What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Goddamit, How do you make alien wire?

Biscuit

Postman
Claptons. Check.

Fused claptons. Check.

Staggered Claptons. Check (ish)

Alien wire. Goddamit!!

I can vaguely get it to work for about half an inch, then it turns to shite, another half inch, Shite, Shite, Full inch, Shite Etc. They don't seem that tight either.

Am I missing something or are these just a knack that takes loads of practice?

I'm not making these just 'because', I really do find the fused claptons really good, and would like to try the alien, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort right now...?

Yeeeaaaahhhh.... it's me :)

I'd actually seen the video already. Doh.

Wax on, Wax off.

Not just you mate. I can do the straight stuff tidy and tight but there is something different about that wiggly wire stuff.

Figure it's a case of allowing yourself to get it wrong often enough to learn how not to.

Repetition, repetition, repetition and a lot of wasted wire. You just need to figure out how much to lead the wire, how much to stretch the decord clapton and how much tension to hold the wire with, once you get that down its as easy as making a fused clapton.

Not just you mate. I can do the straight stuff tidy and tight but there is something different about that wiggly wire stuff.
Figure it's a case of allowing yourself to get it wrong often enough to learn how not to.

Aye, I picked up claptons & fused claptons easy. 100% every time atfer the 2nd attempt. Staggered was a little more faff, but no big deal. I'll admit I haven't tried *that* many times at the aliens, but I was shocked at how much harder they were.

Repetition, repetition, repetition and a lot of wasted wire. You just need to figure out how much to lead the wire, how much to stretch the decord clapton and how much tension to hold the wire with, once you get that down its as easy as making a fused clapton.

I figured out the stretch pretty quickly, I suspect my tension on the wrap is too inconsistant tbh. Will these ever get as tight as a good fused clapton? I 've been using a drill, but nothing at the other end of the core wires, I may try a bearing/fishing spinner on the end to tighten them a bit and stop them waggling around.

I've nevre tried vaping an alien, Are they really any better than a Fused clapton/Staggered?

I found an easy ish way based round a few youtube tutorials combined

Standard drill and swivel set up, going to skip the Clapton wrap bit

So get the three core wires equal and in the chuck /swivel

I stretch my Clapton wrap a lot less than the tutorials make it look, it's still a very spring like wire

Take a small keyring, I use one that would about fit on my pinky finger now and very carefully wrap it into the wire like attaching a key but so that the wire is trapped in the keyring on both sides, this holds the cores flat for about 2 inches to each side and makes twisting or crushing the cores together a lot harder

Then when wrapping the alien I hold the wire about a hands length away and about an inch or two forward from the point im wrapping and very slow

Move towards the keyring and when you get close slowly stop (not instantly) and move it along, start very slow and speed back up to where you are comfortable

You can use a little more tension because of the keyring than without and this helps with the slightly understreched wrap (which helps tighten up the wrap)

This can give a slightly spaced wrap but is so much easier than thing for a perfectly tight alien and I find the resulting coil performs pretty much as standard for aliens
15066811812951584031283.jpg

This is a poor example of the keyring I mentioned (wrong one can't find my coiling one just now) and some off the spool 24g.
You would want the cores straightend and more centered to make an alien

I made these three other day using this method and it was the easiest I've done yet
1506681426780252704278.jpg

If you make a mistake - slowly reverse and rewrap at a 90 degree angle very slow - this can save a small portion

Always lead the wrap ahead

Don't stress, don't go fast, don't expect a perfect result every time

Aliens are hell to make and take practice
Or crazy wire now stocks patinos alien makers now (just easier than my keyring set up but same thing really)

Aye, I picked up claptons & fused claptons easy. 100% every time atfer the 2nd attempt. Staggered was a little more faff, but no big deal. I'll admit I haven't tried *that* many times at the aliens, but I was shocked at how much harder they were.

I figured out the stretch pretty quickly, I suspect my tension on the wrap is too inconsistant tbh. Will these ever get as tight as a good fused clapton? I 've been using a drill, but nothing at the other end of the core wires, I may try a bearing/fishing spinner on the end to tighten them a bit and stop them waggling around.

I've nevre tried vaping an alien, Are they really any better than a Fused clapton/Staggered?
Thought I would add this in here now.

I would say the swivel is necessary, especially for my method as it helps maintain an even tension, and tension is the hardest part as it's different to all the other coil types(ones I've made anyway)

They have a result similar to a good staggered Clapton but not the same if that makes sense?

I find like staggered they do perform a lot better flavor and vape density wise than most easier coils, and a good set can be dry burned and cleaned for months

I'd also suggest 34g+ for the wrap 36 is my favourite

I've only tried the Alien wrap in 32g (over twin 24g and twin 28g,all kanthal so far). I've got 34g too - might make it easier with the thinner wire?

I've only tried the Alien wrap in 32g (over twin 24g and twin 28g,all kanthal so far). I've got 34g too - might make it easier with the thinner wire?
Far easier imo

I used to struggle with 32 on 26g but using 34 I got those king the pics and using 36 it takes longer but is easier again

Back
Top Bottom