What's new

Swollen Glands

al_g

Initiate
Hey!

I started vaping around the 1st October. Ever since starting I've been suffering from swollen glands and extreme soreness around the Adam's apple area. The symptoms are similar to that of a punch to the throat (very different sensation to your average sore throat that you get with a cold). I went to the doctors last week and I've been given a course of antibiotics which I finished yesterday. I'm also due for blood tests this Thursday.

I don't Vape much, probably 5-10 10min sessions per week. The main reason I started vaping was to stop myself from smoking when out and about drinking (the only time I can't control the cravings).

I've tried a few different juices (50/50, 70/30pg even 80/20pg - 3-6mg nic) from different manufacturers (vapemate, suicide bunnies mothers milk, digbys) but nothing seems to make a noticeable difference.

I know it's most likely I've got some kind of long lasting virus but I've also heard of similar symptoms from fellow vapers. I want to try and rule out any obvious possibilities...I'm happy to try anything once.

I'm currently vaping on a VTC Mini Mod with a Crown and Ego Mega tank (kenthal, nickel, SS and titanium coils tried and tested).

Any views or opinions? Any juice recommendations?

Hi mate-I had this exact same experience as you when I started vaping-it turned out it was tonsilitis, and took a few courses to shift.

However, some people can have PG allergies, I am not sure what that causes, but maybe try 100% VG to rule that out?

It most likely is your throat though.

I recommend getting a mint or menthol(strong) flavour-it will sooth your throat, and if you are bunged up it honestly clears your airways, its like supervicks lol.

I always keep a bottle of menthol concentrate handy incase I fall ill-as it was all I could really vape when I was ill.

I hope you get better soon mate, if not, we will all figure it out for you, I see you are quite new, whatever you do DON"T go back to real cigarettes, if it is a PG allergy OK some juices you can't use, but there are loads you can buy 100% VG or easier-make your own. It is so simple and cheap, it is worth doing anyway :).

First time I started about 4 years ago I had tonsillitis about 2-3weeks after starting vaping.
I found the high nic and high pg wrecked my throat. I gave up vaping.
4 years later I'm a month or so in on 70/30 or 80/20 VG/pg juice and 3mg nic. Been fine.
I would say probably a pg allergy or the 50/50 was too harsh.
I wouldn't rule out the the lower pg juices as it could be the 50/50 that started it all! Best of luck and hope you're feeling better soon

Hi mate-I had this exact same experience as you when I started vaping-it turned out it was tonsilitis, and took a few courses to shift.

However, some people can have PG allergies, I am not sure what that causes, but maybe try 100% VG to rule that out?

It most likely is your throat though.

I recommend getting a mint or menthol(strong) flavour-it will sooth your throat, and if you are bunged up it honestly clears your airways, its like supervicks lol.

I always keep a bottle of menthol concentrate handy incase I fall ill-as it was all I could really vape when I was ill.

I hope you get better soon mate, if not, we will all figure it out for you, I see you are quite new, whatever you do DON"T go back to real cigarettes, if it is a PG allergy OK some juices you can't use, but there are loads you can buy 100% VG or easier-make your own. It is so simple and cheap, it is worth doing anyway :).

Hi mate!

I'm hoping its tonsillitis or the likes, time will tell though. It seems apparent that whatever the root cause vaping definitely aggravates the symptoms (which I guess would be expected).

I'm certainly willing to give a 100% VG and menthol flavour juice a try. Any specific recommendations (I'm happy to pay for premium juices)? Is it possible I could be allergic to VG?

I certainly won't be going back to cigarettes now, rancid cancer sticks :).

Hi mate!

I'm hoping its tonsillitis or the likes, time will tell though. It seems apparent that whatever the root cause vaping definitely aggravates the symptoms (which I guess would be expected).

I'm certainly willing to give a 100% VG and menthol flavour juice a try. Any specific recommendations (I'm happy to pay for premium juices)? Is it possible I could be allergic to VG?

I certainly won't be going back to cigarettes now, rancid cancer sticks :).
Hi mate, I make my own juice so I can't myself recommend premium brands, but I can recommend you a concentrate if you DIY? I use chefs vapours natural mint-you literally need 1-2% of this stuff, I add 4 drops to 15 ml of juice, and it is STRONG. At first I made it at 10%, this was great for my infection though.

But, I suggest getting a 100% VG natural mint or menthol flavour. It doesn't need to be super expensive, just get 100% PG if you suspect allergy- but it is likely infection.

Also, remember that quitting smoking can cause sore gums, and I guess throat, due to you now coughing your lungs up of all the crap that is in your lungs. That phase will pass, I promise you-and you will be amazed at the difference. I only smoked for 10 years, I am 25, but stopped smoking around 10 months ago, and it is amazing.

So, I would order a menthol/mint flavour (they seem the same to me) and use that, just for when you are ill. I actually quite like it though-so I do use it occasionally as my normal juice.

Sorry I can't recommend any brands mate, apart from concentrates-I can't afford to get all my vape gear if I payed for premium juice, so I DIY and make my own better than premium :).

I hope this helps, a bit, and I am sure someone else will step in to tell you a good menthol-have a look around though on rainbow vapes or somewhere like that for a 100% VG menthol juice :)

Blood test scheduled for tomorrow...will keep you all updated.

I've not vaped for a few days, no change in symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom