What's new

Smoke Alarms

icepie

Postman
Sorry if this is common knowledge and I'm just late to the party. I've done some digging and found out why my vape sets off my smoke alarm. There are basically two types of detectors: Optical and Ionization. Without going into the sciencey bit, suffice to say an optical detector will be activated by vapour and an ionization detector probably won't. A lot of household alarms are now hybrids using both methods, but alarms without the optical component are available.

HOWEVER...

"In tests, ionization alarms will typically respond about 30 to 90 seconds faster to “fast-flame” fires than photoelectric smoke alarms. However, in smoldering [sic] fires ionization alarms respond an average of 15 to 50 minutes slower than photoelectric alarms. Several studies indicate that they will outright fail to activate up to 20-25% of the time. The vast majority of residential fire fatalities are due to smoke inhalation, not from the actual flames and almost two-thirds of fire fatalities occur at night while we sleep." Source: http://www.propertyevaluation.net/Photoelectric vs Ionization Smoke Alarms - Deadly Differences.html

I'm going to install one of each and switch off the optical alarm when I'm indoors and awake.

Its altogether cheaper to stick your missus' shower cap over it when you're having a sesh :D

I got one of they shower cap type covers from a work site I was on that they have fitted over the alarms before the remnants move in

If I'm in the house and having a wee sesh it gets covered then before bed I clear the air and whip the cover off

I own my own property, & when we moved in a couple of years back, there was & still is some hard wired smoke detectors, the make is shark something or another, how ever these poxy things would go off even when you had a shower & opened the bathroom door the steam set them off, then my vape kept setting them off & the only way I could fix the issue was shower caps, & we have 2 other battery operated smoke detectors that aren't set off by my vape or shower lol.

Good info. Reckon I need to get a shower cap, I set mine off at.2.30am the other day, both the missus and baby were not happy :19:

Its altogether cheaper to stick your missus' shower cap over it when you're having a sesh :D
It's on a high ceiling and can't be arsed to climb up and down there every day. So, if I'm going to relocate it to somewhere more accessible I may as well get both types.

I got one of they shower cap type covers from a work site I was on that they have fitted over the alarms before the remnants move in

If I'm in the house and having a wee sesh it gets covered then before bed I clear the air and whip the cover off
What would be really useful is if you could just rotate the cover to block/unblock the intakes, like on a vape tank. I've looked for such a design but AFAICT none exists.

I own my own property, & when we moved in a couple of years back, there was & still is some hard wired smoke detectors, the make is shark something or another, how ever these poxy things would go off even when you had a shower & opened the bathroom door the steam set them off, then my vape kept setting them off & the only way I could fix the issue was shower caps, & we have 2 other battery operated smoke detectors that aren't set off by my vape or shower lol.
If it's hard wired, can't you install a switch?

Back
Top Bottom