What's new

Metals in e-cigs

Fleabag

Achiever
This could be a silly question, as I don't know if it would be unheard of as a material in e-cigs, but is nickel used at all in surface materials on any batteries or tanks?

I have quite a severe allergy, and I know nickel is widely used in a variety of products - I have problems with jewellery, specs, belt buckles, metal buttons to name a few. As I'm buying new toys on a regular basis, I realise it's quite important that I know if there are any products I need to avoid.

No-resistance wire can be either silver or nickel, and will usually state it, so be careful of what you are getting if you have a res/no res rebuildable.
The heating coils in atties are usually either kanthal or nichrome, so you'd maybe rather the kanthal.
But you probably know all this as you are asking about surface materials, in which case, I don't know, but somebody might?

The answer to that is possibly.

1. Some stainless steels contain nickel. Nickel is added to make the stainless steel almost non-magnetic. So if a magnet readily sticks to your stainless steel, it should be nickel free.

2. Some chrome plated items, may have nickel plating underneath. But this is a more expensive way of doing things, so is unlikely. If it is the case, the chrome should shield the nickel unless damaged in some way.

3. Coils, already covered as above.

4. That's your "Metallurgy" lesson over for the day. And from that lesson, we can deduce that, the more expensive the chrome plated item, the more chance there is of a nickel plate below it. To be able to tell if a nickel plate was present, you would need to be told, or damage the chrome to find out.

Last edited:
Thanks - useful, if a little worrying!!
I don't know if any nickel in the coils would deliver any nickel to the vapour - no obvious problems experienced with pre-coiled heads as yet.

The only tank I have with a metal contact to the mouth is a genuine Kanger protank, which hasn't posed a problem, but I would expect any nickel-based drip tips to bring about an almost immediate and severe reaction, given the sensitivity of the mouth. While batteries have a coating, they'd be fine, but if nickel based underneath, then damage to the coating would likely cause a problem with me handling them a lot.

I've ordered a few clones- most of them metal (protanks and protank minis), so I was concerned I might have issues with some and also wanted to plan ahead for future purchases.

However, if it costs more to include nickel, I could be safe!

Back
Top Bottom