Innokin
What's new

it takes some reading, send or not send

anthonyb

Achiever
Hi gang,
This is my proposed letter to local mp's etc. It might be wrong to post it here first. But I would like any inaccuracies pointing out please. And your thoughts on whether to send it or not. As I hold the opinions others very highly. Sorry if it's a bit long and waffly.

With reference to Classifying e-cigarettes as medicines

Date

Dear sir/madam,
With regards to the classifying of e-cigarettes and associated products as medicines. Having now read many documents, scientific analysis and reviews on the subject, both for and against the proposed classification. It is now my option, that there seems to be something that has been either missed, not published or disregarded, with reference to post the 2016 regulation of e-cigarettes.
As you may or may not be aware, that there is around 1.3 million e-cigarette users in this country, and the figure is constantly rising. I do not know if this figure includes those of us that use, an alternative nicotine delivery system or personal vaporizer. Which may I add looks nothing like a cigarette or e-cigarette, but works in exactly the same way.
I know that at the moment, the use of e-cigarettes are being banned in much the same way as cigarettes. But I find it very disturbing, that no one has said anything that I can find, about what might happen once they become a medicine. For instance. Post 2016, I'm quite happily standing in the public library, partaking of my now medicine. Alone comes said librarian, "sorry you can't do that here", "I'm taking my medicine" would be the reply.
Now one of us is in the wrong. Either me for taking my medicine for my nicotine addition, or the librarian for trying to stop me. There may or may not also be an ensuing fracas. Police called etc. etc. Now you times that by the 1.3 million currant uses. Add to that the potential users by 2016. And not forgetting to add the countless smokers, that will do it because, how do you stop someone taking there medication if they need to take it. I dread to think what the potential outcome would be.
And once that has been resolved, you then have the potential of the black-market to take into consideration, just like the one for normal cigarettes. Which many vapers and e-cig users have already pointed out, would not be as safe as the market is now. Because of all the social networking that goes on between these groups, vendors that are selling not so good wares, are quickly identify, and word spreads fast.
But that very same network, would very quickly identify sources on the black-market, and word would travel just as fast. And a lot of users would use this source if they had to.

I also still fail to see the reasoning for the regulation.

There seems to be some concern over the safety of e-cigs and vaping, As I have said, I've read a lot of the literature, and yes there well may be a couple of concerns over the properties of e-cigs. Mainly from tests that have shown traces of two carcinogenic elements found in a sample.
May I point out that where an e-cig is not totally safe, the main report for this fails to mention, that tobacco cigarettes, contain 69 carcinogenic elements as well as 4000+ other chemicals. Including; hydrogen cyanide, arsenic and formaldehyde, the later of which can be used for preserving dead bodies.
So why are e-cigs to be classified as medicines, and difficult to obtain. When millions of smokers are starting to use this safer form of nicotine delivery, and yet tobacco cigarettes, which are known to kill millions a year are left to it.
I write to you with these concerns, over these proposals, knowing that I might not be able to purchase my vaping equipment so easily in the near future. As I am a heavy smoker of 35 years, who has recently discovered and changed over, to this safer nicotine delivery system. And do not wish to have to return to tobacco cigarettes. Or flout the law by using black-market alternatives.

I sincerely hope you can help in this matter, yours

Name

address

The Electronic Cigarette Company
Good letter just need to re check on a couple of lines re opinion not option, latter not later and current not currant but yes send letter very good, hope you don't mind me pointing the corrections

AcmeFog
Best of luck - I sent 7 letters to MEPs and one to my MP some weeks ago - only 2 MEPs responded (and the labour one of these didn't respond to my reply about the flaws in their policy to support vaping by regulating it as a medicine). Not that this will put me off, I'll be following up on all those who still owe me an answer.

Vape Club
Good letter and good points made! Even if they dont regulate it as medicine they will certainly do something to make cash off it.

Vape Green
Hi gang,
This is my proposed letter to local mp's etc. It might be wrong to post it here first. But I would like any inaccuracies pointing out please. And your thoughts on whether to send it or not. As I hold the opinions others very highly. Sorry if it's a bit long and waffly.

With reference to classifying e-cigarettes as medicines

Date

Dear Sir/Madam,

With regards to the proposed classification of e-cigarettes and associated products as medicines. Having now read many documents, scientific analysis and reviews on the subject, both for and against the proposed classification, it is now my opinion that there seems to be something that has been either missed, unpublished or disregarded, with reference to post the 2016 regulation of e-cigarettes.

As you may or may not be aware, that there are currently around 1.5 million e-cigarette users in this country, and the figure is constantly rising. I do not know if this figure includes those of us that use, an alternative nicotine delivery system or personal vaporizer. Which may I add, looks nothing like a cigarette or e-cigarette, but works in much the same way.

I understand at the moment, the use of e-cigarettes are being banned from public use in much the same way as cigarettes. However, what I find it very disturbing is I can find no information about what might happen once they become a medicine. For instance. Post 2016, I'm quite happily standing in the public library, partaking of my now medicine. Along comes said librarian, "Sorry you can't do that here", "I'm taking my medicine" would be the reply. Now one of us will be in the wrong. Either me for taking my medicine for my nicotine addition, or the librarian for trying to stop me. There may or may not also be an ensuing fracas. Police called etc. etc. Now if you multiply that by the 1.5 million current users and add to that the exponential growth of users by 2016. And not forgetting to add the countless smokers, that will do it because, How do you stop someone taking there medication if they need to take it. I dread to think what the potential outcome would be.

Also, once that has been resolved, you then have the potential of the black-market to take into consideration, just like the one for normal cigarettes or possibly that of cannabis. Which many vapers and e-cig users have already pointed out, would not be as safe as the market is now. Due to today's social networking that goes on between these groups, vendors that are currently selling shoddy wares, are quickly identified and word spreads fast. But conversely, that very same network, would very quickly identify sources on the black-market, and word would travel just as fast. The new black market users would use this source if they had to.

I also still fail to see the reasoning for the regulation.

There seems to be some concern over the safety of e-cigs and vaping but as I have said, I've read a lot of the literature, and yes there well may be a couple of concerns over the properties of e-cigs. Mainly from tests that have shown traces of two carcinogenic elements found in a sample.
May I point out that where an e-cig cannot be guaranteed totally safe, the main report for this was taken when e-cigs were in their infancy and fails to mention, that tobacco cigarettes, contain 69 carcinogenic elements as well as 5000+ other chemicals. Including; hydrogen cyanide, arsenic and formaldehyde. the later of which can be used for preserving dead bodies.

So why are e-cigs to be classified as medicines, and difficult to obtain. When millions of smokers are starting to use this safer form of nicotine delivery, and yet tobacco cigarettes, which are known to kill millions a year, are left as is.

I write to you with my concerns over these proposals, knowing that I might not be able to purchase my vaping equipment so easily in the near future. As I am a heavy smoker of 35 years, who has recently discovered and changed over, to this safer nicotine delivery system, I do not wish to have to return to tobacco cigarettes. Or flout the law by using black-market alternatives.

I sincerely hope you can help in this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Name

address

Just my quick couple of coppers worth as it's nearly bedtime. Basically it's red for subtract and green for add.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom