What's new

Any advice on an android phone?

Sharkymarky88

Postman
I’ve had enough of apple and I’m taking a plunge back into android phones in the near future and I’m looking for any helpful advice.

I’ve had apple phones for the last 9 years and I had a brief encounter with a galaxy s3 that ended with me smashing the living shit out of it with a hammer [emoji375] but they have come a long way since then. I’ve currently got a 7 plus and I’m looking for something of a similar size.

I’ve got quite a picky spec list that I’m after but if anyone can recommend a handset to suit I’m all ears.

I’d like:

amoled screen
90hz display
Snapdragon software
Android 10
Decent camera spec but not overly bothered about having a 20000000000000 map camera
And at least 128gb storage

I’ve got a budget of about £400 and have seen lots of mid range phones but can’t decide what to go for.......

The oneplus nord is top of my list at the minute.

Cheers,
Mark

Basically the Nord for specs. The Pixel 4a for (much, much better) camera, but sacrificing some of those specs.

If you want 90hz brand new at £400 I think the Nord may be your only option, unless you go for another Chinese manufacturer, but then you'll likely be running a not great skin over Android, won't get the same level of updates Etc.

I would go for the 4a without doubt, but then I want the best camera. Both are great phones, just depends what you want to sacrifice :)

Basically the Nord for specs. The Pixel 4a for (much, much better) camera, but sacrificing some of those specs.

If you want 90hz brand new at £400 I think the Nord may be your only option, unless you go for another Chinese manufacturer, but then you'll likely be running a not great skin over Android, won't get the same level of updates Etc.

I would go for the 4a without doubt, but then I want the best camera. Both are great phones, just depends what you want to sacrifice :)

Thanks for the reply pal, I did consider the pixel but I saw it side by side against the iPhone Se and it looked a similar size which is too small for me and my big sausage fingers lol

I love the styling on the 4a though and your right the camera looks incredible!

i was just about to say one plus 7T which is just over your buget at £469 https://www.oneplus.com/uk/7t

im still using a 3T and it sttil runs as fast as it did when i got it. was going to upgrade at christmas but thought why waste the money while mine is running fine.

edit

bloody heck, i must be out of touch as not heard of the nord and didnt know 8 was coming out soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply pal, I did consider the pixel but I saw it side by side against the iPhone Se and it looked a similar size which is too small for me and my big sausage fingers lol

I love the styling on the 4a though and your right the camera looks incredible!
Could wait for the pixel 5 then, which should be midrange, but likely £400+. Or get a Pixel 4 XL, but no 90hz.

Don't think you have any other options (at least not good ones) apart from the Nord tbh.

i was just about to say one plus 7T which is just over your buget at £469 https://www.oneplus.com/uk/7t

im still using a 3T and it sttil runs as fast as it did when i got it. was going to upgrade at christmas but thought why waste the money while mine is running fine.

edit

bloody heck, i must be out of touch as not heard of the nord and didnt know 8 was coming out soon.

Cheers mate, my brother has the 7t ( and before that the 3T ) and he says it’s the best thing since sliced bread..... the 8 pro is a serious bit of kit but wayyyyyy out of my price range [emoji3525]

I’m not after an all singing and dancing ultra spec phone but just something that is easy to use that will last a few years before having the plug pulled on it’s software.

Could wait for the pixel 5 then, which should be midrange, but likely £400+. Or get a Pixel 4 XL, but no 90hz.

Don't think you have any other options (at least not good ones) apart from the Nord tbh.

It’s looking like it’s gonna be the nord to be honest, the video you posted in your previous post was very helpful too.

I thought I’d ask the question though in case there was another option I haven’t explored.

Thanks again for the help though [emoji1303]

Oddly enough, I’ve been looking today at mid priced phones since my beloved huawei p10 plus is finally starting to get hot and show signs of battery fade.
For me it’s a tossup between the nord and the xiaomi note 10, but tbh the nord edges it. The google phone doesn’t get a look in as far as I’m concerned, too many mediocre reviews from the countries it’s already released in, apparently the camera is nowhere near as good as it should be for a start.

It's funny because i did the opposite switch to you @Sharkymarky88 and went from Android to iPhone. I have the 6S + and although it's an older phone it works great, got it off my sister so the bonus was getting it free.

Back
Top Bottom