What's new

Why are so many people vaping non kanthal wire?

EndaStory

Postman
It is my understanding that Kanthal is the only wire that was intended to be used at high temperatures, So wouldn't that mean it's a risk to use SS, nichrome etc for vaping purposes?. Even if you stuck to TC and ensured you never went above a certain temp then how do you get your coils glowing evenly without dry firing? how do you clean the gunk buildup off? Is it honestly a risk worth taking?

Wouldnt it make more sense to just use a material that is tried and tested to be safe under these conditions rather than taking additional gambles?

Kanthal is safe to heat up to high temperatures but it’s questionable whether it’s safe to then inhale directly the fumes that come off it.

many people make spaced coils so don’t need to glow them, and just bin a coil and wrap a new one when it gets gunked.

Other types of wire heat up more quickly and have different characteristics that people might prefer.

These would probably be the main reasons.

wire is cheap so there's no need to dry burn it. The different wire types have different ramp ups or can give a similar vape at lower wattage than others. It is really all down to what you prefer, Besides in most cases the wire or coil is only heated momentarily so won't give off any fumes. you could do a google search on what wires can give off poisonous fumes and what temperatures at how long can cause them to do so.

Most vapers are ex smokers who did not manage to stop smoking till they discovered vaping.
Not people who base decisions on harm minimisation.
They might go for a bit of harm reduction if it is not too hard for them but will generally vape for max enjoyment rather than min risk often using the excuse that we smoked for years which is much worse than what we do now.

Why are so many people vaping flavours in their juice, flavours being a major source of potentially unknown risks?
Why are so many people vaping systems that use lots of juice rather than a little juice? Surely any risks with vaping must be increased the more we are doing it.

Mostly we vape what we vape because we like it.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/toaster1.htm

https://www.kanthal.com/en/products...e-heating-wire-and-resistance-wire/kanthal-a/

We have been using kanthal and nichrome in toasters for years along with stainless steel cutlery to eat, cook, and heat with.

If there were issues they would have been pulled long ago along with lead and copper.

But vaping is a bit of a different application than a toaster or cutlery. Each to their own of course. I mostly use ss to make coils, always spaced ones and never dry burn them. I think this is reasonably safe, definitely safer than smoking fags.

Why do we say there is no need to dry burn? How do you know if the coil is glowing consistently without dry burning?

Genuine newb question

Why do we say there is no need to dry burn? How do you know if the coil is glowing consistently without dry burning?

Genuine newb question

I only ever make spaced coils. You don’t need to glow them, they always heat up evenly.

I think Kanthal and Nichrome were used because they are stable in resistance and make good heating element wire for that reason.

Nichrome is a 'tried and tested' as Kanthal anyway, it's not a new thing.

Sometimes dry burning fresh coils removes a funny taste removes things like machine oil and steralizes the wire so it is a good idea to do so

Back
Top Bottom