What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Wattage goes down when the battery is almost empty?

Hi.
when 3/4 is reached, mod turns down the wattage to 53w itself? I mean, visually, shown on display.
or is that you feel like the power, despite it shows 62w, feels like 53w?

Mod should not decrease power by itself; I´ve never seen that happening and AFAIK its not a chipset protection either.

Some mods tend to loose some output efficiency as batts die... quite normal, specially with not very high amps batts.

Sony 30Q? must be Samsungs.

But it takes down watts on itself, from 60 to 50w for example, or its a feeling you note when taking a puff?

This is probably wrong but don’t regulated mods draw more amps when batteries are low? Could it be a protection to ensure that it’s not pulling too much from the battery?

No you are right @onion ..... @OzoreXS SXK Zero Mini's do this (I have 3 and they all do it) if they didn't do it they would just refuse to fire, which is guess is what most mods do. When you reach the point that the mod won't fire, you can turn it down 4 or 5 watts and carry on vaping for a while too. But yeah, it decreases the power automatically and displays on screen what wattage it's allowing you to have.

.. and yeah, @zouzounaki 30Q's are a 45w per cell battery really, which is why it's doing what it's doing imo.

“At higher current levels the voltage sag and power loss in the cell are huge. Do not exceed 20A.”

am i right to think that as the battery voltage drops the amps drawn increases?

I don't know why 3 would do it and 3 wouldn't though.. that doesn't make any sense.

I don't know why 3 would do it and 3 wouldn't though.. that doesn't make any sense.

maybe some degree of variation in the make up of the batteries? maybe the three that don’t do it are the worse offenders and just cutting out with “battery low” while the other three are struggling on at dropped power?

edit: to be more precise, it might only be a very slight variation between two of the same battery that would cause this, if you get what i mean.

maybe some degree of variation in the make up of the batteries? maybe the three that don’t do it are the worse offenders and just cutting out with “battery low” while the other three are struggling on at dropped power?

yeah that could be it... maybe if some are newer. The ones that are doing it could be the 'better' ones, and like you say the others are past their best and just give up.

I have a couple of 30Qs that do a similar thing (I think). I use them in a Pico at 14-20w. The battery seems to decrease gradually until it’s around 70%. After that the drop is fast - it goes from around 70% to flashing ‘weak battery’ at me very quickly. The other batteries I have decrease gradually all the way down to ‘weak battery’. I find it a bit irritating and I wondered why they’d do that, but didn’t bother too much because I still get a day’s vaping from them. I do need to get some new batteries soonish.

I have a couple of 30Qs that do a similar thing (I think). I use them in a Pico at 14-20w. The battery seems to decrease gradually until it’s around 70%. After that the drop is fast - it goes from around 70% to flashing ‘weak battery’ at me very quickly. The other batteries I have decrease gradually all the way down to ‘weak battery’. I find it a bit irritating and I wondered why they’d do that, but didn’t bother too much because I still get a day’s vaping from them. I do need to get some new batteries soonish.

It's pretty normal for batteries to hang around 3.8 - 3.6v for a long time and drop very quickly after that, the % displayed can't really be trusted and different batteries will show different percentages while they are at different voltages. My guess would be that when it shows 70% the reality is that it's nowhere near 70% ... we need mods to show the actual voltage of the battery really, then we'd have a much more accurate idea of what was going on.

i think this might be to do with the bit from the mooch article i posted above.

just now i’ve only been using the two internal battery elfin mods i got from @Simon G years ago.

but, a wee while ago, when i had a pico squeeze and a zeta aio mostly in rotation, and usually two 30Qs and an LG MJ1, i noticed that i would get very roughly the same sort of battery life out of both of them in the squeeze, but the MJ1 would last noticeably longer in the zeta. the 30Qs would really deplete very quickly in the regulated device when the battery was a bit more than half drained.

i think in hindsight this must be because the zeta was drawing more amps as the battery voltage dropped, and the 30Qs struggled with this.

Back
Top Bottom