What's new

Was scared of batteries and high power mods. This thread changed it all.

Do you own the smok alien yourself?

• Total voters
Nah man, reason I was scared was because I knew NOTHING. Now I understand more about what settings will put different demands on the batteries etc, I also know where to get batteries that are tested and legit etc. Just need to do the proper research, speak to educated people and as soon as you the basic knowledge is in place, and a few trusted, and a few trusted suppliers is on your list, fears goes away. Still going to be very cautious, but at least im not scared of it anymore haha :P

But its good to be scared. People might look at these things as safe just because they are sold in retail shops and alot of people take safety for granted. Just because a device is made, and it has certain functions, it does not mean one can use these functions in any way you want. And its not "just batteries" as many might think of it as. They are capable of doing some serious damage like, haha :)

Nah man, reason I was scared was because I knew NOTHING. Now I understand more about what settings will put different demands on the batteries etc, I also know where to get batteries that are tested and legit etc. Just need to do the proper research, speak to educated people and as soon as you the basic knowledge is in place, and a few trusted, and a few trusted suppliers is on your list, fears goes away. Still going to be very cautious, but at least im not scared of it anymore haha :P

But its good to be scared. People might look at these things as safe just because they are sold in retail shops and alot of people take safety for granted. Just because a device is made, and it has certain functions, it does not mean one can use these functions in any way you want. And its not "just batteries" as many might think of it as. They are capable of doing some serious damage like, haha :)

Late to the party, but as a cautious general rule of thumb:

Amp limit x number of cells x 3 = max safe wattage

This is a cautious estimate, you can (and people do) push batteries harder than that, but if you stick to that rule, you know you are safe.

e.g. for a pair of 20A rated cells, you can go up to 120W without having to worry about anything.

Late to the party, but as a cautious general rule of thumb:

Amp limit x number of cells x 3 = max safe wattage

This is a cautious estimate, you can (and people do) push batteries harder than that, but if you stick to that rule, you know you are safe.

e.g. for a pair of 20A rated cells, you can go up to 120W without having to worry about anything.

Such an easy way to gauge it! Dan, that's genius.

Man is this legit? If so this is absolutely brilliant :D thanks a million for this tips!

Wee update: The Smok Alien is on its way from UKecigstore and batteries are on their way from @Ben fogstar :D Two pairs of Sony VTC5A! Cant wait to get this up and running. The charger I have chosen was from the local shop, nitecore i2. I got my batteries from my local vape shop refunded, and AFTER that happened I noticed that Fogstar sells a pretty cool looking charger. Now I kinda want to go and return the charger and order one from fogstar as well, but I really wanna have a charger available when my batteries and smok alien arrives. So I guess ill just order one from Ben on a later occasion and keep the nitecore i2. I can always sell the charger in a week or three when i decide to order the one from fogstar :)

Last edited:
I bought a pair of LG HG2's from fogstar and also a battery box (not realising they supply one with a purchase lol). Will definatly be ordering from them again in the near future.
Delivery was quick and the batteries are bang on!! Lasted from Saturday morning up until around 8 tonight.
You won't be disappointed with the alien, I love mine even if I'm going through liquid like it's going out of fashion.

Sounds sweet mate! Im really looking forward to getting started. Also going to make my own liquid in the very near future so going trough it is no problem :D I like this stuff so much lol

I have had my smok for 5 days and the paint is already chipping away!!! anyone else had this issue cause its driving me nuts!

I have had my smok for 5 days and the paint is already chipping away!!! anyone else had this issue cause its driving me nuts!
Had mine for a week and it's been fine paint wise.
Where is yours chipping?

Back
Top Bottom