What's new

Coil Master kit

I've got a good digital multi meter that reads ohm's , different sized pliers and wire cutters, loads of metric & imperial drill bits for internal coil diameter sizing. So would I be correct in saying all I need is ~ ceramic tweezers, and a good pair of scissors as suggested .
Yes.
Wilco do a good little pair of scissors on the thread/cotton section and ceramic tweesers can be picked up from ebay or amazon for a couple of quid.

Ceramic tweezers are not essential.
Never having owned them, I have never felt the need to manipulate a coil while firing it.

You do not need anything, unless the best scissors in your house are blunt. It sounds like you are not short of anything important.

I din't buy a toolkit at first just made do with what I had to hand and buying bits as and when I thought needed. I might aswell bought a small toolkit though as ive ended up buying all what you get seperate apart from ohm meter as I use a mod and screwdrivers. The plastic handled ceramic tweezers shown above are great for stuborn tanks if you don't get them in the kit id recomend gettin some seperate.

+1 to everyone who suggested ceramic tweezers. I think these are a must for for dry burning and tweaking the coil. A specific coil kit is useful, but it's not a necessity. Drill bits and halfway decent scissors does fine [emoji106].

Indeed the ceramic tweezer aspect of the tool i linked to is secondary to the VERY USEfUL 20-24mm circular grip And the smaller 510 threaded stump sized grip ;)

Neither are essential, both are nice to have

As I bought the bits as and when the ones that made the biggest difference to me were pointed angled tweezers much easier to tuck cotton, and then the kuro coilers once I got used to using them.

How about a mini coiling kit?
Had the idea awile ago so decided to see if I could put one together.
contents:
Wire cutters (nail clippers)
Scissors
Tweezers
T shape screwdriver tool 2 x hex head plus cross head 2.5mm
T shape screwdriver tool 2 x flat head plus cross head 2.5mm
2 x 1 ohm 28g kanthal coils
2 x strips of muji
and yes that is a fogstar 18650 eva case

coil2-jpg.215166
coil1-jpg.215167

Might not be the best tools but I reckon theres enough to get a new coil fitted and wicked in a emergency.

Enough room for a emergency 10ml aswell.
coil3-jpg.215169

Last edited:
I bought a vandy vape coil making kit, cost around 18 quid when I started making my own coils. Only thing I have from that original kit is the ceramic tweezers. Decent scissors, a couple of 2mm - 3.5mm drill bits, needle point tweezers, wire snips and the ceramic tweezers. Plus the shity little Alan keys and screwdrivers that come with everything. Whatever kit you buy will evolve and trim down to what you actually need over time once you suss this shit out, that's how it went for me

Although I understand the reason for tweaking and strumming coils, I don't think I've ever seen anyone come up with a good explanation of why it works but someone said once you don't need to understand it. Just do it.

Hence, I've always seen ceramic tweezers as a vital part of any coil building kit for bedding in and getting coils to fire up evenly from the centre. Since ceramic doesn't conduct heat you can tweak and strum the coils even during dry firing when they're glowing red.

Still using cheapo Magic Stick kit, was about £6:50 from UK fleabay a while back
Now seems to have vanished - probably slow iffy importing from China I guess ???

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10052146/9648155-authentic-xfkm-diy-tool-kit-for-e-cigarettes-6
or at a push just the 2.5mm coil winder will suffice for most MTL builds...
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3034/10028760/6296701-iwodevape-cw-25-2-5mm-wire-coiling-jig-tool

in the 6 in 1 kit, tweezers are crap, scissors are not great or ultra sharp etc...
but the gist of it allows you to build something fairly easily

as been said, you adjust what stuff you keep/lose as time goes on
and more importantly you will perfect YOUR technique/method as time goes on

I build on the mod, than use the Coil Master Tester
I don't bother with tweezers myself, lightly touching 2.5mm 27awg Kanthal from Stealthvape
7 wraps = about 1.1 Ohms just over 13w trim the wire with a cheapo pair of angled nail clippers
(I'm a cheapskate but they actually cut right up close on deck/posts)
If I was building thicker/more complex coils then yeah I'd get better cutters

Horses for courses & all that

Back
Top Bottom