What's new

Smok X-Priv charging screen

Those chargers have a good reputation. However they will only be as good as the USB power source you use. To make the most of the charger a quality USB power supply is recommended. Something with an output of 2+ amps from a known manufacturer. i.e Samsung, LG, Apple. The best ones I have found are Official Raspberry Pi PSUs.

Personally I prefer a charger that has a direct to the mains connection. I have been using a 2 Bay Efest Soda for well over a year and it has been very reliable.
I have an Anker true 4.8A (2x2.4A) supply, that should manage just fine.
About phone chargers - worth noting that is OK, but only up to a point. More and more fast charging solutions are becoming commonplace now, most of which bump the voltage up, and one has to be a little cautious with these. Yes the QC chips or whatever do identify with each other at both ends before going into fast charge mode, but if by accident they do, even for a moment, it could wreck the charger instantly, as the voltage can jump anywhere from 9V to 12V or even 20V I think now.

I think I might go with the vc2+, I notice FS are doing the Samsung 25R for £3.79 too, that seems cheap, is that a special offer? I think I paid over a tenner for my two!

I have an Anker true 4.8A (2x2.4A) supply, that should manage just fine.
About phone chargers - worth noting that is OK, but only up to a point. More and more fast charging solutions are becoming commonplace now, most of which bump the voltage up, and one has to be a little cautious with these. Yes the QC chips or whatever do identify with each other at both ends before going into fast charge mode, but if by accident they do, even for a moment, it could wreck the charger instantly, as the voltage can jump anywhere from 9V to 12V or even 20V I think now.

I think I might go with the vc2+, I notice FS are doing the Samsung 25R for £3.79 too, that seems cheap, is that a special offer? I think I paid over a tenner for my two!

Couldn't agree more. Personally I avoid the so called "Fast Chargers" I have seen many SOC type boards toasted by them. When using any USB power source always check the stated output before use.

Still awaiting charger etc to arrive (beginning to wish I'd chosen 1st class now), so with the need to mod charge one more time, I took some more detailed measurements, attached.

Seems to me they started almost identical and followed each other throughout, within 10mV of each other (could've been meter tolerance). I'm not in any way saying it's safe, they are after all brand new batteries, and that could be why it shows on this occasion the charge was pretty near perfectly equal. I know there's no way to know for certain if it's balancing or not without a schematic or reverse engineering it. Or putting two batteries in there of uneven charge, and I don't really want to chance that tbh.
However I can confirm with this mod the negative of batt A and the positive of batt B are permanently connected, so the two are being charged in series, but it's just a matter of whether or not the charge circuit has a centre balancing tap or not.

xprivchgtest1.png

Hi all,

When you plug the charger in, you get a nice graphic of both batteries charging. Can you get the graphic back.

Yeah, that's the screen you get when you turn the mod off and plug it in. If you want to see that the whole time then just turn it off. When you press the fire button you will see that graphic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom