am also registered at:

"The problem was mainly the use of very high amounts of flavoring compounds in a small minority of the liquids. The levels were higher than what is recommended in food products. In my opinion, this creates an issue considering that very little is known about inhalation of these compounds.
I have always advised vapers to use as little flavoring as possible. Of course, i accept that for most people it is impossible to use flavorless liquids, and i do not suggest flavored to be restricted. However, manufacturers should have some quality measures concerning the amount of flavoring they put into the liquid!!!"

It keeps turning up that flavourings are the worst part of eliquid. :6:
Yes, if there's some truth to the accusation of "you don't know what's in it" then it's about these flavourings. We are happy with VG, PG and nicotine.

The MSDS sheets released by one vendor, forget which it was now, indicate an inhalation risk on every one of their flavour concentrates. The heads have to come out of the buckets of sand. We are waiting on the Dr F research results to really understand the extent of the risk here. We all know there is a risk, albeit less than smoking, but most of us are well beyond comparing our vaping to smoking any more. We want to compare the relative risks within vaping.

Yes, if there's some truth to the accusation of "you don't know what's in it" then it's about these flavourings. We are happy with VG, PG and nicotine.

The MSDS sheets released by one vendor, forget which it was now, indicate an inhalation risk on every one of their flavour concentrates. The heads have to come out of the buckets of sand. We are waiting on the Dr F research results to really understand the extent of the risk here. We all know there is a risk, albeit less than smoking, but most of us are well beyond comparing our vaping to smoking any more. We want to compare the relative risks within vaping.
Great point.

I take this kind of stuff with a pinch of salt. Even though we know there could be a risk. Got to be better than skinkies. All I know is, since I gave up cigarettes, I am a lot healthier.

Great point.

I take this kind of stuff with a pinch of salt. Even though we know there could be a risk. Got to be better than skinkies. All I know is, since I gave up cigarettes, I am a lot healthier.
Great point? WTF? You clearly didn't understand a word that I said. :read:

I get your point but that was something I felt was missing from this study, some frame of reference to smoking and the relative risk.

Naturally inhaling flavourings is never going to be great especially after heating them up enough to evaporate them. I assume that's what the majority of coil gunk is. I'm sure we've all noticed certain flavours gunk coils more than others.

This report will affect my mixing, I will certainly try less flavouring in my juices. On some of my DIY I'm using 25% flavouring.

Great point? WTF? You clearly didn't understand a word that I said. :read:
i also thought it was a great point for me it was the part that we are most of us past comparing vaping to smoking
it would be good to finally see some results that arent funded by big tobacco and about the effects of the flavourings when inhaled as said we are happy about the pg vg and nic
thats just my view anyway :)

I get your point but that was something I felt was missing from this study, some frame of reference to smoking and the relative risk.

Naturally inhaling flavourings is never going to be great especially after heating them up enough to evaporate them. I assume that's what the majority of coil gunk is. I'm sure we've all noticed certain flavours gunk coils more than others.

This report will affect my mixing, I will certainly try less flavouring in my juices. On some of my DIY I'm using 25% flavouring.
As a mixer, you'd want to use the least amount of concentrate, over flavouring is as bad as under flavouring. It's also the wise mixer who chooses concentrates which are strong and can be mixed at low %.
But is that not over-simplifying this? What we don't know is the amount of each chemical/flavour that's in each concentrate, we don't know which are harmful and at what levels.
What we do know is that to understand a poison we need to know its toxicity, the dose and the effects ... after all, we are comfortable with nicotine use on exactly that understanding.

Last edited:
As a mixer, you'd want to use the least amount of concentrate, over flavouring is as bad as under flavouring. It's also the wise mixer who chooses concentrates which are strong and can be mixed at low %.
But is that not over-simplifying this? What we don't know is the amount of each chemical/flavour that's in each concentrate, we don't know which are harmful and at what levels.
What we do know is that to understand a poison we need to know its toxicity, the dose and the effects ... after all, we are comfortable with nicotine use on exactly that understanding.

Yes, there is a lot we don't know. Who is to say that those flavourings that require a lower percentage are simply not more concentrated?

I think it will take a long time before the contents (and effects) of specific concentrates are known, if ever.

When I checked a 'good starting point' was 20% so bumping things up to 22%, 23% and even 25% seemed ok to me but like I said this study will affect how I mix going forward. I know that some CV juices are 30% and even 35%.

I'm also going to try to avoid making dark juices.

Back
Top Bottom