What's new

Cthulhu Tube V2 - First look

Simon G

Olympian
This just turned up from my friends @cthulhumod so I took some quick pictures. I'll be testing it out over the next week or so.

If you have any questions or want me to try anything out for you, just stick it down in a reply and I'll do my best. I'm happy to try different tanks and resistances etc if I can.

I'm giving this away here, if you think you might enjoy this get your name down at some point. The Mod has the serial number 00005 .. so if you dig the low number thing, that's pretty low!!

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ay-s/threads/cthulhu-mods-tube-mod-v2.208531/

They were also kind enough to send their new 'Gaia 510 tip kit' so I'll be giving that away too with the mod... all metal, lots of nice taller shapes for MTL vapers. Thank you Cthulhu. :)

IMG_20211005_122230.jpg

IMG_20211005_122630.jpg
IMG_20211005_122650.jpg
IMG_20211005_122658.jpg
IMG_20211005_122329.jpg
IMG_20211005_122406.jpg
IMG_20211005_122434.jpg
IMG_20211005_122439.jpg
IMG_20211005_122456.jpg
IMG_20211005_122543.jpg
IMG_20211005_122548.jpg
IMG_20211005_122559.jpg

... more soon. :)

Lovely! I really like Cthulhu mods designs, I have the Hastur Mod and it reminds of the ZNA from House of Hybrids but with a more simple and sleek design. I saw they are bringing out a little boro tank device soon and it looks really nice. Love the simple beauty of that tube

First impressions are that I like it more than the V1 tube.

The board is more enclosed, the bottom mechanical fire button feels nicer and more robust than the little actuator and board mounted switch on the v1. It also makes it feel more like using a mech, which some people will like. The little green LED is nice and sits behind the tiny hole so it's not in anyway 'distracting' for want of a better word.

Very plain and simple, the only 'branding' is on the button

The lock is nice and smooth, it's just a ring that screws out and stops the button being depressed and works well.

It's about 85mm if anyone is wondering .... or 57mm in 18350 mode and 24mm dia,

Not sure there's much else to say, it works and does what it supposed to do. :D

It's $39.99 at Cthulhu (about £30) which seems alright to me. As long as the little board holds up in the top, there's not much else to go wrong.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the positive pin, it's the same/similar bit of bent metal that was on the V1 board, it's got the silicon under it to stop it being mashed, but it's still a weak point that could potentially fail over time. ... hopefully not but worth pointing out I think. I would prefer a proper sprung pin in the top but I guess that's more space and more cost.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the positive pin, it's the same/similar bit of bent metal that was on the V1 board, it's got the silicon under it to stop it being mashed, but it's still a weak point that could potentially fail over time. ... hopefully not but worth pointing out I think. I would prefer a proper sprung pin in the top but I guess that's more space and more cost.

The only thing I can think is that a metal spring is more likely to take a set and lose position than an appropriately chosen elastomer...

Any chance of a pic of said contact?

The only thing I can think is that a metal spring is more likely to take a set and lose position than an appropriately chosen elastomer...

Any chance of a pic of said contact?

You can sort of see it here, it's soldered to the top of the PCB and just kind of bent up... it works fine but over time I think there could be enough up/down movement in it to make the metal weak at one of the bends.

IMG_20211005_122406.jpg

The only reason it's a concern to me, is that I had to re-solder one on the V1 that snapped off. .. but that was before they put the silicon under it.

It's probably fine on these now (Cthulhu had a bit of a nightmare replacing people's boards and stuff with the V1) but I'm still not a fan of this type of connection, I just wish it was a little more robust, especially if someone had a bunch of attys with longer than normal pins.

IMG_20190222_045322.jpg

You can sort of see it here, it's soldered to the top of the PCB and just kind of bent up... it works fine but over time I think there could be enough up/down movement in it to make the metal weak at one of the bends.

Ah, inside the 510, I see.

Yes, that's not a great design at all. It'd be possible to fit something much better in that space at the design stage too...

Depends how you use it though I suppose - if you're swapping atties all the time I can definitely see an issue. If you only use one attie and it only comes off to recoil it then it should last plenty long enough.

Not a fan of mechy type mods, but am watching with interest. Interested in the tips and would be good to know what bore they are. Are they all MTL or some and some? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom