What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Was scared of batteries and high power mods. This thread changed it all.

Do you own the smok alien yourself?

• Total voters
You won't get to 200watts on two of those that's assuming your coil could take that heat also.
Assume you'll get 18A (always be pessimistic) and base worst case of batteries down to 3.2V (standard cut off).
200W you would need over 30A without pulsing and possibly overheating the batteries.
There are no 18650s that are rated for continuous discharge of more than 30A.
You could use 30A batteries but you're really pushing them.
With two of the batteries you mention (rated at 20A continuous) you could safely go up to 120W and some would say maybe 140?
You probably won't like it though and if you're after "clouds" you don't need to use high wattage.
For 200W you need a lipo battery pack or at least three high amp batteries.

Read what the battery guru Mooch says: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...culating_battery_current_for_a_regulated_mod/

So it is consider continous discharge as long as the device is not pulsating? I actually thought it was not considered continous discharge as I am only holding the button for a few seconds.

I am really happy to hear that I can use it up to 120W (i wouldnt go higher anyway) with the two batteries i mentioned (25r and vtc4).. I have been frying my brain since mid day not even getting away from my screen reading about this stuff.
You are saying that if i am after clouds (which I am, i even prioritize it over flavour, as long as the flavour is at least enough to identify) I dont need high wattage. I have been under the impression that higher wattage is more clouds.

So if i were to buy this alien thingy after all, which i really want to, just need to get rid of my "fears", i can happily vape it at 60-70-80-90 and get major clouds from it, and the two mentioned batteries would not be under pressure that they cannot handle? If this is the case I think I have made up my mind here. Thank you for the post from Mooch, I will read it before I go to bed or tomorrow morning. I know he has valuable information, sometimes I just struggle to understand what I am reading and I am always left with doubt when I find information on my own. I like to engage in conversation with people to learn, as I learn better this way since I can get answers on my own specific questions and not get my information based on something someone else asked. Im a weirdo that way hahaha :D

What i think is good about smok alien is that it shows the stats live when being used. So if i put it at too many watts, and the amp usage is too high, I can see it on the display and go "oh shit" and then turn the wattage down.

"Assume you'll get 18A (always be pessimistic) and base worst case of batteries down to 3.2V (standard cut off)." What do you actually mean by this? Do you mean assume I get 18A from a 20A battery? Like be pessimistic in that way? and that a 4V battery only deliveres 3.2V for example? What do you mean standard cut off? Like the battery is empty if there is less than 3.2V charged in it? I am sorry if I am asking dumb questions but i am really not that educated on these kinds of things :P

Thank you SO much for taking your time to answer to my thread, I appreciate this more than you think :)

The continuous discharge ratings given by people like Mooch are something along the lines of full power for 3 or 5 seconds, rest for 20 seconds.
These ratings are the safest ratings to use but even Mooch will give a second, higher, rating that he calls max vaping amps which should never be exceeded.
It's not only about overheating your batteries or possible venting scenarios it's also about stressing batteries which will drastically shorten their lives.
Pulsing systems on mods allow higher wattages but people who've tried report that it's very noticeable and not a good vape.

All mods will cut off when battery voltage drops to a certain point, usually around 3.2V and a lot of vapers will swap out batteries long before then to look after batteries and ensure a clean power in the vape.
In an ideal world a 20A battery will provide that but the circuit boards will lose some of that so good idea to allow around 10% inefficiency.

As I said you probably wouldn't enjoy above 150W so you're not missing out. To get "clouds" as opposed to flavour (difficult if not impossible to get both) you need a good coil and tank with good airflow and higher VG content in your juice.
Highest wattage I've vaped at is 140W which was just hot and no flavour. YMMV.

here's another link which explains better than I have: http://www.jororoco.com/vape-tech-notes/regulated101

The good thing about the Alien mod is that it displays the Amps you are drawing from the battery's on the display. So if you know your battery limits then just keep an eye on your display and your good to go.

I have an Alien running LG He4's & Hg2's (married pairs) and it's fine.

Thanks @mannikon, I have a few of the charts from Mooch and they are really a piece of valuable information! I feel alot safer about using the smok alien now, and I understand alot more. I will go a head and order it tomorrow when I wake up and get some batteries from my local vape shop. They have the 25r and the vtc4 so I might get a pair of each. They also sell the nitecore charger. (i2) which I have heard is decent enough, so i will grab one of them too. So as long as my display shows that I am not using more than the amp mooch says the batteries have im good right?

@moomin472 Where do you get your batteries? Im looking for a trusted supplier in the UK. How long does your batteries usually last you? :)

Edit: Also, what wattage are you vaping at with those batteries?

Edit 2: Also, does anybody have any tank recommendations for it? I think I might just go with the baby beast that comes with it to begin with, as the regular sized tfv8 or whatever its called seems to have coils requiring very high wattage to perform optimaly and thats when i start getting worried about the batteries again LOL

@Carty I run all sorts on there, TFV8, Velocity RDA & currently a Aromamizer Supreme. I mainly build my own coils so can aim for the right resistance for a given setup.

Currently pushing it though, I'm running duel parallel coils made up of Ni80 Clapton wrapped with SS316L 24g coming in at 0.16 ohms at between 90w and 100w. I'm using the He4's on this and they are doing fine at about 23 amps. I wouldn't push them any harder. This setup uses a lot of power so battery life isn't that impressive but on a more reserved build you can easily get a full day.

I got mine from my local B&M but that was the expensive choice. I have never used fogstar for batteries but will be in the future, the guys on here know their stuff and say he's to be trusted.

Fog star batteries are ace. Just taken delivery of a pair of vtc5a's from there. Fast shipping and sent in a battery box for safety.

Another vote for Fogstar batteries, had 12 off him now all genuine and working fine. excellent service as well with quick delivery.

Thanks @mannikon, I have a few of the charts from Mooch and they are really a piece of valuable information! I feel alot safer about using the smok alien now, and I understand alot more. I will go a head and order it tomorrow when I wake up and get some batteries from my local vape shop. They have the 25r and the vtc4 so I might get a pair of each. They also sell the nitecore charger. (i2) which I have heard is decent enough, so i will grab one of them too. So as long as my display shows that I am not using more than the amp mooch says the batteries have im good right?

@moomin472 Where do you get your batteries? Im looking for a trusted supplier in the UK. How long does your batteries usually last you? :)

Edit: Also, what wattage are you vaping at with those batteries?

Edit 2: Also, does anybody have any tank recommendations for it? I think I might just go with the baby beast that comes with it to begin with, as the regular sized tfv8 or whatever its called seems to have coils requiring very high wattage to perform optimaly and thats when i start getting worried about the batteries again LOL

Baby Beast kit should be fine - I have one to try out but not used yet but have read good reports.
As you're starting out, I'd stick with something like that tank for now - at a later stage you might want to experiment with RTAs and RDAs but plenty of time for that and you may never want or need to.

Thanks everyone for responses.. I understand alot more now and feel more comfortable. Im going to order the Smok Alien today. Will start off with some 25r and vtc4 batteries as they are easiest for me to get my hands on the quickest, together with the nitecore i2 charger from my local shop. Need to start somewhere. Then I will look more into what batteries people say are the longest lasting at the settings I want to use, as soon as I know what that will be :) At least now I feel I know what I need to know before pushing the firing button lol. Decided to just go with the baby tank that comes with it and not order the original tfv8 as I intented to at first. Of course they are out of stock on the coils I wanted to buy extra off tho, lol.. Sure my local shop stocks these coils anyway, as they do sell the smok alien too. Thank you everyone, @mannikon @Car147 @eightbitraptor @moomin472 @MrDJ @denzil and @K3NSH1R0 you have all been helpful!! :) I will post an update here when I have received and tried my smok alien. Will be within next weekend depending on how long the delivery takes across the water :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom