Innokin
What's new

Why has gp closed down?

Again I think there's room for both. If you had small run rta/rda' s from the UK/US/Europe ect all numbered and presented in a certain way hand made and a lite version if you will made cheaper and mass produced in the far east with the originators agreement at half or a third of the price tag the original would still sell As well and the designer would have a profit intrest in the lite version.
Previous issue's here have been trusting the chinese businesses not to steal your design. Hopefully with respectable companies now that is a thing of the past and would offer an excellent soloution all round and minimize clones.
Who knows.
That said I'm sitting here looking at the geekvape athena mech squonk I was sent to trial and thinking. Jesus. This is now available in most high street vape shops along side the pulse and ram. We maybe signing our own death warrant as far as rebuildable vaping goes with this stuff. How long until it all goes very wrong. The likes of blu are sitting and waiting. We will only be able to aio pod system's soon.

Premier Ecigs
It does seem to be the way things are going. It makes me a little nervous to see so much industry being switched to the Far East, as the implication seems to be that we’re losing the ability to manufacture locally as a consequence. Idealistically I’d like to hope there’s room for everyone in this industry.

It's been happening for a long time in manufacturing generally though. I remember being made redundant from a factory around 20 years ago when the company simply set up a site in India and closed the Cheshire site. They let go around 300 people. I know of other companies that also shifted ops to Asia. Where I live there are quite a few industrial estates with huge units just sitting empty. Asian labour is much cheaper.

I'd love to be able to afford some of the high end gear. Realistically, I'm disabled and I work part time, so I couldn't justify spending over £100 on an RTA, much as I'd like to. I don't own any clones either.

There are plenty more. Just not ones I can remember off the top of my head. Aren’t the Releaux mods all designed by someone called JayBo (the designer of the tobh atty apparently) but manufactured by Wismec.

Noisy Cricket 》 JayBo - Wismec.

Vape Green
I think with the collaborations its the win win outcome being brutally honest. Presently the end user can get the cloned product for a fraction of the originals price. Collaborations enable the brains gets to keep developing ideas in the pipe line and China mass produces them. We are in a catch 22 situation really, I think a lot of people would liketo buy but can't afford the 'high end' stuff so wait for the clone. If we were paid by potatoes or vegetables we could compete, but we have it good in Europe. The advantage of euro cutting edgers collaborating with China is the quality control, the base mould could match the standards Europeans attain. Everyone could then enjoy and afford the product. It is a cold hearted harsh outlook, and vaping is not getting any less popular. The vaper who can afford high end gear, will always go there, but a majority of vapers budget what 30/40 quid for an atty, 50/60 for a mod. But at least this way the man who makes minimum wage per atty sold as Rob mentioned might make more and open up the product to a wider market.

E-liquids.com
I’m sad they’ve closed. My heron is actually broken at the moment!!!
I’m on the lookout for a heron base soooooooo bad. A whole new outfit of heron V1/1.5 seems more likely.
So spend it and be happy forever? Not quite in my case.
Obviously I believed so when I bought it and I’ve never seen another atty as good looking and man, that v4 is the best mech around (imo).

The financial crisis in Greece is a factor, that’s where most of the nice things come from. It’s a very niche market at that price and it’s not hard to see the rest following in suit.
Particularly when the likes of chthulu (however you spell it) and the Siren, berserker attys

Last edited:
It isn't just atty/mods that get made in Asia,or India these days. Most of the British motorcycle industry also exploits "out-sourced" manufacturing,though some are reportedly turning out "lemons" (or in older speak "fri-afternoon" examples,where the assembler was making up the quota needed & to hell with Quality Control) so QC's possibly aren't quite up to European (British love to complain) standards.The internet allows many normally shy people the greatest anonymity so they voice their opinion without truly thinking about what those words could mean to someone's lively-hood.

I believe I switched to vaping about 5-6 years ago, I eventually built myself a mod when the cig-a-likes I was using died then this has been reconfigured many times since(mostly 510's & some case materials) It is powered via MOSFET/LiPo batteries presently(I use these for RC modelling so they've been replaced a few times) @ 8.4 Volts.I am also still using my Chinese Zenith Mk1 & 2's with DIY squonk pins as my DIY mod was turned into a squonking mod quite some years ago. I have some genuine gear,a Dreadnaut (1.5 Kg's!!!!!)mod & somewhere is a tiny 16mm RDA that has a seized air-ring & a centre-post/pin combo with nothing to unscrew but made out of bionic metal as I gave up ruining tiny drill-bits trying to get it into use on my squonk box mod.The centre-post insulator is supposed to be "high temperature" (or higher temp than cheap plastics) but had melted from the heat being generated by my trying to drill through the centre pin.

If anyone wants a MtL tank,source an old Kayfun. I remember drilling out the mouthpiece thinking it was causing the restriction,then seeing a YT video on "spotting" clones or such took mine apart to find the centre-pin screwed into a minute diameter tube with insufficient material left in its walls to drill it out some. I recall lots of older gear that I would frequently modify to increase their airflow,if it buggered the atty.... it had been a cheap clone as I didn't wish to damage a genuine piece(hence why my Dreadnaut is still in the drawer unused....£180!!! for a mod I've used a few times & decided it didn't allow a satisfying vape) My daughter bought me 2 RDA's for an Xmas present a few years ago,they produced an unsatisfying vape so in the drawer they went. The only RDA's I enjoy are those I've "formatted/crafted" or adapted to MY taste. I've added several types of mod to my collection,all from Asia once the hoohaa over them has quieted....variable power up to 150 watts,temperature control etc. but I still find myself resuming each day with my DIY squonker box filled full of my DIY custard. Occasionally,I'll have a day off the custard but I'm so bored of trying to decide if I'll like/hate a suggested recipe so invariably resort to bunging a few flavours to the back of the cupboard & mix up 200 Ml of custard whilst also knocking up strawberry/caramel/menthol or whatever in 30 Ml bottle size. I've also done umpteen tobacco+ X but only in 10 ML sizes fortunately as not long after making them,I fell out with tobacco flavours so these were also chucked in a drawer to see if steeping would improve their frequently vile but fruity tastes.

AcmeFog
Blimey chegs, you were modifying way back. Fortunately despite trying diff flavours when i first took up vaping, I just mix menthol, my version of your baccy apathy are sweet or fruity. I used to love vanilla mixed with cherry, then one day my body said 'no more' its too rich, so neutral dependable menthol it is. Thanks for your reply

I have spoken to Perseas at Vapourart many times over the past few years, and to put it simply Vapourart shutting up shop boils down to the Greek economy, market trends shifting and the ever increasing cost of the parts and shipping fees. Even shifting the vast majority of their production work over to Bulgaria did nothing to alleviate their issues.

The high end scene these days is nowhere near what it was 18 months-2 years ago. Squonking has taken over, and there’s also vast amount of choice available for vapers these days, especially with budget and mid range gear performing so well. I know I spend far less on gear that what I used to :D

The GP Dripper and GP Dripper Pro are two of the absolute best squonking atties I have owned, however they came to market too late- I’ve no doubt that if they came out 6 months or so earlier, they would have taken the market by storm and Vapourart might possibly still be here today.

It’s the way the market is these days, Vapourart wasn’t the first and they certainly won’t be the last to go either. However some of the Vapourart team may reappear in the market in some capacity at some point ;)

Smoore
I spose for a one off the costs would be very high. Hopefully is been alerted by his name written, so may want to provide the ins and outs of it all.Stu would you like to share the story with us please?

It was the tooling cost that was prohibitive.
And that was using a supply chain i know in China. There is a thread on here where I posted all the design details, drawings and materials

Then the goon came out which kind of took the wind out of our sails a little!

Back
Top Bottom