What's new

Spaced or closed coils, what type of coil would you recommend

Sofir786

Postman
So I've started out quite new to vaping and have a smok mag kit and a vaporesso polar kit too. But my friend has gifted me an rda, a mike vapes recurve rda, I've never done wicking and coils before so just need some pointers. I've watched a few videos but would love more input.

Such as does spacing the coils make a difference, if so what?
What type of coil would be best, either for flavour, cloud or both.

I welcome all suggestions, thanks everyone

I use simple flat wire spaced coils. Spaced are very easy to prime, no hot spots to sort out. Usually ss316 or ni80. But I only vape around 40/50 watts, your style might be different and require bigger or smaller coils. As to the difference in vape between spaced and contact... I don't think that there is one. Well, there probably is but it's imperceptible to me anyway.
This is probably no help, just my experience!

It's your first RDA so build both spaced and closed and while your at it try every type of coil you can make or get your hands on, wires pennies and for the price of 2 stock coils you can buy a fucking giant wheel of different coils to play with and Taylor your vape to how you like it so have fun [emoji6]

Oh yeah. Forgot. I've got that RDA, and I find personally that larger claptons and the like work better in it. However, it's designed primarily for squonking and I found that dripping was a PITA as it has no juice well to speak of. Anyway, I got 'excellent results' with a 3mm ID Alien coil at about 0.3 ohms. I know I said I use flat wire but sometimes the grass appears to be greener up the vape road, so you dip your toes in the cool water of expensive and fancy coils until you see how much juice you're going through for only a marginally more vape-y experience. And go back to flat wire.
I'm sure more experienced and knowledgeable people than me will advise you properly.
Bonne chance!

spaced.... only because I don't understand the benefits of contact coils.

Thanks guys for the suggestions and advice, I just had some coils delivered from Amazon lol, some 24ga and 30ga Clapton coils at 0.4ohms, I will try others as the coils aren't that expensive. From what I've read spaced coils give less spitback? Not sure as I've not had enough experience really. I am planning on getting a squonk mod but just want to experiment until I do, I'm very happy with my sub ohm mods so I'm in no rush.

Spaced, if you have room.

The reason fancy coils are never spaced is that they need to be very long to keep the resistance up, and there isn't room on a deck to space them out.

It will depend on what wire/ribbon/etc etc you are using, and what Ohm'age you are aiming at. Juice budget may play a part..
A tight wrap clapton can be superior to a spaced coil in one respect, but inferior in another.
Play with them!

Safely, obvs.

Back
Top Bottom