What's new

Was scared of batteries and high power mods. This thread changed it all.

Do you own the smok alien yourself?

• Total voters
first one red 2 weeks old and no blemishes and used every day.
second blue a week old and same. defo no paint issues.

I have had my smok for 5 days and the paint is already chipping away!!! anyone else had this issue cause its driving me nuts!

Mine started chipping on the bottom after a couple of days so I got rid,got the minikin v2 that seems to be holding up fine

I got the smok alien and the batteries now. Had about 50 puffs of it and all i can say is F**KING WOW!!! I have only had the ziggibox from before, so this is my second mod, but holy mother of #!%& it is absolutely AMAZING. The flavours are just mind blowing! It really really drinks juice like a bucket with no bottom though, but man its worth it. Im not going to make this into a big ass review, I just wanted to post a quick update after finally trying it. I am so happy with it! And for the price I had to pay its absolutely GOLD!! Super stoked about it! I cant believe I have ever smoked cigarettes lol!

Thank you everyone that has been supportive and given me good information and helped me with all I was wondering. Without the support from this forum I would still be to "scared" to get into these things as there is a lot of horror stories out there that can make someone with no knowledge not want to get anything like this! Thanks all!

I got the smok alien and the batteries now. Had about 50 puffs of it and all i can say is F**KING WOW!!! I have only had the ziggibox from before, so this is my second mod, but holy mother of #!%& it is absolutely AMAZING. The flavours are just mind blowing! It really really drinks juice like a bucket with no bottom though, but man its worth it. Im not going to make this into a big ass review, I just wanted to post a quick update after finally trying it. I am so happy with it! And for the price I had to pay its absolutely GOLD!! Super stoked about it! I cant believe I have ever smoked cigarettes lol!

Thank you everyone that has been supportive and given me good information and helped me with all I was wondering. Without the support from this forum I would still be to "scared" to get into these things as there is a lot of horror stories out there that can make someone with no knowledge not want to get anything like this! Thanks all!

Glad to see you took the plunge and are lovin' it! :) I was 'scared' of getting a mod with external batteries too - the idea of charging them safely and all that business with amperes, wattage and volts...OH MY!! ;) As well as doing a lot of reading here I also enlisted the advice of a very wise ape here to help me get all the stuff I might need for the mod I had chosen (hi-5's @Arctic_Wolf can't thank you enough x ) thanks to the borrowed smarts I'm not scared of my batteries now lol...I am scared of my battery charger though...those springloaded bits on the XTAR VC4 are freaking terrifying!! I even rewrapped my first set of batteries today as one got roughed up by the aforementioned terrifying XTAR charging battery trap :)
I'd never have taken the plunge either if it weren't for the help I've had here - this forum is pure gold for those who are looking to learn :yahoo:

I couldn't agree more mate, this forum is top shelf :) yea it was scary business all this ohm amp volt stuff hehe.. I'm super careful with putting the batteries on the charger as mine too is spring loaded and this springs are strong like!! If they had this charger and a huge supply of 18650 batteries in medieval times they could breach walls!
Man I have been so confused, and still am abit confused with what all this volt and amp stuff actually means. That the batteries are 3.7 volt and then 4.7 when fully charged etc.. and then when I vape on 55w the display shows 12 amps and 5 volts but that's after button is released. When I hold the button it's rapid up and down between 4.000-5.000 volt.. does that mean I'm putting too much demand on the battery or what? I'm still blank on a few on these things lol. Only reason I'm not really worried is because I'm pretty sure I'm not over demanding the battery at 11-12 amp, 55 watts on 0.4 ohms.. must just be that i don't understand what these volts actually means hahaha..

Glad you're sorted and happy. :D

If it helps, I've had the four-slot version of the Nitecore i2 charger you bought running every day for over a year and I'm still chuffed with it - it's a good charger and will also do your household AA and AAA batteries (just make sure to read the instructions).

its good to be cautious.
all these reports youve heard about exploding batteries and all that malarky are normally down to user error and nothing to do with the mod at all. the many that have been reported are people putting spare batteries in their pocket with keys and coins and as soon as a high power battery shorts it vents and explodes. a simple plastic carry box which a lot of suppliers give you for free is all thats needed.

ive now got 2 alien mods, a h priv 220w, xucube ultra 220w, rx200 and many more and i dont go above 60watts.
i bought the tfv8 and limitless xl which coils are rated at 215w and i dont like them much so both reboxed and ready to sell.

so youve taken the right decission on getting what you think will suite you best.

shinyitis sure is a bugger :D

View attachment 109996

What a selection dude [emoji6]

I couldn't agree more mate, this forum is top shelf :) yea it was scary business all this ohm amp volt stuff hehe.. I'm super careful with putting the batteries on the charger as mine too is spring loaded and this springs are strong like!! If they had this charger and a huge supply of 18650 batteries in medieval times they could breach walls!
Man I have been so confused, and still am abit confused with what all this volt and amp stuff actually means. That the batteries are 3.7 volt and then 4.7 when fully charged etc.. and then when I vape on 55w the display shows 12 amps and 5 volts but that's after button is released. When I hold the button it's rapid up and down between 4.000-5.000 volt.. does that mean I'm putting too much demand on the battery or what? I'm still blank on a few on these things lol. Only reason I'm not really worried is because I'm pretty sure I'm not over demanding the battery at 11-12 amp, 55 watts on 0.4 ohms.. must just be that i don't understand what these volts actually means hahaha..

Hi charty, just thought I would give you a little bit of peace of mind. You are going for the smok alien then you will be going for a regulated mod and thus will automatically come with all kinds of protecting safety features with it.
With batteries the thing to remember is don't push your amps, there is a app out for the iPhone (called ohms law) and this can help you finger things out like that but at any point you doing something wrong with that mod the safety features will pick it up and the mod will not fire.
Best thing to aim for is go for higher amps just encase you get really into it and want to build a really low ohm coil etc, meaning 0.05 for an example, this would be pushing you mod to the limit and then you know your batteries are capable of covering it.
Fogstar are a good vendor as said by fellow ape and believe the VTC5A to be a good battery for you as there would be no way pushing that cell.
Remember:
Regulated safe devices
Mech mods, no protection and thus I would stay clear as then you need to worry about batteries.
Just treat them well and they treat you well.
Hope this helps, can give more information if you want more details etc

Hello guys,

Im new to this forum and this is my first post, so hello everyone :D

I was at my local vape shop today and almost cried when the smok alien was out of stock. I have been vaping for a couple of weeks and started with the ziggibox just to get something cheap to get me started. After reading and looking at videos, trying to learn abit of these more advanced mods, I have really really fell in love with the smok alien! Mostly because of the possibility for high wattage, and the ultra sexy display!

I have decided to order it from ukecigstore today, but I dont want to only order the mod. Any tips about what tanks & coils etc I should order in my initial order would be appreciated. Also, would the samsung 25r's be good enough starter batteries for me? Im almost terrified because of all the stuff out there about the need to be cautious with what batteries you put in and what settings you use on your vape with different batteries. ANY input at all is appreciated :)

Thank you very much in advance guys :)

EDIT:

I did not order it.. I have changed the title of this thread too. I am too worried about its capabilities and which batteries too pick. In all honesty I am abit scared of buying a device with is strong enough to put more demand on batteries than they can handle! I am in a pickle of what to do here. Might get the snowwolf mini tomorrow from my local shop

Hello! :)

I do not own the SMOK alien myself, but do have quite a large collection, and have the H-Priv from SMOK.

The alien is a very nice looking device, but the wattage is a bit high for a dual 18650 device, 200W is a lot to ask let alone 220W.

How high would you want to go wattage wise? The Samsung 25R is a fantastic battery, and would be a great starter battery for you, but the aliens output wattage is very optimistic for a dual 18650 device.

The way to calculate with a regulated mod does not involve resistance, it is dependant on wattage and input voltage.

You calculate at the lowest input voltage on a regulated mod, so if the mod takes the batteries down to 3.1V each 6.2V in the aliens case.

200/6.2=32.25A! So this is fairly higher than the 25R's 20A limit. Around 120W is really the highest without going over a batteries CDR, assuming 20A batteries. This is not including efficiency.

But, this is still a huge amount of power, and likely a lot more than you will ever want! A lot of people do take batteries above their CDR, but for maximum safety it is best not too.
If you really want to go for that high power, a mod with a triple 18650 setup or Li-po may be better for you, or you could use some lower capacity batteries with a higher amp rating.

EDIT: I should add, it being a regulated mod is very safe, and this is not to put you off in any way at all, the alien will very likely be perfect for your needs and only the most demanding user would need 200+ watts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom