What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

What am I doing wrong? Tanks...

Starburst

Initiate
I have a vivi nova, and I'm just not getting on with it. I have a permanent bad taste with it, and I'm getting close to binning it.

I also have a v-core 2 which I was given, and I am getting nasty tastes with that too.

Any ideas on solutions for these before I throw them? I love the v-core design and my only other tank is a u-dct and I'm down to my last cartomizer until the end of the month, so I'm desperate to get the other two running better as the boyfriend won't be impressed that I've wasted money!

Do the coils glow red when you fire the battery?

If so, tilt your nova so the liquid gets up to the silicone bung.

This should stop the glow and improve taste. Rinse and repeat every time the coils glow.

If that isn't the case, FIIK, but no doubt someone will :D

I have a vivi nova, and I'm just not getting on with it. I have a permanent bad taste with it, and I'm getting close to binning it.

I also have a v-core 2 which I was given, and I am getting nasty tastes with that too.

Any ideas on solutions for these before I throw them? I love the v-core design and my only other tank is a u-dct and I'm down to my last cartomizer until the end of the month, so I'm desperate to get the other two running better as the boyfriend won't be impressed that I've wasted money!

I didn't get on with vivi nova's at all. Bad taste but vapemonkey is right, make sure you've got enough liquid on the coil

I had the same problems with two vivi novas. It nearly drove me nuts, the taste was really foul. I tried washing them, changing the heads, different voltages and nothing worked.
Eventually I stripped them down completely, soaked them in hot soapy water overnight, ditched the supplied coils and wicks, rebuilt the heads and tried again. They work well now and the bad taste has gone.
Problem is, I just don't like them very much :)
Good luck!
J.

What brand of vivi nova's are you using?
The original ones come from Vision and will say "Vision ViVi Nova" on the box and there are copies which aren't as good.
I've used Vision ones for almost as long as I've been vaping and had few if any problems with them, though some people don't get on with Vision ones either.

The construction of a vivi nova is pretty simple and if you get permanent bad taste from them then something is wrong with it. Either enough juice isn't getting to the wicks for the power level you have set on your device, or you have a bad coil and on of the coil 'legs' is burning the little rubber bit at the bottom of the head part.

Have a look at PBusardos vivi nova rebuild video here:

skip to 15:25 in where he starts to rebuild the head, you can see the little rubber bit I'm talking about at about 16:40.

If the coil that's on the head is badly built then it can burn that little rubber part and you'll always get a bad taste, in which case you have a faulty head and will need to rebuild it to fix this (you might be able to fix it by simply taking the rubber plug out and sticking it back in again, but that's easier said than done)

The other problem that can lead to a bad taste is the coil is getting too hot for the amount of liquid that gets to it, which overheats and burns the liquid resulting in burnt taste.

Too high power. Unlikely, the standard heads can take quite high power settings before tasting bad, but check that you're not hitting the vivi nova with silly high power settings.

Build up of burnt on gunk. Empty the tank and take off the little silicon top piece and look down at the coil, if it looks black and cruddy, you need to clean it. (see the video above from 7:30ish to 11:30ish on how to clean your vivi tank, you want to repeat the 'dry burn' part of the cleaning like Phil does in the video until the coil and wick look mostly white again) After cleaning it and refilling it - give it 30 secs to wick up some juice and it should work fine.

Poor wicking/dry hits. If your vivi nova has short wicks then make sure you tilt it often between vaping to keep the wicks soaked in e-liquid. If you let the wick get too dry and fire it then some juice burns and you get a dry hit, but it starts building up a layer of burned gunk which gives you a bad taste which gets worse over time.

Basically - give it a good clean and look at the exposed part of the rubber plug at the bottom of the head when you do, if you see black bits on that rubber then cleaning it won't help and it's faulty. You don't need to replace the whole thing just the coil part at the top if it is faulty. If none of this helps drop me a PM and I'll see if I can get you sorted out without you wasting any money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks johnners. It's almost 'nice' to hear someone else had issues with the blasted tank!

VaperCaper, thanks SO much for all the advice. I will take your post, take it step by step and see if I can sort it.

The box doesn't say Vision - so must be a knock off. I was bought it, so I didn't notice until now. It does say vivi nova on the box & tank.

I'm using the 2.4 head, using on a 900 mah battery. But it also gives off the same foul taste on a 600 mah battery

I will strip it down and have a look at rebuilding it. Thanks again x

Do the coils glow red when you fire the battery?

If so, tilt your nova so the liquid gets up to the silicone bung.

This should stop the glow and improve taste. Rinse and repeat every time the coils glow.

If that isn't the case, FIIK, but no doubt someone will :D

Sorry, missed this. Not sure, I will strip out all the old juice, drop another head in it and see. I'm sure I shall report back!

The box doesn't say Vision - so must be a knock off. I was bought it, so I didn't notice until now. It does say vivi nova on the box & tank.

I'm using the 2.4 head, using on a 900 mah battery.

If you're using a fixed voltage 900mah battery there is no way in hell you ought to be getting a bad burnt kind of taste.

It sounds like you have a copy, that has a faulty head tbh.

Best of luck fixing it.

It does sound like it from what you have very kindly written up for me. I shall try and find the time this weekend to take it apart and see what if I can find what the issue is.

It's tasting like very strong plastic/burning. It's hard to describe, as I've never really tasted anything like it before.

I am having the same problem with my mini nova. Just replaced my last head with a 2.8ohm from vapeescape. Filled it with grizwalds gy4. Tasted ok for a while but then the burnt taste comes. If I set the voltage over 4v, it starts to taste bad. Just had a look at the last head I had and there are burns in the rubber at the bottom. Last head was 1.8ohms. I usually vape 1.8ohms at 3.9 but had to keep it at 3.3v to keep the burnt taste away. Will get some coil and wick this weekend and try to do my own coil to see if that sorts the problem out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom