What's new

Cotton Bacon vs Fiber Freaks vs Muji

scrumpox

Veteran
I do love a good wick. Always sceptical about the latest thing but I'm a sucker for giving it a try. Silica, braided silica, voodoowool, ekowool, cotton, organic cotton, cellucotton, china grass ... I've tried them all at some point. I've been a committed Muji user for months now - it's not that much better than organic cotton balls but it's so much easier to use and is very efficient. Dry hits are a thing of the past for me but there is still something muting and wooly about the flavour from cotton, whatever the type. I did prefer the clean taste of cellucotton but the usability of Muji won the day for me, I really dislike handling cellucotton and making wicks from it. I never had a reaction from it as some vapers reported.

Two new vaper targeted brands have hit the market and by Christ they're expensive compared to the generic product. But they claim to be far superior, both suggest the product is by vapers for vapers. It was only a matter of time before I gave them a try.

Cotton Bacon - a vacuum sealed pack containing strips of cotton wool, by appearance they're simply unrolled cotton wool balls. Closer examination shows the fibres are long and aligned, so you're looking at the soft, fluffy contents of a Muji pad once the outer skins have been peeled off. Easy enough to tear off what you need and make a wick. Vaping in it, I've found no difference in performance or flavour to Muji. It tastes the same.

Fiber Freaks - also comes in a vacuum sealed pack with a choice of densities - type 2 is recommended for RDAs, type 1 is thinner/looser and better suited for RTAs and the smaller coils found in clearos. Rather than bacon strips these are felted pads which you can cut into strips to prepare a wick much like a Muji pad, only without an outer skin. Easy to work with unlike cellucotton and highly absorbant. Vaping on it is exceptional; no underlying taste from it at all just super clean flavour from your juice.

I deliberately selected light and delicate juices for testing wicking material - like melon, passionfruit etc. Much less of a taste difference is apparent when vaping my usual tobacco blend.

Well, I now have plenty of Muji and Cotton Bacon to work through but as a vaper who likes a variety of juices entirely through RDAs I hereby declare Fiber Freaks type 2 the clear winner. Your mileage will undoubtedly vary. :)

Last edited:
Can't comment on Fiber Freaks but i find Cotton Bacon better then Muji. It's easier to work with and more absorbent, slightly funky flavour initially but disappears after a few hits to give a clean flavour. Considering the price though i'd be hard pressed to recommend it over plain regular Muji.

Also got a strange flavour from the Cotton Bacon initially, almost as if it was burning something off. Perhaps natural oils? Was a very clean taste after that, but I'd already been put off and I'm reluctant to use it again. The muji taste goes a lot quicker, at least for me. Will have to give this Fiber Freaks stuff a try.

jaangus recently mentioned Vapers Choice Cotton from P-Vaper - I wonder, has anyone given it a try?

Well thanks guys.... this information is completely at odds with the opinions expressed elsewhere! I was all set to buy some cotton bacon too.

Also got a strange flavour from the Cotton Bacon initially,

Yeah, doesn't last long though.

Cotton bacon rocks in the Lemo 2, I've been having massive issues with dry hits with the L2. I modded the lower part of the chimney and combining it with the bacon (instead of Muji) seems to have sorted it.

I been using muji for months, I still like the stuff but I reckon the bacon is better. Only downside to the bacon (apart from the initial weird taste) is that due to the way it's packaged I get lots of odd bits left over that arent really usable.

Nice little write up mate :D.

I don't seem to be using anything but cotton bacon at the moment although I do like fibre freaks #2.

I ordered some "little bit o'heaven" from clockwork vapers last week pretty much due to it coming in a fancy little jar I liked the look of. Think it's just under £7 for a tiny pot and my god it's fucking awful!! Nice and dense and wicks coils well just tastes like absolute dog shit!
I've given it a few goes and really tastes vile disappointed for such a pricey ripped up tampon :18:
Have you tried it pal?

Last edited:
Useful info which saves time and money for others, nice one. Anyone care to rank KGD in with those or is it essentially muji with a different name?

KGD and super drug are the only cottons I've used (superdrug cotton does not rank very high IMO BTW)

Useful info which saves time and money for others, nice one. Anyone care to rank KGD in with those or is it essentially muji with a different name?

KGD and super drug are the only cottons I've used (superdrug cotton does not rank very high IMO BTW)

I can say Koh Gen Do is marginally better that the cotton which comes with the Subtank but not tried Muji or Bacon, it's definitely better than the cotton balls sent with Naturevape coils.

Back
Top Bottom