What's new

Smok Alien Faults

Hi moff000,

Yes your'e right, some replies already removed, including mine, interesting........

This now leaves the thread a little disjointed, so might have been better to remove the whole thread ???

As you say the thread is as relevant today as when it was first started.
If the mods don't like old posts being updated, maybe all threads should be removed after they are X months old ? or is that to logical.

I have been insulted on this site on many occasions, called a cunt, for fucks sake, and someone wanted to pour petrol on me, no mods stepped in then....................

Those are some pretty disgusting comments :(

To be perfectly honest with you Guys, it's a bit of a conundrum isn't it? :S
I had thought that one of the reasons why older threads remain is so that we have a reference point for Searches etc. I often delve back into the Mists of Time to either learn something, or to refresh my thinking on certain items.
During a conversation this morning with @junglist we both made the same observations about such things, so I can't see a time coming when we would remove older topics? I can see the possible need to perhaps "Close" a thread when it has had no responses in say a year, but even then, would be somewhat cautious about even that? I suppose what I am saying is that (a) we have a huge encyclopaedic reference resource right here and (b) It's a very fine Line, often with rather blurred edges, that us Staff have to walk. None of us just decide to "do" something just for the hell of it, that's NOT the POTV way.;)

Maybe close a necro-thread when the discussion/info in it is completely out of date? There was one recently that discussed nicotine supply a year ago - not remotely relevant to buying it today. As for the Alien, continued posts about them and Smok's dodgy QC are still relevant I suppose, since Smok don't seem to have actually addressed the problems that seem to plague the mod (never owned a Smok mod, just going on the number of threads that crop up).

I've had two and the last one I bought lasted six months.
It got dropped and smashed three times and by the time it died from the last lot of heat it was more superglue than mod.
Got to hand it to Smok though it took some abuse before giving up.

Came to my first problem with my alien. It came with v1.2.1 firmware and I followed the instructions, downloaded both v1.2.11 and v1.3.2 extracted both made sure they had the config.ini file intact (they did) no matter what I do all I get is "invalid chip ID"

(I watched a video guide on YouTube, the guy did it successfully and never even touched the fire button during the upgrade, he actually mentions not to touch the fire button several times and it worked, yet smok say to keep hold of the fire button throughout the entirety of the firmware upgrade process)

Anyway I contacted [email protected] can hardly say I'm expecting a reply lol

I think k smok have definitely worked on this device though, my paint seems solid (as good as the paint on my coolfire ⁴ plus or kangertech sub vod mega TC, also in a lot of review videos the fire button looks like it has quite a bit of play in the bottom portion when been lightly pressed against, mine however feels solid and doesn't move unless you apply a fair amount of pressure.

Last edited:
I've had my Smok Alien 220 for almost a year now.

I never take it out of the house and don't even use it that much when I'm in the house as it puts out a bit too much cloud to use all the time in my flat. In fact I have probably only charged the two sets of batteries I bought for it about 20 times in total and these charges have mostly been in the Nitecore.

Today when I picked it up I noticed a gap between the top and the front of the body (below where the 510 is). I took the screws out and removed the top to see what was causing it (as it's a year old it's well out of warranty) and there is was a tiny thin bit of plastic that the screw threads go into that had just disintegrated.

No way of glueing them back together as they are way too small.

It still works fine but very disappointed and not sure how I can fix it.

I guess that bit of plastic is poor quality and where it has become warm from use has just become brittle.

Not a single scratch on it though. I would have preferred scratches I think.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, any fixes? Can I just glue it back together and what would be a good glue to use for this that wouldn't be dangerous if exposed to the heat that the tank can warm up to?

Thanks.

I've had my Smok Alien 220 for almost a year now.

I never take it out of the house and don't even use it that much when I'm in the house as it puts out a bit too much cloud to use all the time in my flat. In fact I have probably only charged the two sets of batteries I bought for it about 20 times in total and these charges have mostly been in the Nitecore.

Today when I picked it up I noticed a gap between the top and the front of the body (below where the 510 is). I took the screws out and removed the top to see what was causing it (as it's a year old it's well out of warranty) and there is was a tiny thin bit of plastic that the screw threads go into that had just disintegrated.

No way of glueing them back together as they are way too small.

It still works fine but very disappointed and not sure how I can fix it.

I guess that bit of plastic is poor quality and where it has become warm from use has just become brittle.

Not a single scratch on it though. I would have preferred scratches I think.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, any fixes? Can I just glue it back together and what would be a good glue to use for this that wouldn't be dangerous if exposed to the heat that the tank can warm up to?

Thanks.

It has lasted a year. Mine lasted 363 days. It was on it's last legs. The powder coat was disintegrating and it error-ed every time I changed the batteries. The nail in the coffin was when the cat knocked it over and busted the screws out of the plastic Smok anchored them in. I managed to bodge it together for a day or so until my new mod turned up on slow boat from China. My advice is to move on and get a new mod, just not a Smok. I can't recommend the TeslaCigs WYE 200 enough, it is comparable to the Smok Alien in every way apart from the fact it is infinitely better made.

Thanks for the replies.

I will probably get a new mod but first if I'm going to bin it I might as well try to fix it. Then bin it when the fix fails.

I have some Sugru, a moldable glue that dries solid, and apparently can withstand temps up to 180 degrees C.

Might as well give that a go.

Back
Top Bottom