What's new

VH Genesis Atomizer

jrob3rts

Achiever
Hi All,
I am after some advice. I got a VG Genesis Atomizer today and gracefully put it together.

Steps were.
Cut #400 mesh into 3mm x 4.2mm square
Oxidise via hob burner. Test on ohmmeter and continue another time until no conductivity read.
Roll around the Allen Key
When rolled quite tight, reheat over hob burner
Add juice, burn off (ignite with lighter)
Reheat over hob burner
Add juice, burn off (as above)
Insert into wick hole (slightly tight)
Trim wick down a bit so it's not higher than he centre post.
Lock wire into ground screw (chassis)
Wrap 4 times and secure around central thread.
Test resistance (from memory about 1.8ohm)
Drip juice onto wick mesh
Ignite

Hot spot found at the top between wick and centre thread (positive). I assume a hot spot is the part which glows red / white where as the rest doesn't glow?

Adjust wires, seems to clear up. Retest, fill and wait 1-2 mins to wet mesh wick. Ignite, loads of vapour.

Put top on. Run at 3.3v, not much vapour. Up to 3.7v, loads of vapour for a couple of draws then very little.

Take top of, and there is a got spot again.

So, hope that didn't bore you but trying to show what's been done.

I remake a wick and rewired with a similar outcome, this time with 5 winds.

The air hole does line up with the wick.

So,

1. Am I right in thinking a hot spot is a point which glows bright, and maybe more bright than the rest?
2. Is there a change my wick is rolled too tightly and therefore not drawing up enough liquid?
3. Is there anything I am doing which is wrong?
4. The ego style battery doesn't always want to fire, it flashes. Is there a low ohm cut off on some batteries?
5. Does the liquid / juice help to remove hot spots? As in, will a well built and wetted wick generally burn better with fewer chances of a hot spot?
6. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

James

I'm certainly no expert as I've only made one wick but I've recoiled it 3 times now. Yes a hot spot is where it glows red in one place, I find just moving the coils about until they all light up the same works fine. It takes a few minutes of fiddling to get it consistently glowing without any hot spots. Personally I don't wrap my coil around anything but there are 2 trains of thought on this. One is not to wrap around anything making an almost solid wick, the other is to wrap it around a pin or a paperclip so maybe the Allen key is too thick? I'm sure the pros will be along to sort you out. As I said I've only made one wick and I just take it out every few days and burn it off before doing a fresh coil.

Youll want to make sure a ss mesh wick is really oxodized like kick its ass a hundred times!

You can drip juice on the wick to help get it flowing.

Top coil hot spots are a bitch. Make sure the distance between wick and centre pin isnt very far.

If all else fails..wrap a wee bit of rizzla around the wick then coil over it. That sometimes helps.

Also make sure there are no lil kinks in your wire that can eff up a coil

I'm certainly no expert as I've only made one wick but I've recoiled it 3 times now. Yes a hot spot is where it glows red in one place, I find just moving the coils about until they all light up the same works fine. It takes a few minutes of fiddling to get it consistently glowing without any hot spots. Personally I don't wrap my coil around anything but there are 2 trains of thought on this. One is not to wrap around anything making an almost solid wick, the other is to wrap it around a pin or a paperclip so maybe the Allen key is too thick? I'm sure the pros will be along to sort you out. As I said I've only made one wick and I just take it out every few days and burn it off before doing a fresh coil.

Cheers. So, may seem a silly question but it seems relevant here.
How often should you look to re mesh?
How do you know when to recoil?
I wrap the mesh around the Allen key. - sorry I wasn't clear in my post.
James

Youll want to make sure a ss mesh wick is really oxodized like kick its ass a hundred times!

You can drip juice on the wick to help get it flowing.

Top coil hot spots are a bitch. Make sure the distance between wick and centre pin isnt very far.

If all else fails..wrap a wee bit of rizzla around the wick then coil over it. That sometimes helps.

Also make sure there are no lil kinks in your wire that can eff up a coil

Ok. So maybe it's not oxidising fully. This kind of co-incides with Vapour Train's comment too.

I'll burn the mesh big time.

Thanks for the tip on dripping to assist with flow.

How much is a "wee" bit and do you expect the rizla to burn away?

No kinks - Check.

Thanks again.

Cheers. So, may seem a silly question but it seems relevant here.
How often should you look to re mesh?
How do you know when to recoil?
I wrap the mesh around the Allen key. - sorry I wasn't clear in my post.
James
That was me being a div! I meant mesh not coil. I really should post just as I'm dosing off :D I stick a new coil on the wick when it starts to feel like its not right (slight iccky taste, not quite the vapour it should be, loads of crud around the coil). As for how long the wick lasts, I've yet to find out. A good burn on the hob and it seems to come back like new.

Cheers all,
Will look to burn the wick big time today.
James

Last edited:
James ... some people seem to find genesis a synch .. some not so much ..

I fall into the later category ...

there IS a nice cheat tho, you can get some silica wick like material (out of some cartomizers or off ebay) and you put this around the mesh .. you then coil on top of that ... it instantly solves everything in the world.

famine, genocide, avian flu .. AND you get the same great flavour.

James ... some people seem to find genesis a synch .. some not so much ..

I fall into the later category ...

there IS a nice cheat tho, you can get some silica wick like material (out of some cartomizers or off ebay) and you put this around the mesh .. you then coil on top of that ... it instantly solves everything in the world.

famine, genocide, avian flu .. AND you get the same great flavour.

Lol, It really must be good if it does all that. So, do you wrap the mesh around the silica wick or the wick around the mesh?
I'm going to try and master this but if I keep failing then I will try your suggestion.
Cheers
James

YOu wrap the silica around the mesh .. then coil on the top of it ..
only got my iphone here .. so not sure what quality this pic will be :

photo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom