What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Has anyone ever had a call from DHL?

Simon G

Olympian
I won a voopoo comp the other day, tracking says it's started in the system but not left Hong Kong.

Today I get a call that's supposedly from DHL... (prize was sent DHL and voopoo asked for my number) they tell me they have a parcel of mine at customs and they want to know what's in it.

So I tell them I don't know, I don't remember buying anything... I was curious to see where this would go and didn't want to say too much obviously. The woman on the phone was all "You don't remember what you bought?" so I said maybe it was one of those ebay purchases that look like they are in the UK but aren't or something...

anyway after a bit I say "Oh, it might be a prize I won, that's coming from overseas" .. then she says "well did you know you'll have to pay £5 for this and £10 for that etc"

So I say "No, I didn't and considering I don't know what the prize is or it's value I'm not sure I want to"

Then she tells me it has a stated value of $23, so I say "Well no, I'm not happy paying another £15 to get something worth $23 am I? Especially as it's supposed to be a free prize"

So she says "well we can ask the sender to pay it, if you want?" so I basically tell her that they can do whatever they like, but I'm not going to pay it. :D

.... then she's all "OK then we'll try that and kind of ends the phone call"

Has anyone experienced this before? It all felt really scammy to me.

I didn't give them any personal information, they had my name and mobile number and said it was a parcel coming from hong kong, which it is. If it really is DHL, then they need to change their procedures because it all felt very dodgy in todays world.

Afraid to say , yeah I had the same thing, for an Item for review a couple weeks agao, they said the same to me, about collecting from the sender etc
3 weeks and today an invoice for vat and their fee drops through the door
stated value was $25 ish, on theeir invoice its 40 pounds, they want 8 quid vat and their 11 quid charge on top,

In the process of arguing this one out

No, not had this personally. However, I'm sure this has happened to at least one person on the forum for items they got sent for review. Not sure who it was on here now

Yes I got one today asking me what was in my package from Hong Kong..
Told them it was a vape kit for vaping she said like a electronic cigarette I said not really it’s a pod kit
and they asked about nicotine..told then it was just a vape device nothing else and they then released it from customs.
There was no mention of fees or payment of any kind..woman was very nice as it goes..
This is also a comp win from Voopoo.

Ah, well... no prize for me then. :17:

From their own website..

https://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/customs_support/duties_taxes/duties_taxes_receivers.html

What goods are subject to Duty and VAT?
All goods imported into the UK from outside the EU must be declared to HM Revenue & Customs and in most cases, are subject to Customs Duty and VAT. This includes goods bought over the Internet.

It's not always about the purchasing!

If someone sends you a gift from abroad that is over £39 in value, you will also be obliged to pay the Duty and VAT unless the person who sent it has agreed to pay it themselves. Likewise, if you are the person sending you need to remember that if you don't take the time to include the proper invoices then your shipment could be held in customs or the person you are sending to may be charged too much Duty and VAT.

... $23 is not over £39, so they can go swivel. They were a bit sneaky trying to get me to say that it was something I'd bought, I told them consistently that, I hadn't bought anything... so yeah, whatever, no skin really.

I'm not gonna argue they can do whatever they like, I can't be arsed. :D

Ah, well... no prize for me then. :17:

From their own website..

https://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/customs_support/duties_taxes/duties_taxes_receivers.html

What goods are subject to Duty and VAT?
All goods imported into the UK from outside the EU must be declared to HM Revenue & Customs and in most cases, are subject to Customs Duty and VAT. This includes goods bought over the Internet.

It's not always about the purchasing!

If someone sends you a gift from abroad that is over £39 in value, you will also be obliged to pay the Duty and VAT unless the person who sent it has agreed to pay it themselves. Likewise, if you are the person sending you need to remember that if you don't take the time to include the proper invoices then your shipment could be held in customs or the person you are sending to may be charged too much Duty and VAT.

... $23 is not over £39, so they can go swivel. They were a bit sneaky trying to get me to say that it was something I'd bought, I told them consistently that, I hadn't bought anything... so yeah, whatever, no skin really.

I'm not gonna argue they can do whatever they like, I can't be arsed. :D

just to add to my post they did deliver it though, couple weeks ago, now they want the fees?
kind of know the outcome of that lol

just to add to my post they did deliver it though, couple weeks ago, now they want the fees?
kind of know the outcome of that lol

... They delivered it and then sent you a bill for the fees? is that even legal!? they should card you and say there's fees to pay surely, like RM do? Was there anything on the parcel about having fees? It could have been any old junk delivered to you, it sounds ripe for a scam.

... They delivered it and then sent you a bill for the fees? is that even legal!? they should card you and say there's fees to pay surely, like RM do? Was there anything on the parcel about having fees? It could have been any old junk delivered to you, it sounds ripe for a scam.

exactly I thought the same, 2 phonecalls with "border force" and "dhl" , tbh I just thought it was sorted via them with the sender

especially when the item turned up a few days later, when If fees to pay previously dhl usually want it paid before delivery or at the door

until this invoice today wanting a bank transfer, thought that was a little dodgy to, tbh . needless to say I'm letting it run its course and wont be paying it myself

edit. nothing on the box regarding fees as far as I can remember, definitely wouldnt pay it just see if it turns up would be my advice

Yes I got one today asking me what was in my package from Hong Kong..
Told them it was a vape kit for vaping she said like a electronic cigarette I said not really it’s a pod kit
and they asked about nicotine..told then it was just a vape device nothing else and they then released it from customs.
There was no mention of fees or payment of any kind..woman was very nice as it goes..
This is also a comp win from Voopoo.

Maybe your pod kit was valued under £15 or whatever it is now. Hopfully you'll get it ok then. :)

either way, I think I'll be avoiding DHL.

Back
Top Bottom