What's new

Samsung Cease and Desist order?

Surely Samsung are just covering their arse against people misusing batteries and blaming the manufacturer. The battery doesn't know what it's being used for and a vape doesn't do anything unusual electrically.
If a battery is safe up to a particular sustained Amps draw, then it doesn't matter whether it's powering a laser cannon or a doorbell, as long as you don't exceed that Amps limit.

I have many different types of batteries with all sorts of ratings, including Samsungs rated at 30A. I have used them right up to the limit with no issues. I have also used Efans rated at 31A which exceeded my personal temperature limit after six seconds at 22A, so the question is not whether the battery is specifically designed for a particular application - does the battery in your TV remote say "Designed for use with your TV remote"? I don't think so - it's whether you trust the manufacturer's (or re-wrapper's) claims.

Here's what I think the people at Samsung are probably thinking: They know that some vapers are using their 30A batteries in mech mods at resistances as low as 0.14Ohm and getting away with it, so there's a danger some people might think "Aha, Samsungs are good for thirty Amps" and assume that all Samsung batteries are capable of that. The warning is thus to protect themselves against accusations from people who don't read and/or understand the small print.

Surely Samsung are just covering their arse against people misusing batteries and blaming the manufacturer. The battery doesn't know what it's being used for and a vape doesn't do anything unusual electrically.
If a battery is safe up to a particular sustained Amps draw, then it doesn't matter whether it's powering a laser cannon or a doorbell, as long as you don't exceed that Amps limit.

I have many different types of batteries with all sorts of ratings, including Samsungs rated at 30A. I have used them right up to the limit with no issues. I have also used Efans rated at 31A which exceeded my personal temperature limit after six seconds at 22A, so the question is not whether the battery is specifically designed for a particular application - does the battery in your TV remote say "Designed for use with your TV remote"? I don't think so - it's whether you trust the manufacturer's (or re-wrapper's) claims.

Here's what I think the people at Samsung are probably thinking: They know that some vapers are using their 30A batteries in mech mods at resistances as low as 0.14Ohm and getting away with it, so there's a danger some people might think "Aha, Samsungs are good for thirty Amps" and assume that all Samsung batteries are capable of that. The warning is thus to protect themselves against accusations from people who don't read and/or understand the small print.
Samsung don't care. These batteries were never meant for general public sale. Why should they pay the price for dumb Vaperz? Admittedly, I'm playing Devils advocate. But that makes it no less true.

Fogstar, via facebook:

Samsung 25R cells are now printed by the Manufacturer with a warning against the use of cells in vape devices. This is just part of Samsung's efforts to remove cells from the vaping market.

We warned our wholesale vape customers of this change over 4 months ago and recommended switching to an alternative cell.

Please note - It is impossible for us to determine the use of these cells by our retail customers. Many of our customers use cells for doorbells, torches and battery packs just to name a few. So, for now, 25R cells are available on the Fogstar retail website.

25r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom