What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Coils shorting?

Shtennek

Initiate
Hi guys,

First of all; Sorry if my English is bad - it is not my native language :-)

So... On to my problem. I recently started to build my own coils, and I REALLY enjoy doing so. My claptons work out really well and I start getting pretty decent at making claptons. So far so good!

Today I wanted to try something a bit different; A fused clapton and a tri-core fused clapton. They both came out looking really good actually, and without much twisting. So I was very satisfied the result. Then I of course wanted to test them out, and thats where the problems start; They short out? What can the reasons for that be? I have checked both for broken leads in the wrapping wire, to see if that could cause the problem. But there is no visible reasons that I can see. So maybe some of you more experienced DIY'ers can make suggestions on what I can check for? :-)

My normal clapton I got to work somehow by attaching it to one of my other mods, and then it worked fine - but I'm not 100% confident in using it.

If you need any pictures of the coils I can see if I can upload some :-)

/Kenneth

hi and welcome to the planet of the vapes . have you checked that your coils are not in contact with the posts on your deck or in contact with the side walls of the deck as this can cause shorting hope this helps you out a bit...

What rda are you using? Could be that the screws/clamps aren’t making appropriate contact with the coil leads. Sometimes I find that on some posts the Claptons require a bit of fiddling to get them to secure properly

Either that or the positive post is loose and the 510 needs tightening (unlikely seeing as other coils work but it could be that it has loosened up with use and you haven’t realised. Always worth giving it a quick tightening up)

hi and welcome to the planet of the vapes . have you checked that your coils are not in contact with the posts on your deck or in contact with the side walls of the deck as this can cause shorting hope this helps you out a bit...

Hi and thank you! This looks like a great forum :2thumbsup:

I checked, then double checked, and finally triple checked that the coils did not touch the posts or the deck, and I am 100% sure they did not. So I am really confused and frustrated :-P

When I got the message on my regulated mod, that "Atomizer Short", I took of the deck, remounted the coils and then checked all again; Nothing seems to solve the problem. Only thing I can think of, is that the inner lead is snapped, but I can't see how or why that should be the case? :-)

What rda are you using? Could be that the screws/clamps aren’t making appropriate contact with the coil leads. Sometimes I find that on some posts the Claptons require a bit of fiddling to get them to secure properly

Either that or the positive post is loose and the 510 needs tightening (unlikely seeing as other coils work but it could be that it has loosened up with use and you haven’t realised. Always worth giving it a quick tightening up)

I have tried on several different RDA's and RDTA's; CoilArt Mage RDA, GeekVape Tsunami 24 RDA. GeekVape Avocado 22 RDTA and an Aspire Quad-Flex RDTA. All giving me the same message. Also I tried tightening all the screws on all devices to check if the positive pin or 510 had become loose. That wasn't the case either.

Maybe a strange question; But can it be the wrapping Wire that is faulty? I just tried to make some round wire coils of 22GA wire, and they work perfect?

I have tried on several different RDA's and RDTA's; CoilArt Mage RDA, GeekVape Tsunami 24 RDA. GeekVape Avocado 22 RDTA and an Aspire Quad-Flex RDTA. All giving me the same message. Also I tried tightening all the screws on all devices to check if the positive pin or 510 had become loose. That wasn't the case either.

Maybe a strange question; But can it be the wrapping Wire that is faulty? I just tried to make some round wire coils of 22GA wire, and they work perfect?

Ah well in that case it’s definitely not the issues I mentioned!

In all honesty I don’t know that answer to your question. I don’t build my own but use pre built coils, so I’ll defer to people with more knowledge and experience

Are you sure its a short you have and not too low resistance? Have you tried one coil at a time? Initial resistance may be too low with potential hotspots which you may need to sort one coil out forst before instaling a second

What Haich said is the most likely cause, but even if they are too low resistance for you mod you should be getting a reading on the mod at least. Pics of the build might help but if you have already tried everything they might not.

I’d definitely try and install one at a time and see if that helps.

As above but also try firing the mod with no tank or rba on it before putting it back on as it could just be not recognising it as new coil.

Back
Top Bottom