What's new

Why do some mods ask " New Coil Yes/No "

VenomX

Achiever
Hi guys, just wondering why some mods ask " New coil " yes/no, when you change the coil.

I know it has something to do with the Ohms/Resistance but thats about it.

thanks

Hi guys, just wondering why some mods ask " New coil " yes/no, when you change the coil.

I know it has something to do with the Ohms/Resistance but thats about it.

thanks

I think, but don't know for sure, as not an expert on this.........

If you change coil the atomiser will measure the resistance, but only change it's setting if you confirm that's what you want to do.
For example, you have been using a 0.2 ohm coil, you change it for a 0.1 ohm coil, if you say "not new coil" it will carry on with settings for a 0.2 ohm coil, if you say "new coil, it will change the settings to suit a 0.1 ohm coil.
I think it is only really relevant if you are running in temperature control mode.

But as I say, I could be wrong.
Be interesting to see if someone else agrees with me or not ;-)

Ok cool
Just to add to the confusion smok mods allow you to alter the Ohms, ive tried increasing/decreasing them but it makes no difference, so you may be correct in saying it only affects TC mode.

TC works by measuring the change in resistance when the coils heats up. The mod needs a baseline resistance measurement at the ambient temperature (which it also knows) to compare against.

As explained for TC, and also for standard power mode the mod needs to know the resistance of the coil to provide your set power.

For example, a 0.2 coil would need about 3.16V to output 50W. For the same 50W with a 0.5 Ohm coil, about 5V needs to be sent to the coil instead.

The mod 'asks the question' as the measured resistance is different from the previous to figure out whether you have changed the atomiser or the heat from the previous draw has changed the resistance of the metal in the coil (applies mostly with stainless steel as the resistance rises with heat)

The mod 'asks the question' as the measured resistance is different from the previous to figure out whether you have changed the atomiser or the heat from the previous draw has changed the resistance of the metal in the coil (applies mostly with stainless steel as the resistance rises with heat)

I've often wondered this myself, and that is a bloody good answer sir.

I've often wondered this myself.

Thats pretty much the exact answer there - What's happening is that the mod see's a different resistance (Usually more than a 20% difference from the last reading) and is asking Did you put a new coil / atomiser on or is this just the old one that hasn't cooled down yet (Since TC relies on the change in resistance as the wire heats). If you say Yes - it accepts the new reading as the baseline for a cold atomiser. If you say no - it reverts to the old reading - which is useful if you're using a bottom fill atty and have to refill, instead of waiting for it to cool down you can just say No - Old coil and it will carry on as before...

Thats pretty much the exact answer there - What's happening is that the mod see's a different resistance (Usually more than a 20% difference from the last reading) and is asking Did you put a new coil / atomiser on or is this just the old one that hasn't cooled down yet (Since TC relies on the change in resistance as the wire heats). If you say Yes - it accepts the new reading as the baseline for a cold atomiser. If you say no - it reverts to the old reading - which is useful if you're using a bottom fill atty and have to refill, instead of waiting for it to cool down you can just say No - Old coil and it will carry on as before...

Yup, and most good chips/boards in a mod will have the software to be able to recognise that the 510 connection has gone 'open circuit' (i.e. the resistance/atomiser has been removed) between button pushes and then ask you what is happening as a result. Some older cheaper mods 'ask' every time the screen shuts off or every time the mod is switched off too, which is annoying, and why some of my older mods end up back on the shelf when i remember why they have dust on them!

Back
Top Bottom