Vape Superstore
What's new

Understanding the Mech thing.

A fair enough comment, would you care to explain in your eyes what criteria one needs to meet before becoming an experienced vapour?

I think all Whit meant really was that after a while of experiencing the difference between various coils, resistances and materials used and the PG and VG type juices to how they affect this you have a bit more of an understanding of the main area's of vaping.

A mech is a battery power source in it's purest form so the electronics found in other devices do not come into play to 'fine tune' your vape experience whereas your use of materials does.

Also things like knowing about lithium batteries risks, charging etc all help

Royal Flush Vape
Something like a pro tank on a mech can look rather good I think

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 28
Vape Green
pt2.jpg
ProTank2 on my Sig 8w

h5atty.jpg

H5 atty on the same mod

Not a bad look but they both look better on a much slimmer device than this

Tbh @u8myufo you've picked at every reply I've made in this thread, I've got nothing further to say :)

Lighten up, I would hardly say I have picked on you or anybody else come to that. Nobody forced you to reply to this thread, and the fact that you did reply was appreciated, if you put a reply then expect another question, that after all is what these forums are about? I have nearly 14,000 posts against me on a photography forum, ok I admit some of it is talking complete crap like we all do, but quite a lot of those posts are helping any newcomer to the best of my knowleadge, sure glad I do not have your attitude towards people asking me questions.

Last edited:
Vape Superstore
to give you an idea ive just rebuilt my RSST because i had some new juice arrive ( rhubarb and custard, redbull and some irn bru ) and wanted to try the Rhubarb and custard on mech mech with RSST.
instead of the first build which i used .28 kanthal ive done this one with .32 Ribbon kanthal and have a rather nice 1.2ohms ( compared to the 2.1 i had before ). the amount of vape im getting is quite amazing and lots of flavour too. ( and thats while suffering from the dreaded manflu which has killed my tastebuds at moment! )
quick vid just showing the coil in action

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lnriipv7r13jyta/Mf-VY1w923[/video]

Thanks for going to the trouble elvedhel, so I would be right in thinking the biggest contributing factor of you trying to achieve a better vape, is in fact lowering the resistance of the coil, which at 1.2 is much lower than you would want to use on a VV/VW? And another one for you :D if after doing all that you were still not completely happy for one reason or the other, would you then look at your liquid to try and improve things or a case of back to the drawing board regards to coil?

Last edited:
AcmeFog
i guess thats just one way of doing it. its still all new to me so im just experimenting and found its a massive improvement over basic ego and ce4. not tried micro coils, wicks, dripping atto's or the myriad of other options out there.. just doing what i can with the gear i have and it seems to be working for me. we all have differnt taste buds so what one person may find is a nice taste with good throat hit another may find tasteless and harsh. and that is where mech and coil building gives you the advantage over an out of the box solution in that you can modify and build until you find something right for you.

Any ecig is designed to turn liquid into vapour. Just about every design of atomiser uses a reservoir of liquid from which a wick draws up a certain amount of liquid which it puts in contact with a coil. The coil gets heated and vapour is produced.

Everyone has different tastes and that includes how strong you want your vape to taste, how much throat hit you'd like, how much nicotine buzz you'd like and how much vapour you'd like to produce and also how the vape 'feels'

For the vast majority of people an eGo or a vamo or a n other regulated mod with an evod or a Protank or a vivinova or a cartomiser will provide a decent vape.

Aside from the advantages listed in the first couple of replies in the thread a well setup mech mod with a suitably coiled atomiser on it will give a 'better vape' than a regulated mod will.

A Mech mod is literally a battery a connection to screw in an atomiser, a battery holding thing (usually a tube) and a switch. The higher quality ,mechs have higher quality workmanship, higher quality of materials, higher quality of quality control and branding.

A mech will give a 'smooth' feeling vape. One of the Chinese regulated devices will give you a 'pulsed' vape. In a regulated mod it's using Pulse width modulation somewhere in it which is where it fires the atomiser at 6v for some fraction of the time the button is pressed, and how long is part of the 'off cycle' and how long is part of the 'on cycle' depends on what you've set it to.

A ProVari uses PWM but does it better than a Vamo, so a ProVari vape feels smooth despite the fact that it's also pulsing.

In order to get the best out of a mech mod you need to know what it is that you want. More/less vapour? more/less flavour? more/less throat hit etc etc and you also need to know which of the variables you need to tweak to get there.

If you know how to improve this on a mech you can do the same on a regulated mod almost as well. You have a easier time of things on a mech mod as the mod doesn't have limitations on current imposed by any circuitry/wiring in it. At the same time it doesn't have any safety features in it so you need to know what you're doing and why.

My preferred vape is a Kayfun on a v3 ZMax. I have a couple of mechs but I prefer the vape I get from the v3 and I like being able to tweak it a little at different times of the day (more power in the mornings, little less in the evenings) and it turns out I quite like the 'rattlesnake' sound you get on a Zmax.

Premier Ecigs
i guess thats just one way of doing it. its still all new to me so im just experimenting and found its a massive improvement over basic ego and ce4. not tried micro coils, wicks, dripping atto's or the myriad of other options out there.. just doing what i can with the gear i have and it seems to be working for me. we all have differnt taste buds so what one person may find is a nice taste with good throat hit another may find tasteless and harsh. and that is where mech and coil building gives you the advantage over an out of the box solution in that you can modify and build until you find something right for you.

Thanks elvedhel and I totaly agree with what you say there. Like I say, having built coils and used drippers I have already seen and tasted the advantages over the first evod misers that now sit dorment on the shelf :grin2:

Any ecig is designed to turn liquid into vapour. Just about every design of atomiser uses a reservoir of liquid from which a wick draws up a certain amount of liquid which it puts in contact with a coil. The coil gets heated and vapour is produced.

Everyone has different tastes and that includes how strong you want your vape to taste, how much throat hit you'd like, how much nicotine buzz you'd like and how much vapour you'd like to produce and also how the vape 'feels'

For the vast majority of people an eGo or a vamo or a n other regulated mod with an evod or a Protank or a vivinova or a cartomiser will provide a decent vape.

Aside from the advantages listed in the first couple of replies in the thread a well setup mech mod with a suitably coiled atomiser on it will give a 'better vape' than a regulated mod will.

A Mech mod is literally a battery a connection to screw in an atomiser, a battery holding thing (usually a tube) and a switch. The higher quality ,mechs have higher quality workmanship, higher quality of materials, higher quality of quality control and branding.

A mech will give a 'smooth' feeling vape. One of the Chinese regulated devices will give you a 'pulsed' vape. In a regulated mod it's using Pulse width modulation somewhere in it which is where it fires the atomiser at 6v for some fraction of the time the button is pressed, and how long is part of the 'off cycle' and how long is part of the 'on cycle' depends on what you've set it to.

A ProVari uses PWM but does it better than a Vamo, so a ProVari vape feels smooth despite the fact that it's also pulsing.

In order to get the best out of a mech mod you need to know what it is that you want. More/less vapour? more/less flavour? more/less throat hit etc etc and you also need to know which of the variables you need to tweak to get there.

If you know how to improve this on a mech you can do the same on a regulated mod almost as well. You have a easier time of things on a mech mod as the mod doesn't have limitations on current imposed by any circuitry/wiring in it. At the same time it doesn't have any safety features in it so you need to know what you're doing and why.

My preferred vape is a Kayfun on a v3 ZMax. I have a couple of mechs but I prefer the vape I get from the v3 and I like being able to tweak it a little at different times of the day (more power in the mornings, little less in the evenings) and it turns out I quite like the 'rattlesnake' sound you get on a Zmax.

And thank you VaperCaper, I was unaware the the Provari pulses so something new I have learnt there. I can only use photography as a comparison when trying to learn something, somebody can take a picture and ask me where they are going wrong. I can look at the exif information and advise accordingly, the mech thing for me to learn about needs me to ask as many questions as possible. There maybe explanations of the differences between a mech and a VV?VW but is there anything written down to explain as much as possible of what you do need to know, or is it a case of picking peoples brains on it all the time?

Cheers once again for the help though.
Rich

Back
Top Bottom