What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

success

Jonty

Postman
Recently I purchased from 2 different sellers what I would call 'high end' devices both listed as used, 1. a Hastur 88w mod and 2. a Kayfun Prime atty both in great condition really pleased with them. The kayfun was solely for use with the Hastur, to my eye they are a match made in heaven and only to be used together for my evening enjoyment (not in the dusty workshop during the day) haha.

So when the kayfun arrived that evening was build time, a nice looking coil had been left in it so thought I would check test it on the meter first and all was good reading 1.00 ohms so wicked filled and onto the mod, oops reading 9.99ohms and indicated problem with coil,

So dismantled and re-checked on meter all good, back on the Hastur same message, I put my Ares 2 on the Hastur to check it wasn't a mod problem, all good couple of tokes on it to settle the nerves thank you Manabush.
So dismantled and made a new coil and tried again same message.

So detective mode set in, remembering comments about ohm fluctuation problems experienced by some on the kayfun due to center pin not been tightened correctly, I looked at the center pin first and noticed that it was sitting just a tad below the outer threaded section ie not protruding out like on my other atty's. Onto YT to have a closer look at Phil Busardo's & Todd's reviews which I'd already seen part of my research before committing to a purchase along with Svoemesto's Kayfun website, all clearly showed the pin protruding above the threaded section,

So me thinks this is the problem. I contacted the seller and sent him a photo of it as it was and informed him that I believed that there was a problem, response was it worked perfectly for him (fair play) but he would contact the Kayfun FB group on my behalf (I don't do FB) for information, the advice received back was to unscrew the pin and to flip the insulator around which I did and sure enough the pin protruded approx 1.5mm above, however this to me was a concern,

After many years of auto electricery restoration on vintage motorcycles and understanding the importance of proper electrical insulation alarm bells rang. The said insulator by design has only 1 correct way to be fitted, the one end has a smaller stepped diameter that seats into a hole in the base of the airflow disc indicator thus insulating the inner wall of the hole from the screw pin passing through it, by turning the insulator round the larger diameter end does not fit into said hole therefore any slight moment of the pin from side to side however small the probability would mean contact and resulting in a short,.

I informed seller that I wasn't going risk putting it on my mod this way as it wasn't designed to be that way round and a new insulator would I believe to be the only correct solution, He kindly again took the time to post on the Arse Book group my concerns only to be told that it must be a problem with my Hastur Mod and I should have done my research,

I must admit I was a bit offended and hurt by this comment I had done my research beforehand, to me this was a considerable outlay for a second hand item, in my research I could't find anywhere saying couldn't be used on such or such mod but hay ho.

So I decided to contact the Svoemesto support team myself, I sent them a photo of the pin as it was when I first received it in the tank they suggested a new insulator would be needed. They kindly sent me a new one £16.49 inc P&P. Received it Saturday,
As previously posted nice quite house this afternoon, so fitted new insulator, new build and wick onto the Hastur, filled with Lancashire Steam Gin Bramble' bloody beautiful amazing flavor just what I hoped for from the Kayfun and the jucie, This pairing is for high days and holidays only, loving them both, all's well that ends well.
P1000358.JPG

Last edited:
Glad you got it all sorted in the end, nice looking set up.

Don't forget you can update the firmware on the mod now if you want to....

Fuck those posing twats that format their textwall to make it readable, go get 'em tiger...

Sorry about that chap didn’t do well at all in English exams or any other as it happens, is there an app I could download to help me you would recommend

Ignore me, I just can't read it, my loss.

@Jonty bought a Kayfun and a Hastur mod because he thought they looked nice together.

Build was shorting out, got a new centre pin from Svoemesto, works fine now, Jonty a happy man.

... oh and twats on Facebook said there was something wrong with the mod but there wasn't.

Thanks for that, glad it worked out @Jonty

(I guess Si remembers I have visual disturbances and cant follow blocks of text like that. I lose the will to live after a couple of lines)

just tried to edit it, I bet it now makes me look even more like a paper hat.

Back
Top Bottom