What's new

Squid Industries Double Barrel mod 3FVape

Old thread, old problem...

Possibly a new insight into what causes this issue though.

I got my grubby mitts on a db - 25r cells really wouldn't go in without much struggling - certainly far more pressure than I would ever like to put on a cell, and so much that I wouldn't give the door tabs long for this world.

So I took it apart for a lookie.

The battery contacts up at the top are the cause of the issue...

They are made from a bent piece of flat metal, much like every toy ever.

Because these contacts are wont to compress, there is a coil spring added inside for a little extra pressure and resilience.

The whole caboodle is soldered to the lower PCB - and herein lies the problem...

The assembly technicians are obviously of the mindset "more goop is more better" and they've thrown bucketloads if solder at the job.

What follows is a crap sketch, and a poor description...

IMG_20181222_183225534.jpg

Blue is flat spring
Orange is coil spring
Red is how much solder should be required
Green is how much of the flat spring should flex

However...

Grey is how much solder they've thrown at it
Purple is how much of the flat spring is available to flex due to overdoing the solder

So, the 'recommended' fix of hitting it just distorts the solder - it means the cells might fit, but it means there's still not as much flex as there should be, and it's still too stiff.

So, I filed out most of the excess solder and hey presto if it doesn't bloody work just fine and dandy.

So, that previously mentioned "inflexible battery contacts" thing both here and on the website sale page?

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

It's a blatant falsehood.

What this is, is a pure manufacturing defect caused by cack handed assembly and poor inspection processes.

For shame 3fvape, for shame.

You made up a load of bollocks to shift the blame onto the consumer. If only you weren't so stupid.

Oh, the above is obviously based on a sample of one, but I'd bet a toe on it being the underlying cause of all the issues - it certainly explains why some people have no problems (the right amount of solder) and others can't fit cells without using a hammer (solder spooged bloody everywhere).

Old thread, old problem...

Possibly a new insight into what causes this issue though.

I got my grubby mitts on a db - 25r cells really wouldn't go in without much struggling - certainly far more pressure than I would ever like to put on a cell, and so much that I wouldn't give the door tabs long for this world.

So I took it apart for a lookie.

The battery contacts up at the top are the cause of the issue...

They are made from a bent piece of flat metal, much like every toy ever.

Because these contacts are wont to compress, there is a coil spring added inside for a little extra pressure and resilience.

The whole caboodle is soldered to the lower PCB - and herein lies the problem...

The assembly technicians are obviously of the mindset "more goop is more better" and they've thrown bucketloads if solder at the job.

What follows is a crap sketch, and a poor description...

View attachment 181554

Blue is flat spring
Orange is coil spring
Red is how much solder should be required
Green is how much of the flat spring should flex

However...

Grey is how much solder they've thrown at it
Purple is how much of the flat spring is available to flex due to overdoing the solder

So, the 'recommended' fix of hitting it just distorts the solder - it means the cells might fit, but it means there's still not as much flex as there should be, and it's still too stiff.

So, I filed out most of the excess solder and hey presto if it doesn't bloody work just fine and dandy.

So, that previously mentioned "inflexible battery contacts" thing both here and on the website sale page?

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

It's a blatant falsehood.

What this is, is a pure manufacturing defect caused by cack handed assembly and poor inspection processes.

For shame 3fvape, for shame.

You made up a load of bollocks to shift the blame onto the consumer. If only you weren't so stupid.

Of course, that's the warranty out the window....................

Of course, that's the warranty out the window....................

What good is preserving the warranty on a device that doesn't work, and when the people who are supposed to honour the warranty deny that it's a problem?

Oh, further to the question of warranty.

This particular retailer is stating that this isn't a problem, and is not covered by any warranty. They've replaced a couple as a "goodwill gesture".

The statement on their website is effectively them writing off having to honour any warranty that should be in place.

For people who already have one of these and would like a safe possible alternative to beating a high energy density cell into place (and bearing in mind many have been denied any warranty cover anyway) this might give them a working device instead of an expensive bin filler.

Mechanically and electrically, the original design of a combined spring contact is perfectly sound and a good solution - it's just ruined by inappropriate manufacturing.

Yes, it may invalidate the warranty if the chip fails in future (which apparently isn't hugely unlikely) - but hey, at least this gives the chip a chance to fail before the battery door falls apart or a cell catches fire.

Back
Top Bottom