What's new

Anybody bought a Detonator?

Go on, buy a Taifun.

See, now - it wasn't an either/or but a which one first situation. Also have you seen the GT4? Looks like the central observation tower in a fictional prison. So not only do I have to figure out which of the reasonably priced accessories I need to make it something I don't mind seeing with my eyes, but I also have to find a place with them in stock that will ship a greater than 2ml tank to the UK. I may have a solution to the last one but haven't asked yet so keep your eyes closed. Fingers peeled. Whatever. Something. You know.

IMAG1648.jpg IMAG1649.jpg IMAG1652.jpg

Three thousand words worth of pictures, as the saying goes. It's wrong though, isn't it?
Centre pic shows slightly raised 510 and only blemish on finish. More words later...stuff to do.

IMAG1653.jpg IMAG1654.jpg IMAG1656.jpg

So, the switch: It has some 2mm of movement before engaging, fires with a soft click. Won't be safe in your man bag - but, phew - device has an Off/On switch.
Feels a bit loose, but not distressingly so. Got used to it fairly quickly. Might have preferred a single piece of flexible metal but eh, we'll see how it lasts - it's not really under a lot of strain though so likely be fine unless the pin/hinge falls out.

If you've a leaky tank there is, as you can see above - a handy moat at the base of the wing collar, [that's what I'm calling it, anyway] for collecting any spillage.

Went for the stainless finish to cleverly avoid any issues with the black coating. It's a lightly brushed steel - an eggshell sheen resistant to fingerprints. There's a short scuff mark on the collar but all other marks rubbed off easily. The top edge underneath the collar is a bit rough in places - you might be able to tell in some pics. The 510 sits proud ever so slightly, under a mm. The screen has a black frame which will obscure text edges from some angles but the display is straight & centred. Layout is reminiscent of music hall posters or those black plastic boards with holes in that you stick white letters on. Not too bad really - seen the screen on those Boxer clones? Better than that.

Fires more consistently than the Double Barrel, feels very similar though. The TAC21 has a better button feel than both the DB and this.
There's a lightshow. You can turn it off. Today I've been through two and a half tanks and one 30T and half a 20700A at 99W. Nothing special, but not bad.
Tank is coiled at 0.10 according to YiHi & Evolv but reads at 0.09 and fires just fine. Printed on the battery door is a resistance range of 0.1-0.3. Hmm.

There's a setting called 'Breath' in the lights menu. If I set it to 10M after a short while [not ten minutes] it pulses slowly though all the colours, reminding you to disable it - although if you've forgotten where your Detonator is during a game of 'Murder In The Dark' it could well come in handy, so don't turn your nose up.

Here, lighting pics:

IMAG1658.jpg IMAG1659.jpg IMAG1660.jpg

As you can see it looks quite small next to Broken Ears the cat thing.
Any questions? I might ignore them, who can tell, but my intentions are good... ;)

Edit - Has about the same heft as the DB, battery cut-off at 3.37V - perhaps a little soon.

Last edited:
Hmm.

Given my hobby of playing hide and seek in abandoned mines, this Breath function could be a benefit and a hinderance. I think, on a scale of 1 to 10, this feature would rank as a solid “Joey Essex”. And I don’t even know who Joey Essex is.

View attachment 169438 View attachment 169439 View attachment 169441

So, the switch: It has some 2mm of movement before engaging, fires with a soft click. Won't be safe in your man bag - but, phew - device has an Off/On switch.
Feels a bit loose, but not distressingly so. Got used to it fairly quickly. Might have preferred a single piece of flexible metal but eh, we'll see how it lasts - it's not really under a lot of strain though so likely be fine unless the pin/hinge falls out.

If you've a leaky tank there is, as you can see above - a handy moat at the base of the wing collar, [that's what I'm calling it, anyway] for collecting any spillage.

Went for the stainless finish to cleverly avoid any issues with the black coating. It's a lightly brushed steel - an eggshell sheen resistant to fingerprints. There's a short scuff mark on the collar but all other marks rubbed off easily. The top edge underneath the collar is a bit rough in places - you might be able to tell in some pics. The 510 sits proud ever so slightly, under a mm. The screen has a black frame which will obscure text edges from some angles but the display is straight & centred. Layout is reminiscent of music hall posters or those black plastic boards with holes in that you stick white letters on. Not too bad really - seen the screen on those Boxer clones? Better than that.

Fires more consistently than the Double Barrel, feels very similar though. The TAC21 has a better button feel than both the DB and this.
There's a lightshow. You can turn it off. Today I've been through two and a half tanks and one 30T and half a 20700A at 99W. Nothing special, but not bad.
Tank is coiled at 0.10 according to YiHi & Evolv but reads at 0.09 and fires just fine. Printed on the battery door is a resistance range of 0.1-0.3. Hmm.

There's a setting called 'Breath' in the lights menu. If I set it to 10M after a short while [not ten minutes] it pulses slowly though all the colours, reminding you to disable it - although if you've forgotten where your Detonator is during a game of 'Murder In The Dark' it could well come in handy, so don't turn your nose up.

Here, lighting pics:

View attachment 169455 View attachment 169456 View attachment 169457

As you can see it looks quite small next to Broken Ears the cat thing.
Any questions? I might ignore them, who can tell, but my intentions are good... ;)

Edit - Has about the same heft as the DB, battery cut-off at 3.37V - perhaps a little soon.
Nah. Would drive my ocd bananas that simultaneous overhang and underhang. And the fire button is too gimmicky. I still want to read your views on every single item you may buy in the future! :18:

Back
Top Bottom