What's new

New shop?

Em32

Hello everybody.

I have a little idea of opening a vape shop but.....
The problem is i could only have the shop open on Friday Saturday sundays and mondays.
Would that put people off if i was closed the 3 other days.

Opinions would be great thanks.

The fact that it'd be open all weekend might appeal to working folk who couldn't get there during the week.

I rarely use b&m's so can't really offer more than that.

Well as a business it simply doesn't make sense really. You'd be paying rent every week for three blank days, and also a shop closed most of the working week would put off customers, it's just a bit odd. Why not just employ someone to run it on those other days?

I've been past (and in some times) my local B&M, on all the different days of the week. The worse days to visit are Saturday and Sunday. Saturdays it's busy, Sundays it's normally rammed. Although that might be because parking in the big carpark at the end of the street, is free on Sundays.

I could see that working, most if not all of my friends who have vape shops do most of their business at the weekends, and don't take much in, in the middle of the week.
But, and this is a big but, you could be pitting yourself against a group of already established shops.
You'd need to be prepared to make a loss for a while till you build up some regular customers.

I know it doesnt make sense being closed 3 days but i have my kids on those days and i wouldnt want to employ someone and not being able to pay them if the worst happens.
The rent is cheap £60 a week.
The shop closest to where i would be only sells there own made bottle shot type stuff no brand liquids. So i think it could work.

Hire someone for the other days. If you are not making the £80 profit on the days they are working to pay them then it's probably not a viable business.

You'd not just be competing with the other local stores but the online stores as well who can generally deliver within 24 hours.. although being open on a Sunday gives you a bit of an advantage.

If it became more of a club than a shop it could work part-time but it still has to be profitable.

edit: just a thought but if you have the stock anyway then you could do online sales as well.. same day delivery by taxi in the local area on your closed days if you can take the kids in for an hour to make up the shipments or hire someone to do that.

Last edited:
I know it doesnt make sense being closed 3 days but i have my kids on those days and i wouldnt want to employ someone and not being able to pay them if the worst happens.
The rent is cheap £60 a week.
The shop closest to where i would be only sells there own made bottle shot type stuff no brand liquids. So i think it could work.

Hi all, been watching this thread with interest since it started today.
Some very interesting input.

I am biding my time before saying much at this stage, I had a similar plan last year, to ease me into semi retirement, did all the costings etc, but shelved it for a while to see how the market would change post TPD.

@Em32 what sort of place is the shop in ?
Village, small town, large town ? as the rent seems very cheap.
Location, market square, high street, main shopping area ?

These things can have a big impact on peoples shopping habits.

Regards badboybez

Do you know where you want to open one? The vape shops that want to make loads place themselves near to where loads of people work so are busy during the week - commuter towns are quiet during the week but busy at weekends. So my only bit of advice would be to check out the demographic choose a few towns and visit each every day for one week. Sit in a coffee shop watch the footfall count the smokers and vapers and finally compare your numbers with the rent you might pay for that location. The better the ratio for weekends might be useful in making your decision

Hi all, been watching this thread with interest since it started today.
Some very interesting input.

I am biding my time before saying much at this stage, I had a similar plan last year, to ease me into semi retirement, did all the costings etc, but shelved it for a while to see how the market would change post TPD.

@Em32 what sort of place is the shop in ?
Village, small town, large town ? as the rent seems very cheap.
Location, market square, high street, main shopping area ?

These things can have a big impact on peoples shopping habits.

Regards badboybez

Totally that. The two B&Ms nearest my work are the same distance away and are both great. One is a shop run by enthusiasts but on a crappy side street populated with charity shops and bookies., The other a national chain on a major shopping street that is also a major commuter route between the business district and the nearest transport hub.

Both are doing well but for very different reasons due mainly to their location.

Back
Top Bottom