What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Swapping one addiction for another...

This is whats making me think that nicotine itself isnt actually that addictive, i mean, Why would tabacco companies need to add more additives to nicotine when its already described as a highly addictive substance?

Youve stopped smoking, started vaping...youve stopped inhaling all them Addictive chems in cigs and somehow have the same addiction to an ecig? but other nrt's like patches and gums just dont have the same effect at all? Still getting nicotine to your system arnt you... so what is it that keeps you hooked on an ecig? Is it the actual act of smoking? The therputic deep inhale of chilling the fuck out for 5mins? Its gotta be something other than nicotine.

I don't think my addiction ever really was nicotine, I mean I guess I'd crave it in the same way I'd miss guacamole, or cheese if I was told I couldn't have em anymore. It was always the hand --> mouth comfort thing, only realised that when I started vaping because it helped me quit almost immediately when all else failed in the past.

I don't think my addiction ever really was nicotine, I mean I guess I'd crave it in the same way I'd miss guacamole, or cheese if I was told I couldn't have em anymore. It was always the hand --> mouth comfort thing, only realised that when I started vaping because it helped me quit almost immediately when all else failed in the past.

thats exactly the same with me. Like i say, i find i vape more when im doing jackshit, because it keeps my hands busy, if im not vaping im biting my nails and before you say, no its not a nervous disposition from not having nicotine lol iv been biting my nails since in the womb, just always gotta do summat with my hands

Arrgh...people....mekkin me so mad!!

Was in the park earlier today, enjoying the rare sun, and a lass with a ciggie approached me and asked if 'that thing' was any help giving up the cigs. That 'thing' ofc being my vape ;)
We had a fairly pleasant chat about vaping but as I got up to leave she said,

'but you haven't really given up anything, you just swapped one addiction for another...'

I avoided the temptation to argue about it or bool her into the lake for activating rage mode on such a fine day...she was about double my weight anyway lol
But I been thinking about it since and well, we're not swapping addictions are we...we're still big fans of nicotine as we were when we smoked. From another perspective tho, we have swapped cigarettes for mods n' juice. Even if that's the case...should we be more like - so what, nicotine isn't that harmful and as was mentioned in another thread somewhere here, we have given something up...all the combusted shite in tobacco cigarettes.
I've tied my brain up in knots now tho, I was filled with such righteous indignity at the time but now I'm home I'm wondering if essentially she was so wrong...and if she wasn't wrong, then why does it matter to me? After all she's the one still puffing on a cancer stick not me ;) Or is that an attempt to oversimplify the matter, and it's more of a grey area than a simple black and white issue? I was thinking of blogging on it, as I tend to write about what's on my mind and I have no exciting vape expo shenanigans to talk about lol so I'm interested to hear what you folk think when you hear that ridiculously annoying 'haven't given anything up' line. If I do blog on it I might quote any corkers, so if ya don't wanna be quoted then say so :) If anyone has read anything interesting in a similar vein then lemme know that too - I like to include a bit of science where I can :D

I'm getting as fed up with this as i am with the 'You're vaping Antifreeze' argument when i say E Juice has Propylene Glycol in it.

I swapped the addiction of spending money on burning things, to spending money on expensive lumps of metal.

Nicotines just the fun add-on that keeps me coming back

I could argue that I'm 'addicted' to oxygen, because my body needs it.
It would be far easier to iradicate my 'want' for nicotine, but with fairly solid scientific research to suggest vaping has minimal physical risks, I'm more than happy with the compromise I've made in the transition from cigarettes to ejuice....both financially and health wise.
Was I to be locked in a room and studied under laboratory conditions as to how my mental state was effected by being denied nicotine, or the pleasures that the pastime of vaping brings me, I'm confident I'd cope better than the teenager in the room next to me who was denied the internet or social media.

If something we enjoy is always accessible, then we may appear to be dependant on it, but as previously mentioned, if it's not harming you or others, then all is well.

I used to console myself with the thought that even if I am still addicted to nicotine at least vaping won't likely contribute to my early demise.

But.. if my Mrs finds the shinyitis receipts..

There's a new study out stating that vaping nicotine is not as addictive as smoking it, so although vapes do allow the continuing of a nicotine addiction, there are no other nasties in the vapor & it should then be easier to stop completely after moving over from fags. (if you so desire)

There's a new study out stating that vaping nicotine is not as addictive as smoking it, so although vapes do allow the continuing of a nicotine addiction, there are no other nasties in the vapor & it should then be easier to stop completely after moving over from fags. (if you so desire)
Sounds good to know there is evidence supporting our theories on nicotine,
i do fear that all the bullshit results tobacco and pharma companies are pumping out is just making me more biased towards the 'benefits' of vaping, which in turn causes a problem that if a genuine evidence exists on the negatives of vaping, i just wont beleive it...
The boy who cried wolf, comes to mind.

I gave up the habit of smoking. Now I have a vaping hobby. It's so therapeutic coiling and wicking a rda

Back
Top Bottom